AP vs. IB

reisgio

Re: AP vs. IB

Post by reisgio »

Think for a moment about all that was accomplished by students graduating high school in the 1940's - 1960's. Were they all AP or IB students? Far from it. There are many curricula out there and there should remain many curricula out there. What I believe is different today is the quality of our teachers. I say this as someone who had wonderful teachers when I was in high school - a high school that did not offer AP or IB classes and as someone who has worked with wonderful teachers, but far more mediocre ones. I often notice the mediocre ones love the AP and IB; it does a lot of the thinking for them.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

And think what is still being accomplished by students that DID go through these programs. They are writers, astronauts, doctors, businesspeople, humanitarians, and politicians. I don't think anyone was advocating for a single curriculum. We were simply pointing out that you were being cynical. No, one does not NEED AP/IB to be successful and awesome--but again, nobody claimed that. I would seriously question your assertion (with no evidence) that AP/IB do the thinking for a teacher, too.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

You stated in your previous message

"My point to Reisgio was simply that the IB does as much as any framework to foster critical thinking and self-awareness"

If all the other curriculum frameworks are poo at fostering critical thinking and self awareness, and IB does as much as those frameworks, than the IB framework would also be poo.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I never said the others were poo, either. Furthermore, you again misunderstood--it does as much as any, but more than many as well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

So which is it? In your previous post you write "it does as much as any, but more than many as well". Sounds like the Koolaid taking, its the same except when its better.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

It can be both, you know--as much as AND more. I sincerely hope you don't teach TOK. I am not trying to fight with you. You misunderstood me. Get over it and move on.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

So there is no spoon? It can be both? Its better when its good, and its good when its bad and when it neither its still pretty good and now your going to use TOK like its some form of Jedi mind trick. "This is not the framework you are looking for".
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Ugh. Pretty sure everyone else understood me. You are obviously willfully choosing not to for the sake of arguing.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Thats the Koolaid talking, your confusing understanding with apathy, no one else really cares.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Sure. You are right. I bow to your knowledge of my opinion on the IB. And with that, I am out.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Theres no superior knowledge of your opinion in debate, its that your claims are unsupported by the premises you rely on in your conclusion.