Teaching Couple Application Question

jpyaks

Teaching Couple Application Question

Post by jpyaks »

My significant other and I are looking at entering into IT. I am a 4th year ESL teacher/ELL coordinator at a public school (fully certified with a masters) and she is a 5th year SPED teacher with experience teaching elementary and middle school (also fully certified) she also has experience teaching middle school math.

We are looking at starting in the 2017-2018 school year, what is the best approach to the recruiting process? We have a pretty long list of schools we are considering/regions and the contact info/job openings etc. should we just apply directly or would using a recruiter like Search or ISS be more effective?

If we go the route of applying directly what would be the best way to let schools know we are trying to work as a couple? Should we both apply in the same email/contact with both resumes etc. or apply separately and mention in the cover letter that we are looking to work together?

Thanks in advance for any help or if anyone here has any experience going through the process as a teaching couple.
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

Giving you a step by step guide would be a long post (and Im pretty sure I have on several occasions).

In general, I advise that a premium agency can be of benefit when you have a broad vacancy search, and that the narrower or more restricted the vacancy search gets the more likely you can do it yourself. In your scenario a premium agency would have utility for you. I would not join for both of you, its a waste of cost and you wont get any additional value from paying twice (even a fair can be done with one membership). Your spouse is the stronger IT of the two of you. They should register.

ISS is the 'boutique' premium agency, SA is the generalist premium agency and I would recommend SA for the two of you. ISS isnt likely to give you much attention.

The rule is to follow the instructions in the vacancy posting. If an IS does not provide any guidance, my recommendation is to pair your application submission with the IS vacancy. If they have two vacancies apply separately, but include mention of your spouse in each others cover intro and include each others resume second to the primary application. If they dont have appropriate vacancies, than apply solely as an individual, and mention in your cover/intro letter that you have a spouse and no further details.