Parking my Certificate

hallm

Parking my Certificate

Post by hallm »

I just renewed my Kansas teaching certificate for 5 years.

I plan on teaching overseas long term and would like to move/park my license someplace where I won't have to worry about PD.

I don't think I can do New Jersey because I'm basically a full time tech director now and haven't taught 2 out of the past 3 years.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Dredge

Re: Parking my Certificate

Post by Dredge »

Missouri!
hallm

Post by hallm »

Dredge wrote:
> Missouri!

Why Missouri? A friend of mine had his there, but I think he said he had to live in Missouri to renew ?

Mark
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

If you qualify, it is good for 99 years. You don't have to live in Missouri. Google the Missouri Department of Education and search for.qualifications for teaching licensure.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not Missouri, if you meet Missouri's requirements you meet NJs requirements, and NJs are still easier, its also a true lifetime certificate. Missouri as a pathway is only recommended if you have a doctorate and are looking for immediate certification that doesnt require an EPP/ITT program.

Your experience as a technology coordinator as long as it is in a K-12 environment would be considered acceptable experience, ("teaching" is a generic term), you do not need to conduct classes to be considered as "teaching", nor does the teaching need to be in the area you are seeking certification.

The other option is CA, which is the gold ring/standard in US education, however you will need an ESOL certificate and a Masters degree to be eligible for the CA CLEAR certificate.
hallm

Post by hallm »

I was worried by the NJ requirement that said:

"Hold valid standard certificate issued by another state and demonstrate at least two effective years of teaching within three consecutive years of the last four calendar years, as documented by letter from applicant's supervisor or appropriate district representative ".

I hadn't been teaching (just tech director), and I wanted to get everything hammered out this summer so I applied and was accepted for a 99 year license in Missouri!

I went through pretty quickly and so now I'm good. I have a master's degree and enough experience I don't have to worry about PD anymore :-) !!!

Thanks for the suggestion!!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@hallm

You didnt have anything to worry about with NJ, the risk was getting approved for the career certificate in Missouri, you were so no issue, but if you werent it would have been easier to abandon Missouri. If you meet Missouri requirements you meet NJ requirements, and if you have a Masters and ESOl certificate CA is the gold standard.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Every time I have suggested Missouri, psyguy discredits it, yet it is the easiest route if you have the experience. I'm glad it worked and hope others find out about it before something changes.

On another note, I just received my Admin license through Washington DC, if anyone is interested in going that route as well, I can provide assistance.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

And psyguy, why do you keep insisting that a 99 year license, without having to do PD, is not a "lifetime" certificate? Do you know any teachers out there that are around 130 years old? Put the booze down and stop drunk posting.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Dredge

I discredit it because its wrong, setting aside the debate of lifetime vs. 99 years, It would appear your position is that they are differences without distinction.
MO is not the easiest route, DC is, but of the states that offer a lifetime or comparable credential NJ is the easiest. If you meet MO certification you meet NJ certification. There are three rationals for NJ certification of MO.

1) Social recognition: No one knows where MO is and no one cares, it doesnt have any social status or prestige.

2) As Ive written before if you meet MO requirements you meet NJ requirements, and you meet them sooner. MO requires 3 years of experience and NJ only 2. The rest of the requirements are equivalent. NJ offers a much broader range of certifications, you cant get certified in MO in history or physics for example, you have to settle for a composite certificate in science or social studies.

3) The strongest argument is that NJ is a "fail safe" process. If you arent successful in MO with getting the career certificate you get an initial certificate which has numerous requirements to qualify for the career (lifetime) certificate, and you wouldnt be able to accomplish them without working in MO. NJ in contrast provides you with a lifetime (no PD) certificate whether you are successful in getting the standard certificate or not. In the unlikely event you dont qualify for the standard certificate you would qualify for the CEAS (Certificate of Eligibility with Advance Standing), both the CEAS and Standard certificates are lifetime credentials to provide classroom instructional services and require no PD.

MO has its place in IE, if you have a doctorate and need/want a K-12 teaching credential MO will give you an initial certificate by completing a Meds/Peds exam.

I have written extensively on obtaining an admin credential though D.C.