Beginning the process

b12r

Beginning the process

Post by b12r »

So I have now signed up for an agency to begin the IT recruitment. I plan to attend a fair in Dec/Jan and hopefully land my first IT job for the 2017/2018 school year. I have been a long time lurker on the board (roughly 3 years) gaining a ton of knowledge regarding IT which has come in handy about my future recruitment.

I know what I am about to do is "frowned upon" simply because each case is unique and schools are sometimes looking for certain things. However, for the most part, I am just looking for a generalization of where I might land. I am open to basically any school which I know will help my placement but lean toward Europe (popular I know) and SE Asia ( particularly South Korea and Japan... I guess that is technically East Asia). I am open to basically anywhere, however, those are just places if I "got to pick" I would choose. Hope that makes sense.

After this school year I will have:
-27 years old
-Taught 4 years as a high school Special Education teacher (Also Department Chair for all 4 years)
-Assisted in running summer leadership camps for high school ages international kids in the USA
-Coached numerous sports
-Sponsored a few different clubs
-Was head of a few committees as well

I really don't want to slap my Resume on here (and I know you guys could not care any less). Just trying to get a gauge... maybe more of a mental prep of where my possibilities are landing as far as where I want to be and if it is a decent school. I know first starting out in IT, you basically start at the bottom and work your way up which I am okay with. I am just curious, with my limited Resume listed above, do the "old timers" think I stand a good chance of landing in a location I desire as well as a decent school where I will enjoy working every day.

*Willing to elaborate more on my background also if that will be of assistance in answering my relatively broad question. Thank you guys for the assistance!
Thames Pirate

Re: Beginning the process

Post by Thames Pirate »

There is no telling because you can tick all the boxes and land nothing or tick only a few and land something great. A few things you should consider include 1) whether you want a truly international school or just one that claims the title (student body), 2) what curriculum you want to teach, 3) location vs job balance, 4) long term plans. Is crummy pay and lousy admin worth puttin up with in your dream city? Can you cope with tougher locations as long as the job is what you want? Do you really want to teach AP? IB? When you consider your long-term goals, does the job help you get there?

Once you have narrowed down what works for you, then it's a matter of fit and of selling yourself. You can absolutely get Europe out of the gate, and even a decent school. Why not? But you have to sell yourself a bit.

Take a look at PsyGuy's scoring system. It isn't scientific or set in stone, but it gives a clue on where you can beef up your resume.

Finally, do your homework and step out of yourself. We got a an interview once because I did something I never do--I approached someone in an elevator (got the job, too). Incidentally, I was able to do that because I recognized the director from his photo on the school website and was instantly able to know something and ask a question about his school and the job. We researched schools and fine tuned our resumes over and over. We read blogs and articles on what recruiting was like for recruiters so we could appeal to them in the right way and time. We studied their schools and mission statements as all as noted where third stated values didn't match what programs were highlighted on their website. And we practiced interviewing, going over standard and more creative questions we had heard, organizing a few key anecdotes/examples, etc. We had a few portfolio elements ready to go, but it wasn't something we put much energy into. We took care of ourselves so we could put our best interview foot forward. We networked.

All of this sounds hard, and a tiny bit of it was, but mostly it's attention to detail. Besides, we met cool people on the way, got to revisit and reflect on both how and why we teach, and got to learn about how different schools do things in different places and about life in different countries. So enjoy the process!

You have as good a chance as anyone of landing something decent. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And if IS Brussels slaps you down, try AIS Budapest or something in Madrid. Good luck!
b12r

Post by b12r »

Thanks for the advice. I understand the "anything is possible" idea and of course, even though I am realistic, I hope to land a great job in a great location with great pay... I feel like everyone is (or should) be that way. It really is all about selling yourself to that recruiter.

I heard the saying two summers ago from a Harvard admissions person that was describing to International students how the process of gaining acceptance to the school worked. Basically it boiled down to one sentence that stuck for me as a teacher that I try and relay to my students now "Harvard knows what it can offer you (as a student), but what can you offer Harvard as a student". I feel like this - applies to most IS. I plan on hitting my strengths hard, as hopefully everyone is haha, and if it doesn't work out then it was not meant to be at this time.

Still optimistic, however, but I just wanted a "measuring stick" per se to gauge myself on with my experience. With my research on here and other websites, I have somewhat stuck myself in the Tier 2 group. Not to say I won't hit a homerun but if I landed in Tier 2 in a great location with decent pay I would be ecstatic.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

To start with your coaching, summer leadership, club sponsored activities arent worth anything. Everyone does ASPs. If you had something that was a real niche and the IS needed that niche filled it might have some value, but being able to do common activities isnt worth anything.

The interesting part is your teaching field of SPED/SEN/LS/LD, 4 years is marketable. The problem is that SPED still isnt common in IE, its growing but even the best programs are SPED "lite". What you find are programs at elite and 1st tier ISs that are pretty close to what you would find in a mild needs SPED program, then you have some mid tier (2nd and 1st tier) ISs that have something that is more like learning support. The IS doesnt have a SPED program and they dont generally admit students with IEPs or Action Plans, what they do is have an LS teacher who provides some resource and maybe inclusion based assistance to a few students, these students might be undiagnosed or dont meet the criteria for a diagnosis, in the majority of cases they are high functioning and the parents have interventions in place outside of the IS. The lower tier ISs either dont accept SPED/SEN/LS/LD students or will take their money and not provide any type of resources beyond the general education program.

What this means is that your marketability is either 1) In the mid to upper tier ISs or 2) In a very low tier IS. You arent going to find those upper third tier ISs that are going to have programs.

Upper tier ISs (First and Elite): I dont see you as being marketable yet especially in WE or locations like Japan. These ISs can get 1000 applications for one vacancy. In 6 years and a Masters sure, but youre only one contract (2 years) above an entry level IT.

Mid Tier ISs (Upper third "floater" and 2nd tier ISs): As I addressed above those upper third tier "floater" ISs just dont have SPED programs. Most of them are top independent DSs with a local student population, they arent going to admit SPED students. In 2nd tier ISs they will have authentic LS programs, but they will be IS wide, you may have students that are undiagnosed, have a language deficiency, are at grade level, but the program is advance or accelerated and as a consequence they are a little remedial, or you might have the students who have behavior problems, in addition you may have students that just need a little extra help. I can see you marketable at this level. A few points to consider:

1) A lot of second tier ISs are IB ISs, and while IB is less of an issue in LD (Learning Diversity) then it is for a DIP classroom IT, being able to talk the talk would be very beneficial while recruiting, and being familiar with the concepts and constructs will help a lot when interacting with ITs.

2) I dont know about your state or where your credential is from, but adding a few generalist endorsements in primary or "middle school" will demonstrate that you have the academic background to work with students competently. The vast majority of the SPED work you do in IE has very little to do with SPED and just providing students a little extra help, breaking concepts down into simpler pieces, or just slowing down the rate of delivery. These students have mild needs, but at a certain point you wont be much help to them if you dont understand the material your helping them with.

Lower Tier ISs (Bottom third tier): You will likely get a lot of interest from ISs in this category. These are the ISs that will take coin from anyone and provide nothing. They hire a SPED IT because then they can market that they have a learning support program. It will either be a train wreck asking you to do the impossible with no resources, or it will be a bobble head appointment where all you do is go through the motions of tasking while accomplishing nothing. In those cases you will be a mouth piece for administration making recommendations for the home based on some observations, while being a waypoint for problematic students before going to leadership. The students you find at these ISs are affluent parents whose child was "exited" from whatever DS they were in before.

In general you will find EU ISs have better programs at lower tiers than in Asia. Its socially undesirable to have anything that makes you different in many Asian cultures, anything that sets you apart from the group or norm. Many parents want their children to have the best opportunities in life and those are reduced when you start adding diagnoses to a students record.
b12r

Post by b12r »

Thanks for the honest review psyguy.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Even though comprehensive SPED programs may still be uncommon overseas, most int'l schools do have some type of learning support program (even many 3rd tier schools have some type of "program" even if it is only one or two staff persons). When you could still name schools I went a little crazy and posted the names of numerous 2nd and 3rd tier schools with programs to support this fact but do your own research and you will find it to be true.

Your experience as a SPED teacher/Chair should serve you well as long as at least some of it was resource room, inclusion etc as opposed to solely working with moderate to severe students. Even then it would be of some value if you spun it correctly.

I would apply to any position/school that interests you. Learning Support teachers are in a special situation (not as good as secondary math and science teachers but still pretty good). I know/have heard of many, many SPED teachers getting into amazing schools with qualifications/experience less than yours). A friend of ours recently backed out of a top school in a country that was having some turmoil and then accepted an offer from a another top tier in WE (and she had only a Masters and 2 years experience. Which doesn't prove anything other than that you should be applying anywhere that there is an opening that you qualify for.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I would add apply if there is an opening for which you are only somewhat qualified if you REALLY like the school. You never know. You seem like the type of person who can get something good, though of course it is tough to tell online. Also, while PsyGuy is right about extracurriculars being somewhat meaningless, go ahead and keep them on your CV if there is room--they may end up being a niche and at the very least they show that you take an interest in outside activities/paint a better picture of who you are personally and professionally.

And every school with which we have had a lot of contact/researched extensively/worked has had a SPED program of some kind, even if only for students who need moderate support and not full IEPs. Our current school actually just hired two.
b12r

Post by b12r »

Thank you guys for the encouragement and advice. I promise all has been appreciated.

I am more of a realistic kind of professional but I do plan on applying for some top jobs that I might not be 100% qualified for. In the off chance I get an interview, I feel confident I would compete for the spot... I have been told interviewing is a strong characteristic of mine.

So I have taught inclusion for 2 years as well as resource classrooms for 2 years. I have a degree K-12 special education: general curriculum (basically says I can teach SPED in any grade), I also have a concentration in History/Social Studies. Would this have any sway as to what kind of jobs I can apply for?

I co taught all math for one year my first year with a mainstream teacher as well as co taught history the following year. The last two years I taught all resource classes. Just trying to understand the Special Ed field internationally. I have done the research but a lot is not accessible via the internet.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Service delivery models do vary quite a bit from school to school but in general it seems that most int'l schools follow some type of push-in/pull-out model where you would be offering individual/small group tutoring/enrichment Some also have some co-teaching but this is fairly rare by comparison.

I know that a few years back (because I interviewed with them), SAS (SG) had some subject specific classes for their students in the learning support department and I would have been responsible for teaching several classes (I believe SS was one of them).

You might also want to look into ESF in HK. They run 20+ schools and have a reasonably comprehensive SPED program in some of their schools (ES, MS and HS) and also run a SPED school for moderate to severe students. They are also IB schools which could be a great addition to your CV.

If you are not dead set against the idea of working with/teaching mostly Americans, you might also consider putting in an application with DoDDS. It is difficult to get into it but is generally a very sweet gig with great benefits, very good pay and excellent work/life balance compared to most top tier int'l schools. They also have schools in desirable locations and pay well enough that you could actually enjoy living there (UK, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@b12r

I would agree on keeping your ASPs on your resume, what else would you put in the space if you removed them. ITs are a very homogeneous group, at a certain point your looking for relatively minor and trivial factors when recruiters are reducing the application pool.

Do you have a professional educator credential as well as your degree?
I dont see history/social studies as having much utility as a SPED candidate. It would give you some credibility when working with upper secondary SPED students in those subjects. Whats really valuable is SPED ITs who have backgrounds and proficiency in maths and science subjects especially those with various forms of lexia.

Resource (pull out) delivery is more common in SPED/SEN/LS/LD than inclusion (push in). Typically you have a resource room, and students come see you during their normally scheduled class or they have a resource elective built into their schedule. Case loads and document production are nothing like you would have in a regulated DS.
So whats a typical SPED lite program, this is my experience (and it differs from other contributors on this site. Its usually a large tier 1 school, with an American curriculum (which may also be an IB program). The SPED department will consist of a LS (learning Support) or SEN (Special Educational Needs) coordinator, who will be part of the junior admin team. The coordinator will work closely with the school counselor, and serve as the point of contact for outside third . professionals (doctors, psychologists, social workers). The faculty will consist (depending on the size) of full time resource teachers who provide "pull out" service. they usually work in a resource classroom, and may work one on one of in small groups of students. Typically you will have 1 full time teacher for primary and another for secondary, though of course there could be more. In addition you will have a number of part time teachers (though could be full time) of teacher aids/assistants who will provide "inclusion services" (part time is what really saves the school money (part time means no foreign recruited package, and local hires are much cheaper. Jane student might only need services for literature and social studies class. no reason to have an inclusion teacher in the classroom for art, PE, etc if its not needed).
Where you will see the major differences is in documentation, procedures and classroom issues. Basically, no ARD committees, or endless amounts of paperwork. Before a SPED student is admitted the administration will send the application and supporting outside reports to the SEN coordinator, who will conduct a screening interview with the parents/student. Depending on the services the school provides, if the student can be accommodated by the schools service plan then they will provide an IEP or Action Plan to the parents (through senior administration) describing what services and limits the school will provide and what the fees will be (sometimes parents just leave). If the parents accepts then the student enters the standard placement path, with modification for the students IEP (for instance some students are served for some classes by being placed in a higher/lower grade classroom, though the IEP may indicate no more then one grade lower).
At this point the students SEN teacher will likely have a conference with the parent either prior too or shortly after the student is placed. On the first day the SEN teacher will meet with the student and introduce them to their inclusion teacher(s) and go over the students schedule, etc. the students general ed teachers will be notified, and any special instructions given. Heres where one of the big differences is, typically the general ed teacher has a much more limited purpose in the classroom with the student. The support (inclusion) teacher or resource teacher does the heavy lifting. Usually the student has outside instruction/tutoring time. You may be asked to give the resource teacher a copy of an exam to be administered, etc. The interruption in the classroom is very minimal.
The second main difference is paperwork and documentation requirements. The general ed teacher will typically not be required to do any more paperwork then what they already do for there non SPED students. The SEN teacher will typically do a weekly report, but its a brief report, a few observation, and an update on the students progress. Thats really it.
Usually every couple months the SEN coordinator will review the progress of the student and schedule a conference with the parents, which may often be a telephone conference. They will discuss the students progress and possible modifications to the students IEP. Thats about it. There are no ARD committees and rules and regulatory procedures. The SEN faculty may have a monthly meeting, though once a term or 8 weeks is more common.
Generally speaking chronically, the hot diagnosis are Dyslexia (which include a lot of other mild learning disabilities) and ADHD (which include a lot of other emotional disabilities). Acutely, the SEN department will see acute depression (life events) and muscle skeletal injuries (broken bones, etc).
b12r

Post by b12r »

@psyguy

If by "professional educator credential" you mean a teaching license I do have one from Virginia. I'm looking to "park" my license this year when I begin to live abroad.

Thanks for the detailed description of the SPED lite version a lot of IS use. Completely makes sense compared to the US version.