Retired and going Back in 2017-2018

senator

Retired and going Back in 2017-2018

Post by senator »

I have decided that, after my retirement next year, I am going back overseas to teach - there's no way I can stop working.

I want to go back to Asia, where I have all of my experience. Any ideas?

Or, any other areas where a mid- 50's man can work and enjoy life?

Thanks for any help.
Rob

Re: Retired and going Back in 2017-2018

Post by Rob »

I will be turning 70 in a few months, and I have doing what you'd like to do. I retired from 40+ years overseas teaching in international schools in 12 countries. I retired at 62 from a good school in Singapore. Then I accepted one year assignments in Vietnam, Jordan, and Egypt. The difference was that I chose to teach because I wanted to experience those countries. I just completed a very good year teaching part-time at a private school in the States where I am more semi-retired than retired.

I'm not sure if I'll teach overseas, but if the opportunity presented itself, I would if the school was nearer to the States and other factors. Also, I am a member of "International Supply Teachers", a group that deals with schools that need an emergency substitute teacher for anywhere from 3 months to a year. I'm actually at the point now, though, where I am way over the age limit that schools overseas will hire, so that just might keep me retired.

Keep your subscription to TIE current, and I'm sure something will come up. As for Asia, I love it, but there's something about being stuck in an airplane and airports for more than 25 hours that just does not appeal to me anymore.

Best of luck.

Rob
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

You should know better, you have to give us more on what you are looking for and what your priorities are?

What do you mean by "enjoy life"?
Is that an armful of local girls you cant pronounce their names but theyre easily half your age?
Does it mean you wont have to do without a certain degree of imports?
How important is the availability of medical care?
How important is the comp and the package, is your retirement enough that you really just want an easy classroom without the drama even if it means your getting closer to a local comp and package?
What are your interests and lifestyle? Do you want to be in an expat community, or would you rather be a monk and find enlightenment? Any special interests or hobbies (beach bum and want sand under your feet daily, etc..)?
senator

Post by senator »

Psyguy,

I'm thinking about a place like the Philippines, Sri Lanka, or Ubud on Bali. I've spent time in all of these places.

I want warm weather, simple life, get up in the morning, sip coffee on he porch of my small, secluded bungalow, eat healthy, exercise outside, ride my bike or motorcycle everywhere, maybe hook up with the occasional expat or western tourist.

I was thinking applying to the school in Cebu, Philippines. The school in Colombo, Sri Lanka, maybe, but I hated Colombo, too dirty, loud, crowded,, etc.

I could do SA or CA but those place seem to be the "too popular" expat retirement havens - if I hear Cuenca, Ecuador one more time or "the wonders of Panama"!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Doesnt really sound like you need our help. Bali is pretty touristy and Jakarta is a mess. Sure the Philippines would fit your needs but Cebu, Davao and Manilla where the ISs are, are just as much a mega city nightmare as Jakarta or BKK is.

Small secluded bungalow screams southern Thailand to me. I know this is an IE site, but have you thought of somewhere like Guam? If you have a decent retirement Puerto Rico is a mess, but you could easily find a position there and a bungalow. Similar is true of the Caribbean. Another option is NZ or AUS a DS on the coast would give you what you want.

If you already have the coin and you just want to keep busy consider ESOL and EE, then you can go wherever you want.
senator

Post by senator »

I was also thinking rural China - I posted on this and you gave me a lot of info. I speak the language and in the right countryside the pollution won't be bad. Might be kind of desolate, though.
senator

Post by senator »

Know any rural schools in Indonesia? The oil schools in the mountains?

How is Eastern Seaboard in Pattaya, Thailand?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

If you adopt your wants, China could work. There just isnt the combination of weather, beach life, social opportunities and access. Dalian is probably the closest you find, and no one in IE associates China with "Simple" as an expat.

I wouldnt wish those mining ISs on you. Its compound living surrounded by a major mining operation. Doesnt fit anywhere close to the description you made.

Eastern seaboard would absolutely work, move to the Southern part of Thailand and its easier to cross the border into Malaysia, the southern part of Thailand is building a reputation as the new Chiang Mai.

You really dont need the memberships help on this, as i suggested in my previous post on the issue, pick a location pack a bag, rent a place for a few months to try the location out and then decide if its what your looking for or move on to the next location on your list until youre happy.