Contacting schools directly - when?

CanChi4

Contacting schools directly - when?

Post by CanChi4 »

For those of you who chose to contact schools directly, when did you start sending out your emails? Some articles suggest late Fall. Isn't that too late?
I remember a few posts giving suggestions on who to send the information but can't find the posts. What has worked for you?
Thanks!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Contacting schools directly - when?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

What time frame are you thinking about? Generally, schools start thinking about recruitment for the following year not long after the current year begins. So, if you were looking for a position for the upcoming school year (2016-2017) you ideally would have started contacting schools and looking into job fairs as early as last Oct./Nov.. That doesn't mean that schools fill all of their positions that early but they do start hiring that early if they feel they have the right candidate.

That said, positions for many schools will be filled right up until schools starts (and a few beyond). Basic rule of thumb is to get your name and details out as early as possible and then follow up again a few months later with schools that you are really interested in.
CanChi4

Post by CanChi4 »

No, I know it's too late for this Fall. We are looking at the next year ('17/'18). So, you recommend contacting them early Fall? I have noted posts which stated individuals started contacting schools in summer, Oct, or even as late as November.

As far as who to contact, I read that If you are submitting a cold application, consult the ISs HR/Employment website which may list an email for submissions. I also read that some send an additional email to the principal. Good idea?
Walter

Post by Walter »

Find out when the school starts and then wait four to six weeks before sending your stuff to be sure that the Admin aren't preoccupied by all of the business surrounding the beginning of the year.
Remember, this is like fly fishing: the better your bait, the better your chances; you may have to make 100 casts before you get a nibble!
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

Here is a link to an ISR Blog you may find helpful

https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... directors/
CanChi4

Post by CanChi4 »

Thank you all!!!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Most recruiting starts in late October when ITs are required to provide intent of advance contract renewal or resignation. Before that many ISs are still dealing with start of term issues, but elite tier ISs start as early as the year before the new academic calendar. These ISs want their short list done and their interview candidates before the start of fair recruiting which is early January and before the holiday break.

I would advise you apply only when you have a vacancy to apply for, cold applications are rarely fruitful and often ignored or discarded.