Help Needed - PYP Question

Help Needed - PYP Question

Post by 87654321 »

Can anyone help me with the following:

If the PYP is taught in transdisciplinary themes why the need for 6 distinct units? As the units are transdisciplinary anyway, the whole concept seems illogical.

Does anyone know / work in schools that complete 5 units (instead of the 6)? Im sure their are some - how does this work? Could you somehow let me know schools that complete 5?

Some background research if you are interested:
The PYP can be regarded as a shelf curriculum. A shelf curriculum (Bagnall, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015; Cambridge & Thompson, 2004; Hayden & Thompson, 2000), it provides a curriculum framework but not the content. It is more concerned with the method of teaching than the content.
The IB offers a sample programme of example science inquiry but does not insist that it is mandatory for schools. In fact the IB acknowledges “Some schools may need to reflect national, regional or local requirements within the units of inquiry that are developed and included in their programme of inquiry” (IB, 2008, p. 2).

Would there be implications in completing 5?

Thanks for your help and support
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

1) The IB curriculum is a framework of objectives, with various degrees of prescription (shelf curriculum). However, the IBO also markets various products and resources that contain sufficient content to meet course requirements, this is a a "Boxed curriculum". So depending on the amount of coin an IS wants to expend, they can buy a complete (Boxed) IB curriculum.

2) The IB PYP program is structured around Units of Inquiry (UI) with each UI addressing a specific theme. However not all subjects are contained in each UI Theme. Some subjects will be more common (such as language) throughout the themes and some will be less common (maths). An IS must include each subject annually in at least one UI theme. The subjects that are not part of the UI are stranded as distinct subjects. ISs decide the sequence of themes used, and which subjects will be included in which UIs.
IE... "Who we are" is often the first introductory theme of the year (it need not be), and it may include language and social studies. So when an HRT is planing the daily lessons they will use a bubble planner that incorporates language and social studies into the UI lesson, that might have students creating a family tree and biography (you could also include arts in this UI, depending how you want to do the family tree.). The other subjects maths, science, etc are then planed separating and individually. It is very difficult to incorporate all subjects in all units, though some ISs try and some have succeeded to various degrees.

Short answer, the UIs are transdisciplinary but they are not each all inclusive.

3) No there are none. An IS must deliver all six UIs, using the prescribed themes, across 6 subjects, and an IS must provide Exhibition as a culminating activity in the last year of the program. There are exceptions for exigent circumstances, and outside of an authorization year there are instances of poor planing where an IT has a UI thats insufficient (the IT does something minor, then closes the UI as complete. IE.. If an IT has "Sharing the Planet" as their final UI theme, the IT could do a field trip to a zoo and then have students write a reaction essay, and you could do that in 2-3 days and call it done).
Otherwise regardless of the IS/Regional academic calendar or NC (national curriculum) there is no IS that has been granted a long term waiver of the UI requirements allowing them to do 5 UIs instead of 6, nor has there been a long term waiver of subject requirements. The closes has been highly religious ISs that have been granted modified adaptations of PSPE, but they still do it, it just doesnt look like more conventional PSPE.

4) Yes, your program would be considered outside compliance and either denied authorization or subject to having its authorization revoked. The IB has an inspectorate within the QAF (Quality Assurance Framework) that processes and investigates compliance issues.
sid

Re: Help Needed - PYP Question

Post by sid »

With the youngest year groups, ages 3-5, it is recommended/mandated, I'm not sure which, to teach 4 units per year. Above that, 6 is required.
It is also possible to teach two or more units concurrently. One school in Singapore runs up to 4 at once, and are considering attempting 6. I personally think it's a bad idea to run more than 2 at once. It can work nicely with the younger children, running for example Who We Are all year, while each of the other units takes a turn as well for a couple months.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

I can never find any guidance document that mandates UIs for EY, Ive always heard it referenced in terms of recommendations. Which essentially means there is no UI requirement for EY at all.
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

I have taught in two PYP schools in Early Years and Primary, and in Early Years we did four, and in primary six. I don't think there is any negotiation as to the number you have to do, but there is flexibility with timing, for example you can do one all year long that you dip in and out of, and then five more structured units of inquiry.
sid

Post by sid »

From the IB's publication "Developing a Transdisciplinary Programme of Inquiry": "a. The programme of inquiry consists of six units of inquiry—one for each transdisciplinary theme—at each year/grade level, with the exception of students who are 3–5 years, where the requirement is at least four units at each year/grade level, two of which must be under “Who we are” and “How we express ourselves”."

So there's the official requirement. Not so hard to find.
sid

Post by sid »

And the IB's acronym is UOI, not UI. It's interesting to invent your own, but it does suggest some gaps in knowledge.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

Now you know the four UIs are mandated and not recommended.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

IB are gathering EY peeps for guidance on EY for the future.
Our Pre-K does 4 units as opposed to 6 on the past experience and guidance of our EY teachers and PYP Coordinator.
sid

Post by sid »

@pg
No, now I know 4 units are an option, as are 5 and 6 units.
When I was unsure, I admitted it. I didn't take my lack of knowledge and conclude that there was no knowledge to be had.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

4 isnt an option, you just quoted that 4 is a requirement and 5 and 6 is an option.