Reference letters

CanChi4

Reference letters

Post by CanChi4 »

My husband is going for a counseling job and is pulling together his references, photos, etc (almost done). I read some of his reference letters, and they are very clinically oriented (his background is predominately clinical save his most recent job at a school). The letters rave about his supervisory skills, programming for mental health, etc as well as his passion for working with children and families. Will those letters suffice? He is hesitant to ask the current school supervisor for a letter as he does not want them to know he might be leaving.
eion_padraig

Re: Reference letters

Post by eion_padraig »

If he's making a career switch and he's not worked as a school counselor or a classroom teacher, then it's what he has got. Again, being a school counselor is fundamentally different than teaching. I'd say "programming for mental health", and "his passion for working with children and families" are in line with school counseling.

For someone looking at being a high school counselor often they want to know if someone is familiar with the university admission process. However, some schools will have high school counselors specialize in 9th and/or 10th grade where this is less applicable.

Again, trained school counselors are a high need area at IS, so this makes it a bit easier.

Be aware that most places want confidential letters of recommendation that come right from the recommender. Again, this probably just means he'll need to have the recommender send it to a schools, Schrole, SA/ISS, etc.

So, I wouldn't worry about this part. I realize you may still worry, but really you shouldn't.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with @eion_padraig the University counselor has increased demand, mental health based school counselors are not in high demand.

In regards to your inquiry, what you have is what you have. Unless your spouse is going to ghost the current DS experience, than even without a letter your IS is very likely to contact the current HOS for a recommendation anyway. Either the IS needs to to ensure no misconduct, or best practices will necessitate that they make contact anyway. This means your leadership is very likely going to discover your spouses intentions one way or the other. Your spouse needs to decide how they are going to present their resume and application packet, if they include the current DS experience than an open conversation with the leadership or HOS who will be contacted for the reference is unavoidable.

As to the content of the letter, most leadership and recruiters could care less about the details they arent looking for evidence of clinical skills or proficiency, most of them unless they were counselors in the past wouldnt know what to look for, they are looking for evidence and details that describe your spouse as a good employee.
poincare

Post by poincare »

I have been teaching overseas for 18 years and have been on both ends of the hiring spectrum. I'm not sure the experience of the previous two commenters on the OP, but neither University nor Guidance Counselors are in high demand. In fact, many international and internationally-oriented private schools in Europe and North America are cutting back on these positions or dropping present staff down to part time. My current school eliminated the university counselor and has no guidance counselor. My previous international school only had a part time position that was combined university and guidance.

To the OP, I don't know where your husband wants to work (as it was not mentioned in the post) but if he has U.S. or Canadian experience, that will certainly be an asset when applying for an international school position.

In his cover letter and any narratives needed for applications, he should be clear that his present employ should not immediately be contacted but CAN BE contacted should an offer be made. Recruiters are (mostly) savvy and would adhere to such statements as highlighted in a cover letter.

And, to the references, if his recommendation writers can speak to his knowledge of university admissions, about any experience related to this, and, as you mention, his interest and passion in working with children. Such qualities will certainly help his application file to stand out.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree on some points of @poincare US and UK admissions systems are more valuable than CAN. While some recruiters will respect a request to withhold a reference request until an offer is made, some wont, and more and more application materials are being handled by office staff before they get too a recruiter. Cover letters are rarely read until a candidate gets to the short list and office staff just follow the directions by the recruiting/hiring committee, send email reference requests as they receive resumes and applications. Unless an IS states in their recruiting vacancy that they will hold reference checks until some later time, what you ask isnt likely to be read.
CountingCarbons

Post by CountingCarbons »

Not to high jack, but my question is similar - I've been teaching at my school three years and don't want my administration to know I'm considering leaving yet. Can I hold off on asking my AP for a reference letter? Should I go ahead and ask? Any suggestions? I don't want to my admin to treat me differently with me considering a school change...
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I hope that someday the traditional reference letter goes by the wayside. If employers are going to contact references anyway, it seems useless.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

A phone call or an email with the section principal and/or school head should do the job and there is always background checks anyway.
Just can't wait to see headhunters shut their shop.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@CountingCarbons

Your situation really isnt any different. If your DS/IS is on your resume you can ask the IS your applying too not to contact your references or current employer but theres nothing keeping a recruiter or leadership or staff from emailing or contacting your current HOS. Most of them are office staff following a script, they dont even read the emails or cover letters. Even if you dont put your current HOS on your reference list or provide a reference letter, there is nothing stopping them from contacting them anyway, and must of them will.

If you really want to control the communication then replace the name of your DS/IS with a generic name like "American Public School" or "British Maintained School", on your resume. You can then include in your cover letter what conditions you will provide current appointment information. The IS may respond with a clarification requesting the name of your current IS/DS and you can decide at what point you will give it to them, understand if you dont comply with whatever they are asking for, they will likely bin your application.

@dredge

CRBs only tell a recruiter if your a criminal or not, they dont provide evidence of being a good employee, which is what references do.