How to define PYP in a simple way ?

missy

How to define PYP in a simple way ?

Post by missy »

Hello,

I am trying to read up on the PYP curriculum as I do not have any experience with it.
Just wondering if anyone here has experience with the PYP curriculum ?
How would you explain it to someone in a simple yet concise manner ?
Any good websites I can take a look at ?

Thank you.
auntiesocial

Re: How to define PYP in a simple way ?

Post by auntiesocial »

The PYP is a framework rather than a curriculum.

It prescribes a set of features that your curriculum (or units of inquiry) should contain, and a particular educational philosophy you are expected to adopt in its delivery - namely social constructivism.

Each unit you design has a 'central idea' and a set of 'lines of inquiry' in order for students to 'discover' particular understandings. The PYP has a list of suggested 'interdisciplinary themes' and 'key concepts' that should be interwoven through the unit.

In an ideal world, students could co-construct their inquiry questions, although PYP practitioners differ with respect to how feasible this interpretation is. As implied above, an inquiry approach (another term for discovery learning) is prescribed. Teachers differ in terms of how much guidance or scaffolding should accompany this inquiry approach. Many schools run PYP concurrently with a particular national curriculum or set of published standards.

Hope this helps
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its organic project based subject integration. If you ever heard of "reading across the curriculum" or "writing across the curriculum" or "technology across the curriculum", PYP is a group of subjects integrated across the curriculum that produce some kind of project as the outcome for a specific unifying theme.
auntiesocial

Post by auntiesocial »

Its organic project based subject integration. If you ever heard of "reading across the curriculum" or "writing across the curriculum" or "technology across the curriculum", PYP is a group of subjects integrated across the curriculum that produce some kind of project as the outcome for a specific unifying theme.

No. It's not!

There is only one mandated project in the PYP, which is the exhibition in the final year of the programme. To define the IB as project based is simply incorrect. Although project work is encouraged, a unit of inquiry does not require a project. Nor must subjects be "integrated accross the curriculum". A unit can be designed to have a single subject focus or to be interdisciplinary. Your synopsis is not at all supported by the PYP literature.

Psyguy. I know it's important for you to sound like an authority on every topic and that you can never be wrong. However, many of your posts mislead international teachers. I implore you to refrain from posting on matters where it is obvious that you have no knowledge.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@auntiesocial

Yes it is, the LW isnt asking how PYP can be like a typical stranded curriculum classroom. Yes a UIs theme can have one single subject, its not common and rare.
Of course its curriculum across the curriculum thats what transdisciplinary means.
No exhibition doesnt have to be a project, exhibition is the culmination of portfolio in PYP.
I only post from experience or reliable and trusted sources, I agree you should stop misinforming ITs.
auntiesocial

Post by auntiesocial »

Psyguy. I will say this again. There is absolutely nothing that you say that is supported by the literature.

Missy asks for for a synopsis for the PYP. I gave her one. You have provided ill-informed nonsense. It is not rare to have a stand alone mathematics unit. It is very common. Again, you are wrong.

On the exhibition; from the PYP literature: "The exhibition is collaborative and student-led, in-depth inquiry facilitated by teachers". Again, you are wrong.

Absolutely everything I have stated is outlined in the PYP literature and practised throughout the many IB world schools I have been priviledged to collaborate with. If you can justify any of your claims from the literature, I encourage you to do so.

Otherwise, stop misinforming teachers.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@auntiesocial

Since we are repeating ourselves. All of my data is supported by the literature and in practice. Your lack of identifying PBL as common element and reflection of what the PYP and inquiry based education is not supported by the data.

Your post explain nothing nor describes anything but terminology, its the equivalent of claiming water is wet.

No you are wrong by your own example, no where in your statement is the term project stated.

I agree, stop misinforming ITs.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

PsyGuy, I have to agree with auntiesocial. Sometimes you post on subjects without knowing what you are talking about. The recet IB results thread was a classic example--you quit posting when we called you out. Are you now also an expert at the PYP? Sometimes you are better off realizing that other people might know more than you on a topic.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Only data matters. I only post on topics I have experience and knowledge with or from trusted and reliable sources. I was not aware i had left that post unanswered I will review it and reply, thank you for the oversight.
auntiesocial

Post by auntiesocial »

Psyguy. You have not provided any "data". You're embarrasing yourself.

Do you ever wonder why you are endlessly called out on threads for making things up? Dozens and dozens of people continuously refute your nonsense and you refuse to believe that the common denominator is you?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@auntiesocial

PYP is transdisciplinary, and inquiry focused. You have not provided any data. Data is not mallable to opinion, nor are your claims self authenticating.

I post only from my own experience and knowledge or from reliable and trusted sources, and i am not going to substitute that data with yours because you deem it so.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

And what data have you posted on this or the other thread? There are a lot of things that matter a whole lot more than data, but even given the context of the remark and allowing for the fact that in that instance data matters, one would assume you have some data to share about the PYP. You have not done so.

It is interesting how you disappear when called out on threads, though. But of course you saw all the responses until your position becomes untenable. May I ask how many years you taught PYP?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

We disagree, only data matters. I require neither your consent or counsel on what or when I post contributions. You may ask.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Fair enough, but you undermine your own credibility and expose yourself as a liar and a fraud when you keep talking after you have been called out. That's your call, though.

Data matters when making decisions, for sure. I tend to think things like kindness matter as well, though of course you are free to disagree.
auntiesocial

Post by auntiesocial »

Thamespirate.

I keep forgetting that it's quite futile arguing with him. He contradicts himself with almost every post and will never address the original argument, only change the goalposts and throw out constant straw men and semi-literate red herrings. He never provides any data and never will. That's why in his mind he can never be wrong when he constantly refers to this fictional 'data' of his that he doesn't even present.

The only real value is pointing out his misinformation on posts in order to help those who actually want proper answers. The more people who are aware that he simply makes things up, the better.