Looking at schools through the eyes of a parent

CanChi4

Looking at schools through the eyes of a parent

Post by CanChi4 »

Looking for thoughts from parents teaching overseas.
Because we have 2 middle school children, I had written off British international schools as I understood it to be a bad idea to put an American educated child into an English school system (is this true for Canadian system as well?). One individual advised my husband to apply for positions at a variety of schools, and have me homeschool the children. It would serve 3 purposes: A) the school would not have to provide 2 seats to our kids (and keep their tuition from full pay families) B) The children could continue an American style program, and C) One of our kids is many years advanced grade-wise, and we have heard that overseas schools don't always recognize grade acceleration.

I imagine that my husband needs to indicate the fact that our kids won't need to attend the school in the cover letter? Where else in a job package would this information go? I plan to work part time as well (my work can be done anywhere, even a school). Should he mention this fact also?
Thanks.
joanveronica

Re: Looking at schools through the eyes of a parent

Post by joanveronica »

I don't think I would mention that your kids will not attend the school your husband is applying to in a cover letter. Maybe in an interview, but even then--not sure if it is appropriate.

I do understand your concern. We have a 7th grader who will be at the school we were hired to work. We are going to just see what happens. We can supplement anything that seems lacking in the school. Are main concern is him having friends and feeling happy and safe.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Having your children in the school in which you work is standard. I don't know of anyone who has home schooled their children while teaching overseas. What would that say to other parents (and faculty) in the school? That the school isn't good enough for your children?

I would not mention this in a cover letter or interview. I would go in expecting that tuition is going to be part of the packaged offered to your husband. International schools tend to be very academic, so your advanced child might actually find a challenge in moving to an international school setting.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

This is one of those things that sounds like it could be a good strategy to appeal to a school's financial interests while possibly creating a better situation for your children. In reality, it seems to rarely work out as a great selling point.

We attempted a similar strategy with our special needs son by assuring prospective schools that we would arrange an alternative educational program for him outside of the school. We figured that would then make us a teaching couple with no children in the eyes of the school (although we would have wanted travel/visa assistance for him) and would have been a win-win for everyone. Sadly no one seemed at all interested in this arrangement even when we demonstrated viable arrangements were in fact available in the area. I can only imagine that schools see this as too unusual a situation or possibly fear that if something outside of their immediate control goes pear shaped they will be left with unhappy, unsettled teachers.

I am sure that there are exceptions and someone has a happy story of this kind. Actually, in thinking about it we did have an out of the ordinary situation work out for us when I found a job at a special needs school where my son was able to attend with me and my wife was then able to secure a job with a large int'l school in the same city (who were luckily familiar with the school).

You may try it and see if you get any interest from potential schools. Someone may see the advantage for the school or at least be willing to consider the arrangement if they are interested in your husband's candidacy. As for the quality of education at int'l schools, obviously this will vary wildly. In most cases I still think your advanced son would be better off attending the school with you/your husband attempting to help him supplement any areas where you feel he is not being challenged.

Good luck!
CanChi4

Post by CanChi4 »

See? You all thought of things I never would have on my own. Very helpful!!!
Thanks!!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I think you would be doing a disservice to your kids if they didn't attend the school. One of the primary reasons we went overseas was to expose our children to other cultures and where do kids do most of that, in school. I also think you are putting the cart before the horse, in thinking you need to keep your advanced child out of school. Who is to say what the school does or doesn't offer and lets face it in middle school academics are not the only important factor, socializing and learning to work with a wide variety of people are equally important skills that adolescents continue/begin to learn in middle school. And finally, as a teacher who has taught in both Canada and the United States I don't believe you will find a tremendous difference between the two systems, especially overseas.
mamava

Post by mamava »

The families that I've known that have homeschooled their children were missionaries who raise their own support and can't afford fees. They also by and large were already homeschooling their kids before they went overseas.

As a parent who was homeschooling before we started teaching overseas, I am so glad we didn't keep it up. Overseas schools become center hubs for activities and social connections. This has been true for us in Africa as well as in large urban cities. Even if you land in a big urban area like Beijing or Shanghai which provides activities for local children there are real cultural and linguistic hurdles that might be challenging. It could be pretty isolating, depending on your children's temperment/personality.

You would have to somehow clue the school into your plans if you move ahead. On paper your husband is a single teacher carrying 3 dependents and that will be a problem. School fees aside, there are issues of housing, insurance, visas, and flights--all of which wouldn't come to you as non-employees/sponsored family members...and which many schools will have a problem sorting out with you. We had a job offer in which we offered to pay all costs and fees for our oldest for his final year in school--just one year and then we'd be back down to 2 teachers/2 kids and after several conversations, they wouldn't do it.

I taught in a British school and I wouldn't necessarily rule out the school as an option. Yes, it is very different and they are focused on the ICGSEs, but again, depending on your child's temperment and personality, it might be something that works out for you.

Good luck!
coin_operated

Post by coin_operated »

I'm an American who teaches English in a British school.

The biggest difference is English classes in America place a much greater emphasis on nonfiction writing (i.e. research papers). In British schools, research comes much later and is generally done in humanities rather than English. Other than that, there isn't a big difference between what is taught in English in US vs UK schools until you get to A Level (11th and 12th grade). But even if you get that far, I wouldn't say one better than the other - it all depends on the individual student.

I'd be less picky about the nationality of the school and more picky about the curriculum. A British school that does IB should be fine if you're worried about the school's British-ness clashing too much with the US system?
CanChi4

Post by CanChi4 »

Thanks to those of you who wrote about the British vs. American style of school. That would open up a lot more schools for us. Because we are an multicultural, international family we want our kids to have the experience of living overseas. The children are getting on board with that idea as well (they were very nervous at the thought originally). The homeschool idea came from the issue that my husband and I are in the same field and that may work against us. If the school didn't have to enroll both kids my thought was they would be more open to hiring just one of the spouses. I didn't think it would come across as an insult to the school for us to say "no thanks" to their educational system.
Anyway, thank you so much for the info!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont generally disagree with the previous contributors. I also strongly believe you are in error by excluding BSs (British Schools) the stories you hear of children growing up in boarding BSs such as Eaton, etc, do not describe the majority of international BSs which have a much more homogenized environment. In many cases the only way you would tell a BS from an AS or even an IB IS s if your are really paying attention at exam times. Otherwise biology and history and any other subject is going to look very much the same regardless of what the ISs ethos is. The differences become more visible in boarding ISs but otherwise the differences are often minimal.

I would also strongly advise against trying to manipulate your logistical factors such as family size to appear more marketable. Yes, tuition waivers are a large component on paper of an OSH costs, and more so at an IS that is at capacity or has lists, but at smaller less established ISs that have seats, it costs little to give one to a faculty student, their cost is a negotiating strategy on paper, but the incremental cost of actually implementing it is negligible. If an IS wants a candidate than awarding another seat or waiver is one of the easiest things an IS can do. There is a lot more into having a trailing spouse and dependents than seats and waivers, it includes flights, insurance, housing, etc.. Your logistical factors are what they are an IT with a trailing spouse and 2 dependents.

Im sure your child is many years advance at their current DS, but you dont know what the academic expectations are at your new IS, they might be higher they might be lower, but you will likely be surrounded by well resourced students who have strengths and weaknesses. You may find the student body is fairly advanced in regards to maths and already multi lingual among other academic areas. Lastly, every parent thinks their child is a special snowflake and gifted.

Where I diverge from the previous contributors is the issue of not enrolling your child or children in the IS. They will give you the seats and waivers you are entitled too, but if you keep your intentions personal and private, meaning you dont address them or bring them up during the recruiting process or otherwise make them an issue (because you think its an issue that will benefit them) no one in leadership is likely going to know or care what you do with your children. You can always describe that your child has special needs served outside the IS if asked, and leave it at that.
I wouldnt advise it though ISs provide a great deal of social and cultural opportunity for children outside of academics. If they dont enroll even if your spouse is the best IT/DT and will do better than your IS in education, they will miss out and a tremendous amount of social growth opportunity. It can be done, but is going to have real world costs both economic and in regards to time.
If you want to however, its not an issue to not enroll your children in the IS.