Teaching Assistant Certs or Online degrees

STEMteacher

Teaching Assistant Certs or Online degrees

Post by STEMteacher »

Does anyone know of a teaching assistant cert that can be obtained online in 12 months?

My wife as a Colombian high school diploma and two years in a junior college for hotel and tourism also in Colombia.

I don't want my wife to be trailing and think it would be helpful if she has some sort of cert but we have been searching and seaching and found nothing. I will have a TC, Master in Math and Science Ed and 7 years experience at the end of the year.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The forum had a similar inquiry about this recently. Many regions have an internal program for teaching assistants, either its a local program or you must be employed with the local authority to qualify.
There are generally three outside options you can look into:
1)CA offers a child development permit which you can qualify for the assistant level permit with 6 hours of coursework, but these permits are generally for EC and Primary settings. Its renewable and easier to move up.
2) NY offers a TA option that would be viable in a secondary setting it requires an exam and completion of several workshops, you would have difficulty renewing it however.
You can take the 6 credit units online and there are options for taking the NY exam and workshops online or locally as well. Both options would take far less time than a year.
3) The other option is to do an IB workshop either MTPYPH or the CIC workshop.

I would combine one of the above options with a CPR/First aid certification.