Certification question (pretty unusual)

STEMteacher

Certification question (pretty unusual)

Post by STEMteacher »

OK, this will be an interesting story (for some maybe).

I have an engineering degree from Clemson University. I started my teaching career in Medellin, Colombia while opening a hostel. I only started teaching without a cert to make extra money while in Medellin. Fast forward 7 years, the hostel is sold and I am in the states working on my Master's of Education and working as a middle school math teacher in the states in an alternative licensure program. This year will be my 7th year teaching high school and middle school math (high school in China and the states for one year certless) and middle school now.

This alt lic program is three years but issues an intital license after you pass the Praxis II test and pass the initial course while you finish rest of the requirements. My Masters in Math and Science Education will be completed in the spring of 2017 but not my full alernative licensure program in South Carolina because it requires me to teach a third year in SC even though I have finished all if it's requirements.

The problem is that I want to finish my Master's and start teaching internationally where I can save money in 2016/2017. You can't save anything teaching in SC. If I leave the alternative licensure program before three years then I lose my license.

I have extensive knowledge of physics and math from my masters and my engineering degree.

What do I do? I want to teach Physics, science, or even high school math internationally after I finish my masters. I am signed up with ASSAA and Search for the 2016/2017 school year.

Is there a way to get a US certification in a different state and quit the SC alt cert program before the 3 years are up to land a good teaching job internationally?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!
STEMteacher

Re: Certification question (pretty unusual)

Post by STEMteacher »

The Master's is with a 4.0 gpa btw and a Kappa Delta Phi Educatonal Honors Fraternity membership.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would concur that it is a more unusual narrative then is what typically encountered on the forum. Your chronicle isnt typical.

First, your GPA doesnt really matter, no one cares how you did on tests and papers, they care what your students do on their tests and papers. Unless a recruiter or leadership member is extremely enthusiastic about KDP, its not going to mean much of anything in IE.

Second, while your narrative and experience is atypical, it doesnt change the key factors available to you. You still have the same generic routes:

1) Dump the SC ACP program and move into either Teach Ready or Teach Now, you ill still have a year of preparation before being credentialed, but you can do it anywhere including overseas, which may allow you the opportunity to experience overseas living and save some coin, which appears to be the major negatives of living in SC.

2) A state that will recognize your prior and existing experience as a substitute for an EPP, of the available options, CT is the easiest.

3) A state that will recognize your academic studies as an alternative to an EPP, D.C. has the most well developed pathway based on transcript ana1ysis.

Both options offer a pathway with various difficulties.

CT; is easier and carries fewer risks but requires more resources. You apply for the CT initial certificate, use the CT certificate and your verification of experience to apply for the HI standard certificate. Take the PRAXIS exams in PTL and ESOL and add those certificates to the Hawaii certificate. Then when you complete your Masters apply for a CA CLEAR credential.

DC; more risk since the pieces of your application wont be an incorporated unit. You will essentially be asking DC to accept your teaching experience and your degree as separate components rather than an integrated program. Assuming its accepted though, you can take the ESOL PRAXIS (after completing the initial 3 PRAXIS exams required for the D.C. certification), add that to your D.C. certificate and then once you receive the Masters apply for the CA CLEAR credential.
STEMteacher

Re: Response

Post by STEMteacher »

PsyGuy wrote:

> CT; is easier and carries fewer risks but requires more resources. You
> apply for the CT initial certificate, use the CT certificate and your
> verification of experience to apply for the HI standard certificate. Take
> the PRAXIS exams in PTL and ESOL and add those certificates to the Hawaii
> certificate. Then when you complete your Masters apply for a CA CLEAR
> credential.

Wow, a lot of good information! Thanks! The SC program already comes with an initial certification that lasts one year until the next phase of the program then you get an additional year and so one until the 3 year program is complete. It's crazy this process but I am doing it just so I am allowed teach in SC while I finish my Master's. I have completed the PRAXIS for middle school math and will have the PRAXIS PTL finished this summer as part of the SC program. The Master's will be done in the Spring of next year but will have been interviewing at all the job fairs in Dec and Jan.

The certification included the work experience (written on the actual certification). Could I just submitt all of this to HI as is? Then once I get my Master's apply for CA CLEAR?

Thanks sooo much!! If you're ever looking for a free place to stay in Barranquilla let me know, I am opening a hostel there.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I am really not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I would advise against opening a hostel in Barranquilla. I lived there for two years and in that time saw many businesses close within the same month that they opened. It is not a well-travelled city for tourism and most people skip it when travelling between Parque Tayrona and Cartagena. Actually, when I tell people I lived in Barranquilla, they usually say this "ohhhh, we travelled through there from Cartagena to Tayrona, but it didn't seem worth stopping." For the most part, they are 100% correct. Carnival is a lot of fun, but that's only once a year. You said you had a hostel in Medellin, which you should know has a way better print on the tourist path. Most people who actually visit Barranquilla on purpose are there for carnival, for business, or stay with friends who live there.
STEMteacher

Post by STEMteacher »

Dredge wrote:
> I am really not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I would advise against
> opening a hostel in Barranquilla. I lived there for two years and in that
> time saw many businesses close within the same month that they opened. It
> is not a well-travelled city for tourism and most people skip it when
> travelling between Parque Tayrona and Cartagena. Actually, when I tell
> people I lived in Barranquilla, they usually say this "ohhhh, we
> travelled through there from Cartagena to Tayrona, but it didn't seem worth
> stopping." For the most part, they are 100% correct. Carnival is a
> lot of fun, but that's only once a year. You said you had a hostel in
> Medellin, which you should know has a way better print on the tourist path.
> Most people who actually visit Barranquilla on purpose are there for
> carnival, for business, or stay with friends who live there.

Thank you so much for the advice but we are doing more than a hostel there. We will have a restaurant/bar as well.

Also, it's not exactly in Barranquilla but in Puerto Colombia which is on the coast just outside. That and it's right on the beach. We know what we're doing, it's been a huge multi-year project. Come visit us!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@STEMteacher

Sounds like a work study program, it allows you to fund your studies while you are there.

No, HI requires you complete an EPP/ITT program/have a valid certification and you arent done yet. This is where CT facilitates your application. You apply in CT for an initial license based on the two years experience and the exam scores then after you have three years experience you apply for the HI standard certificate, add ESOL and then when the Masters is done apply for the CA CLEAR credential. If you wanted to stick it out in SC, you could add ESOL in SC and then when the Masters is completed apply directly to CA for the CLEAR credential. You would of course have to stay in SC. I love Charleston, but I wouldnt want to stay in SC for any significant length of time.

@Dredge

Im thinking the first ever ISR beach . weekend in Puerto Colombia.
STEMteacher

Re: Reply

Post by STEMteacher »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @STEMteacher
>
> Sounds like a work study program, it allows you to fund your studies while
> you are there.
>
> No, HI requires you complete an EPP/ITT program/have a valid certification
> and you arent done yet. This is where CT facilitates your application. You
> apply in CT for an initial license based on the two years experience and
> the exam scores then after you have three years experience you apply for
> the HI standard certificate, add ESOL and then when the Masters is done
> apply for the CA CLEAR credential. If you wanted to stick it out in SC, you
> could add ESOL in SC and then when the Masters is completed apply directly
> to CA for the CLEAR credential. You would of course have to stay in SC. I
> love Charleston, but I wouldnt want to stay in SC for any significant
> length of time.
>
> @Dredge
>
> Im thinking the first ever ISR beach . weekend in Puerto Colombia.

Bring the weekend on!

ESOL certification? This would be another course I would have to take or just a test?

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@STEMteacher

Just the PRAXIS exam for ESOL (5361), however SC does not allow you to add endorsement areas to a certificate solely by examination, you would need to complete some 30 hours of coursework and pass the PRAXIS exam to add ESOL in SC. Obtaining a HI (or DC) credential allows you to add the ESOL endorsement solely by completing the PRAXIS exam.
STEMteacher

Re: Reply

Post by STEMteacher »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @STEMteacher
>
> Just the PRAXIS exam for ESOL (5361), however SC does not allow you to add
> endorsement areas to a certificate solely by examination, you would need to
> complete some 30 hours of coursework and pass the PRAXIS exam to add ESOL
> in SC. Obtaining a HI (or DC) credential allows you to add the ESOL
> endorsement solely by completing the PRAXIS exam.

Great info. I will look into DC and CT first like you said. Thanks soooooo much!! I really really appreciate and I mean what I said about the free room.