China Visa Question

koda

China Visa Question

Post by koda »

My question is for anyone who has gotten a work visa (Z) from the US to China in the past few years. What company/service did you use?
Monkey

Re: China Visa Question

Post by Monkey »

Do you need to use a company? Do you live too far from a Chinese consulate? I did mine on my own; I wasn't in the U.S. at the time, but another country. I happened to live close enough to the consulate to go on my own (with a few documents mailed to me by my new employers). It really wasn't a terrible process--much less painful than I thought it would be. The worst part was getting the medical stuff taken care of, as the people at the consulate were not very clear about what was required when I called to ask.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@koda

I used VIP Passport Services in the past. They did a good job, were fast, no issues. You need to apply through the designated consulate in your region which will restrict you to servicers in that region.

@Monkey

You can not apply for a PRC visa by mail in the US. The application and supporting documents must be submitted in person either personally, or through an authorized third ..
koda

Post by koda »

Monkey-
Yes, unfortunately I need a service. I live 5 states away from the consulate in my "region". Despite being 1 state away from another consulate. So I can't make it there in person (I miss when I lived in DC!). And I can't mail it, so I have to use a process. This has proven to be such a complicated endeavor. The one the school recommended is just insanely expensive and not really helpful, and actually quite rude when you ask questions. I feel like I've been nickel and dimed to death during this process with the company I've used, I'd like to switch to a different company.

Monkey wrote:
> Do you need to use a company? Do you live too far from a Chinese consulate?
> I did mine on my own; I wasn't in the U.S. at the time, but another
> country. I happened to live close enough to the consulate to go on my own
> (with a few documents mailed to me by my new employers). It really wasn't a
> terrible process--much less painful than I thought it would be. The worst
> part was getting the medical stuff taken care of, as the people at the
> consulate were not very clear about what was required when I called to ask.
senator

Post by senator »

I just had to get a tourist visa, then, once I was in China, my school did the work to get the Z visa for me.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

How long ago was that? There was at one time where you could get a tourist visa and then your IS could go to the PSB and have it converted to a work visa, thats becoming much less common. Regardless it doesnt alleviate the burden of applying for the visa before departure as you must do so for both a work (z) visa and tourist (L) visa.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

If you come in on a tourist visa you are going to be doing another visa run to (probably) Hong Kong. Ask who's paying for that.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Helen is correct, do not come in on the tourist visa route unless you have it in writing they're paying for the visa, the travel expenses to get to Hong Kong and your stay there and whether or not those are "personal" days.

Sorry can't help with a service rec, I was able to handle the visa app on my own at the consulate. Hopefully the new company will be more helpful. The process is stressful enough.

Where in China will you be moving to?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

There are a number of rural and semi-rural ISs that still can and will convert a tourist visa to a work visa through their local PSB. There a re a couple that prefer this route, because they have established relationships with the officials in the PSB and they can get more done locally than nationally.
There are also a growing number of ISs that see the "tourist visa" as an opportunity to have an unofficial trial period for OSHs. They give you a story of woe, they cant get a visa for you this fast, and to come on a tourist visa, you get there and they say it will take a few months to process the paperwork. Of course they arent submitting the application yet, if they dont like you, they just dismiss you and say your visa was denied, so sorry. They may or may not pay you since you effectively have to leave the country and they will say they cant pay you because your work visa was denied and you were working illegally.
There are also a significant number of lower tier ISs that just cant get visas, and have staff do visa runs. If this is the route be sure you have an understanding and conversation that the school will pay for these (including paid time off to do them). You should understand however that a n IS could just change its mind and refuse to cover the expenses, or promise to reimburse them after the right paperwork is submitted and then they come back and say it wasnt the correct, so no reimbursement.
senator

Post by senator »

Psyguy

I left China in the late 2000's.

Any rural schools in China that might be considered international or American schools and not acting as a sham local school for Chinese?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Depends on your definition of rural and shammy?

I would go through options for other readers but as your a major contributor I know what your looking for/asking and its really not there. Rural regions dont have significant expat populations to fill a student body with any significant number of international students. The majority of what you will find is Chinese independent DSs. Chengdu probably has the closest balance of ruralness and still resemble something of an IS followed by Nanjing.

My suggestion would first be to look at Dipont. They create western academies inside Chinese DSs, and yes the students will be Chinese but you will have western leadership and more importantly a western organization insulating you from a lot of the local bureaucracy. You will also have the opportunity to easily move around without IE recruiting.
QSI is another option, assuming youre comfortable with their koolaid youd maintain a lot of mobility and in some of the areas outside the trinity of PEK/SHA/GZ they will likely be in the group that provides a more recognizable IS experience.
Nord Angelica group of ISs is an option in the more rural areas if the UKNC is in your desire and skill set.
Lastly, if HK is your destination ESF is usually the foot in the door IS group.