American School in Japan

theczechs

American School in Japan

Post by theczechs »

Hello,
My husband and I have been teaching overseas for 7 years now. We have covered the globe looking for an international post where we can "settle down". We are currently in Indonesia, not really a great planting point due to poor health care just to mention one reason.
We hope to enjoy our job, have access to outdoor activities and sports, travel and possibly start a family. Gee it sounds like a Christmas list. Anyway, we have our sights set on the American School in Japan (there are currently 4 positions that we are qualified for). We will be going to the SEARCH Bangkok fair in January and hope to get an interview. Any information you may have regarding the school, Tim Carr, or how to approach the school pre-conference would be appreciated.!!
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

I read your post. I am sorry that I don't have any direct info on this school other than knowing about it's top notch reputation. Best of luck to you guys on snagging a position!! :)
scotty

Post by scotty »

Hi, I'm interested to know why you are keen to leave Indonesia. Are you in one of the tops schools in Jakarta? I'm thinking of perhaps applying for schools in Jakarta myself and would like any information anyone can give me. Thanks.
theczechs

Leaving Indo

Post by theczechs »

Scotty,
No we are in Medan. A village of nearly 3,000 people. We are considering leaving for many reasons including the work load and poor health care.
Jakarta is like an even bigger village. The pollution is terrible, corruption is abundant and so is the traffic. However, there are many expats and many schools. As far as I am aware, JIS has the best package and facilities. Remember it is the 3rd world and your daily life in Jakarta will not let you forget that.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Talk about smog; Tokyo is one of the worst. Not a place for babies and children. Try Muscat, Oman. Absolutely no smog, beautiful, clean city. No crime. Family and child friendly. Mountains, sea with deserted beaches, coral reef, and sparkling desert give many outdoor adventures. American-British Academy excellent school, good salary and benefits, many long-term teaching families and welcoming expat and Omani community.
teacher_asia

Smog in Tokyo???!!!

Post by teacher_asia »

Smog in Tokyo? It it one of the worst? Have you been to Tokyo?

I lived in Tokyo for 3 years, and I can tell you, without question, there is not a lot of smog or air pollution. Considering the 30 million people in the Tokyo metropolitan area, it is probably, on a per-person basis, the cleanest city in the world!

Tokyo is clean, even disregarding the huge population! Japan manages people, and is able to provide a health environment to the massess, better than any other nation in the world!

I have travelled and lived all over Asia, and without a doubt, Tokyo is the cleanest city in all respects, except perhaps for Singapore, of any major city in Asia.

In addition, AISJ is outsdie of the city, further removing you from whatever little polution might exist inside the city, from car exhuast, and the like.

AISJ is known as one of the top schools in Asia. Married couples would live in a house, unheard of for most citizens or other foreigners in Tokyo, especially in the city.

It is in the suburbs, but well connected by subway. It takes maybe 45 minutes to get to Shinjuku, the nearest urban center of Tokyo.

The plus of living in the suburbs is that nature is not as far away (you will feel a huge need for this if you live deeper in the city), and the cost of living is about half of what it would be in the city center.

AISJ is possibly the highest paying school in Asia as well. But, again, this is Japan, not Thailand, so it is all relative......

I hope this helps!
teacher_asia

Post by teacher_asia »

Sorry, that's ASIJ........I wrote AISJ several times in my last post. My mistake....it is ASIJ.....but, we are talking about the same school, the American School in Japan.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hansbeard

other Tokyo schools

Post by hansbeard »

yes, Japan is a great place and before I moved here, I thought ASIJ was the only option. I would broaden your horizons and look at other International Schools in the Tokyo Area.

I would also look at these three schools

Tokyo International School
Nishimachi International School
Yokohama International School

Before coming here I also thought living in a Japanese housing would be most ideal but with experience I find Apt living to be a much better choice. For example, Japanese houses are very cold in the winter as they don't have centralized heating or insulation.
hansbeard

TIS

Post by hansbeard »

TIS is a profit school. The owner is an inspirational leader, full of energy, wanting the best for the students, teachers and the school.

My view point might be a bit skewed as I do know the owner, but I also know some of the teachers. It has a good reputation in the area, teachers stay long and are happy.

The school's in a old Japanese public school building, which has been transformed. The front entry area is warm and friendly. Big couch, with a large LCD TV shows high lights from the school. This warmth extends into the rest of the school.

It's hard to comment on it's IB program, I don't have info on this part of the school.

Hope this helps.
hansbeard

It's good question

Post by hansbeard »

As you can see from their website they only have a PYP and MYP program. I guess you'd need to define your gold standard for an IB program and then I might be able to write a comparison.
hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

When I first met the owner, I wasn't sure if he was the real deal. I've had some of my own experiences with profit schools and privately pledge that I'd never work for one again. I thought he was a great sales person and that there would be some sort of bait and switch that all us international teachers are very aware of. With it being such a new school, it's difficult to believe the kind of progress they've made. How can so much be accomplished is such a short time?

In some ways the weakness of TIS is it's leadership. Sort of like Steve Jobs is to Apple Computer. If TIS didn't have Patrick what would the school be like?

Is it better than Nishimachi? Yes without a doubt, and my private pledge? I've made an exception for TIS.
hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

All the schools in the Tokyo area have issues with campus facilities. The exceptions to this are American School in Japan and the Christian Academy in Japan, both these school's are off on the suburbs of the city.

Good question on their growth. There are rumors, and the talks I've had with area teachers seem to indicate attractiveness to the school if the Diploma program existed. Many of us dream / hope he would create a purpose build campus in Tokyo. If he did, I may line up for an interview.

I think extra curricular activities directly relate to the location of the school and the opportunities families have for recreation. For example I'd expect teachers at International Schools in countries like Bangladesh would have a high load, as family entertainment options are limited.
hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

All the schools in the Tokyo area have issues with campus facilities. The exceptions to this are American School in Japan and the Christian Academy in Japan, both these school's are off on the suburbs of the city.

Good question on their growth. There are rumors, and the talks I've had with area teachers seem to indicate attractiveness to the school if the Diploma program existed. Many of us dream / hope he would create a purpose build campus in Tokyo. If he did, I may line up for an interview.

I think extra curricular activities directly relate to the location of the school and the opportunities families have for recreation. For example I'd expect teachers at International Schools in countries like Bangladesh would have a high load, as family entertainment options are limited.
hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

Oh... there's a lot more to think about from your perspective. TIS is right in the middle of the city and I can see your point. Nishimachi advantage is it's location with it being nestled in a quiet expat residential area.

Did you have a look at the Yokohama? There's another school there with a good track record with the IB.