Starting international teaching after PGCE - options?

OzGrad

Re: Starting international teaching after PGCE - options?

Post by OzGrad »

Hey Joe

Just to let you know I landed a PYP job in SEA (hardship) straight off the bat.

It has been a good experience, however, I will return to Australia next year to enable me to transfer my provisional registration to full certification. Although I would prefer to stay international I feel it's prudent to get my full cert. to open doors in the future.

I would advise against spending money on an online IB course as IB is something that needs to be lived.

Cheers
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@joe30

Many ITs get their training and first experience in IB either domestically or in a hardship location. Your scenario will be more difficult and more improbable, as you dont have any classroom experience at all. There will be a lot of applicants who have the requisite 2 years of post certification experience likely in a primary classroom to draw upon. Those applicants are going to be less of a risk, your asking a recruiter and leadership to not only absorb the risk that youll be successful in PYP and IB but that youll be successful as a IT/DT. For all they know you will be one of those many, many DTs that leave the profession, and maybe running and screaming when you make that exit. You have more unknowns than the entry level IT candidate.

As I wrote, some hardship ISs may not have a strong pool of candidates or have many options. IB (including PYP) is costly, an IS with the resources to do IB is likely to have stronger comp in the region and what applicants there are available or interested are more likely going to compete for those IB vacancies.

I wouldnt agree with that, IB ISs fill a lot of the 2nd tier, they are a bridge in general between 3rd tier and 1st tier ISs, you want the highest tier appointment you can get regardless of curriculum. Strong performance, best practices and reputable references have far more utility than checking off IB/PYP. The better the IS the more resources/mentoring that will be available, this increases your success and performance probability. If you go to a hardship location thats under resourced the probability of poor performance, negative references, etc. is going to make that PYP experience meaningless, especially if you have to ghost it.