Chances of getting hired

perfume27

Chances of getting hired

Post by perfume27 »

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some advice on whether or not I would be likely to get a job abroad (particularly Japan) and just some general advice about different places in Asia!

My background: Am currently a teacher at a girls secondary school in the UK teaching IB Biology and ESS and am in charge of the Environmental Science department (this is my second year teaching - have QTS). I have experience teaching largely IB for 6th form (haven't taught MYP), GCSE and also a bit of A-Level. Before returning to the UK and becoming a qualified science teacher, I was teaching English in Japan for about three years. I'm also female and in my mid-late-20s, not sure if that's useful info or not!

I've always longed to go abroad again and I am hopeful of returning to Japan, but having looked online, it sounds like it's quite competitive. I know I've missed the boat on being hired this year as it's far too late, but am wondering what are the chances of being hired for next year? I wondered if having an English conversation background would be an advantage or disadvantage, and whether I should try a different place (perhaps Seoul, or Hong Kong).

Should I contact the schools directly or is it better to go through an agency like Search Associates? They seem quite professional from what I've heard?

Also what are your thoughts on Tokyo vs. Seoul vs. Hong Kong? What are the main differences in terms of salary/living standards/how easy it is to settle in etc.

Sorry for the many questions!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Chances of getting hired

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. Jobs in decent to great int'l schools will always be competitive and Asia (especially Tokyo, Seoul and HK) is considered an attractive destination for many people. That being said there are many openings every year and you should be in a decent position to find something in the region that interests you.

I would definitely look into Search to help with applying for schools and to access their database of schools/jobs. It should be free for you since you are in the UK. You can also apply directly to schools but having a file with Search can be helpful (all of your references in one place, etc).

We live near Tokyo and recently visited HK so I will throw my two cent in. You know that Tokyo is amazing from having lived here and would not have much of an issue settling in. The problem is that there are relatively fewer decent to great schools that would offer the kind of package you would need to have a good quality of life. There are some though so you should certainly apply wherever and whenever you can.

HK was also amazing from our brief visit with the added benefit of English being much more common. It is one of the most expensive places to live for expats but like much is of this is variable and somewhat within your control. We have a close friend who has been teaching there at a smaller school (with a less than great package) and she feels that she has done just fine as far as lifestyle and being able to save a bit. HK also has the advantage of having one of the largest collections of decent to great schools within the commuting area. In addition to a number of independent schools, HK has ESF which is competitive but could be a great possibility for you. They run 20+ schools and offer a reasonable package. They are British based but have since switched over the IB which would also be great for your int'l career (and your IB experience would be a plus with recruitment for them).

I can't speak much for Seoul although I have heard it is very similar to Tokyo in terms of costs, number of schools etc. In general your ESL experience will not carry much weight with int'l schools but it should show that you have lived and thrived overseas which would at least give you a leg up on a similar candidate who has never lived/worked overseas.

That's my two cent for what it's worth. Others may have different experience/opinions.
perfume27

Re: Chances of getting hired

Post by perfume27 »

Thanks for all of your advice - super helpful! I'll definitely check out the ESF as I hadn't heard of that before and I think Hong Kong is definitely worth researching a bit more!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I so love having a unicorn on this forum, less sunshine ahead.

HK, JP and SG are considered the little tigers in Asia they are highly competitive and desirable areas, and everyone wants to work there. There is a great deal of competition for thses regions and some of the elite tier ISs can get 1000 vacancies for a single vacancy. ITs wait years and their whole careers and never get into those ISs.
That said you have a better than most resume for your level of application. Your prior ESOl experience means nothing but you are a science DT which is high needs, already have IB and school leaving level experience and independent DS experience which is very similar to what most ISs are.

I wouldnt advise SA or ISS for you at this time, SA tends to be more AS focused, and your strengths are going to be at BSs with an IB program I would focus on CIS (much like SA and free) TES which is the majority of BSs and TIE online. Very likely you will find something you like using one of those methods. You can then decide if SA or ISS is the right choice for you, but in general premium agencies provide more utility the broader your job search is,a nd you have a very focused job search. You would very easily be looking at some of the mega fairs and finding only a couple JP ISs that would attend. It would be a simple matter to bookmark the handful of JP ISs and apply when they have a suitable vacancy.
Another option for Japan is to just go and teach ESOL, many of the 3rd tier vacancies will be at DSs and will offer nothing more than a local package and will want you in country for a teaching demo, or will require you already have a visa. Getting those appointments will be a function of simply being there.

For HK, ESF is the gateway IS into HK. HK is very difficult to break into but once you are there and the OSH package becomes less important, moving around within HK is relatively easy to do. The SA HK fair is literally little more than a swap meet for HK ITs and ISs.
I agree with @WT123 that HK is a very high concentration of high quality ISs, even the bad ones are still pretty good, you just dont stay in business in HK offering inferior programs, there is too much competition. However, depending on your standard and expectation of living you will likely find that at some point to live a lifestyle that isnt reminiscent of being a Uni student you will likely explore ways to supplement your income.
Jp on the other side of the coin has a lot of momentum in education, there are a lot of JP ISs both in and out of Tokyo that just keep enrolling students and collecting fees and delivering little in terms of quality education, especially when it comes to primary and kinder (nursery and reception).

SK is really Seoul, there are some low tier ISs outside of Seoul but there tends to be a very empty middle tier ISs in SK. There are a small handful of well established 1st tier ISs and the rest of which they tend to be a small group of third tier ISs, that are little more than SK independent DSs for locals. The rest tend to be ESs that are running various EAP programs. Living in Seoul is very much like living in Tokyo, though the interaction with others is more like Shanghai than Tokyo. Tokyoites tend to be more refined and sophisticated (old money), Seoul is more like living in the suburbs with new money, though its not as bad as Shanghai.

Your post mostly focused on specific parts of Asia but if you are interested at all in staying in EUR, than your British passport (at least for now) can open up a number of doors in some of the most desirable places to work in IE, especially late in the year. Working in Paris, Geneva, Rome, etc. is very realistic even this late in the year.