Easiest US teaching degree

REmmerink

Easiest US teaching degree

Post by REmmerink »

Hello all,

I have a BEd in History from a Dutch university and an additional MA.

What would be the easiest way for me to get a US teaching degree? I am not in the US, so preferably everything should be available online. I know that most IS are fond of a US degree over any other, hence my question.

Thanks in advance
fine dude

Re: Easiest US teaching degree

Post by fine dude »

Only American schools prefer (not mandatory) US degrees. I have worked with Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis at American schools. Having a degree from an English-speaking country always gives you an advantage. It's the British schools which are far more conservative hiring mostly PGCEs with National Curriculum experience even when they hire IB teachers.

If you really want an American diploma, go for accredited universities. University of Florida, Penn State, U Mass, Lowell, Michigan State, George Washington all offer decent programs and they are all accredited. To learn more, visit http://www.usnews.com/education
REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

Thanks fine-dude!

Is it in any way possible for a foreigner to obtain a US license without any extra hassle? I heard that there are some states that only require you to validate your original (foreign) degree in order to be licensed, but I don't know if that is true..

Anyone?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I generally agree with @fine_dude, BSs are more resistant to non British qualified applicants than ASs are. You will also ahve a difficult time finding a teaching undergraduate degree, few institutions award B.Eds anymore. What you find are BA degrees with a major in Education or Teaching, and these almost always include whatever the state certification process and requirements are.

You would be better off either finding a short (1 year/15 months) M.Ed program (preferably Ed.Ld) or doing a US post-bach teacher credentialing program.

Validating your foreign degree assuming its not in education isnt going to get you a teaching credential in the States. You would have to complete some form of EPP/ITT program, though their are states that recognize past classroom teaching experience as fulfilling the EFPP/ITT requirement.

I would strongly look into Teach Now, which offers D.C. certification, the program is delivered online, though you need a cooperating IS/DS to complete your field experience.
REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

Soo... If I already have my teaching degree (from a uni in the Netherlands) and a couple of years experience, I would still need to do the teaching practice?

Is there no US state in which it is easier to get a license? Especially seeing that I am already certified, just not from a US institution..
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Texas might have something for you. Take a look at http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Ce ... r_Country/
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

Thanks Fine Dude.

I will certainly check those sites out! I also checked out Hawaii and am in contact with them.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@REmmerink

There are much easier pathways to obtain a US certificate, they do not require the acquisition of a US teaching degree.
How many years of experience do you have?

1) You will need to have all of your transcripts, and degrees translated into English (assuming they are in Dutch), and then apply for a credential evaluation through an NACES evaluation agency. Request 2 copies.

2) If you have 3 or more years teaching experience apply for HI teaching certificate. There is no CRB check, and your degree and major will satisfy the testing requirements for both basic skills and content proficiency in history and social studies. Its essentially an application and your verification of three or more years of experience. There is no fee until HI reviews your application and informs you of your eligibility.

The only issue is lacking a social security number (SSN) HI might not know what to do. You should request that they assign you a number or you can use their refusal to request a social security number (will not make you eligible for employment in the US). If the social security administration denies your request (unlikely), you may request a TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) which is the same length as a social security number and note on the application that it is a TIN and not a SSN.

3) Complete the PRAXIS ESOL and PLT exams and apply to have the ESOL endorsement added to your HI certificate. These exams are available globally.

4) Complete the CA CRB check (they will mail you fingerprint cards) and apply for the CA CLEAR credential. This certificate is valid for 5 years and requires no PD to renew.

If you have less than 3 years teaching experience or HI does not accept your Teaching degree (likely for lack of a field experience):

As a substitute to step 2, apply for the D.C. (District of Columbia) regular Teaching Certificate which will require a separate CRB check and passing a minimum of three PRAXIS exams.
REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

Great, thanks!

Question about the validation of my degrees. They are indeed in Dutch, but I have an English Europass document that goes with them explaining what my degree entails, what courses I followed, etc. Would that suffice? If not, does anybody know of any NACES evaluation agency that does not need you to send the transcripts via mail? I would like to send them digitally, seeing that is quicker.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@REmmerink

No that would not be acceptable. The NACES evaluation agencies will require and accept only official transcripts and translations. They will not accept digital copies. They want to check the watermarks and security features of the transcripts. If you want them processed as quickly as possible you can send them DHL/EMS.

There are only two NACES agencies that are accepted by both HI and CA.