Where in Africa would you go?

Sonnypest264

Where in Africa would you go?

Post by Sonnypest264 »

As one year ends thoughts for the IT have to look further forward. My family will do one more year at our present international school and then look to move. One area that has come to mind is a move to Africa for something totally different culturally for us and our son. With both IB and CIE experience we hope to have a broad range of places to consider but know little about the current stability of the various countries on the continent. Where have people taught that they would go back to and where would you consider as a safe place with good schools that we could investigate further?

Also Africa rarely comes up on the TES and I'm not sure about Search or other agencies. What avenues would you suggest for finding out about forthcoming opportunities? Not really concerned about attending fairs.

Thanks for any feedback.
sitka

Re: Where in Africa would you go?

Post by sitka »

Jobs in Africa come up less because there are less schools. The UAE, with a population of less than 10 million, has more international schools than the entire continent of Africa (with a population of roughly 1.1 billion).

However, it can be done - I am off to Africa for the upcoming school year. I will share my "starting point" list with you from earlier this year. This list isn't supposed to be evaluative - it is a list of international schools in Africa that are non-profit, non-boarding, non-religious, primarily international (in terms of student body), and large enough to support a decent-size graduating class (this might not matter if you teach primary, but I am in secondary). This criteria was important to me when I was looking - it may be less so to you. I've also excluded North Africa, because I've already lived and taught in the MENA region and was looking for something new culturally.

Angola: Luanda International School of Angola (LISA)
Botswana: Westwood International School, Gabarone (WIS)
Congo, Democratic Republic of the: American School of Kinshasa (TASOK)
Ethiopia: International Community School of Addis Ababa (ICS Addis)
Ghana: Lincoln Community School (LCS)
Kenya: International School of Kenya (ISK)
Madagascar: American School of Antanarivo (ASA)
Malawi: Bishop Mackenzie International School (BMIS)
Mozambique: American International School of Mozambique (AISM)
Namibia: Windhoek International School (WIS)
Nigeria: American International School of Abuja (AISA) and AMerican International School of Lagos (AISL)
Rwanda: International School of Kigali (ISKR)
Senegal: International School of Dakar (ISD)
South Africa: American International School of Johannesburg (AISJ), American International School of Cape Town (AISCT)
Tanzania: International School of Tanganyika (IST) and International School of Moshi (ISM)
Uganda: International School of Uganda (ISU) and Kampala International School (KISU)
Zambia: International School of Lusaka (ISL) and American International School Lusaka (AISL)
Zimbabwe: Harare International School (HIS)
Sonnypest264

Re: Where in Africa would you go?

Post by Sonnypest264 »

Thanks you #sitka and #fine dude that is a great start.

I notice many of those listed are American, is that because you are used to that system? Would they have IB curricula?

-----------------------------
Moderator has locked this topic and removed a post from it.

We appreciate your participation in the ISR OPEN FORUM but clearly ask that you not post or request evaluation type information about schools, be it from a positive or negative perspective. You can see the details of our guidelines at the following URL

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... ?f=7&t=306

The MEMBER FORUM (located in the MEMBER area of the web site) is expressly for posting a request for evaluation type material about schools.

The MEMBER FORUM can be reached at the following link.

https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... ers/forum/

You may request on this forum that someone post a review or comment on the MEMBER FORUM for you.

Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ben @ ISR