Venezuela

senator

Venezuela

Post by senator »

Are schools still operating?

I know mainly the poor are facing the worst of it, but if things continue to decline, the expat enclaves will not be safe.

Anyone know anyone working there and have some primary source news?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends where you live, the further outside of Caracas you are the less drama you are likely to encounter and experience. As long as you are paid in USD (or another stable currency) you will have none of the problems the locals have or experience (they make about the equivalent of $15/month and can only afford the state markets that have a handful of products available at any given time). If your making a western salary and have USD there are plenty of well stocked import markets. The most common issue is availability of imports. You can likely find something but if you want specific items or brands its likely to just not be available.

Its not ignorable, tensions are rising and the political and economic situation is not getting better, at some point the stresses will overcome the denial of the government. When that happens it wont be pretty.
lgtallie

Re: Venezuela

Post by lgtallie »

Hi Senator,

I'm currently teaching at an international school in Valencia, Venezuela. Life is pretty normal for us expat teachers. I'm going on my fifth year here and life at school is the same other than not having AC when the power is out and we have to use a generator.

Like PsyGuy said, if you get paid mostly in dollars or another foreign currency (pay close attention to the percentages) then you will have access to imported goods which are more costly but necessary if you don't want to spend all day and night in a line. I mostly shop at local street markets and you can also find items sold by bachaqueros (the word for the people who stand in line all day for the subsidized items and then resell them) at a high markup. Costs have easily doubled because at this time last year I was spending $200 a month and now it is more like $400 per month. If you are getting a local salary then you do not have it easy at all.

For a more local perspective, I like to read the Caracas Chronicles blog: http://www.caracaschronicles.com/. If you are interested in the life of an international teacher here you can check out my blog if you are so inclined: https://teachingwanderlust.com/.
senator

Re: Venezuela

Post by senator »

Igtallie,

Thank you for your current information.