Special Education in IS

kbower

Special Education in IS

Post by kbower »

Hi! I'm a special education teacher located in Texas. I have a BS in sped and an MS in educational psychology. I want to move abroad for the 2017-2018 school year so I'll have had three years experience. I taught upper elementary life skills for one year and early childhood special education for two years. I'm also certified in general education, and when I taught early childhood, it was an inclusion class. I'm interested in either IS or DODEA schools, and I'll go anywhere. What are my chances for IS or DODEA schools? If you have anything else to share, please do!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Special Education in IS

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. You should be able to find some decent to good schools that would be interested in you. Most int'l schools will have some type of learning support program although it will likely be much less comprehensive than US SPED programs and will generally consist of push in/pull out support rather than self-contained classes. Some of these LS departments may have only one or two LS teachers for the entire school.

You will be right around the minimum number of years of experience that schools will be looking for but LS is a relatively high needs area and there are many positions open every year around the world. I would look into Search Associates to get access to their database and job listings. It would cost a couple hundred dollars for a 3 year membership (or until you get a job, whichever comes first) but would also allow you to attend a job fair if you are so interested.

DoDDS is tougher to get into but is certainly worth filling out the online application and hoping for the best. For DoDDS you should try and maximize the areas within SPED that you qualify for based on DoDDS requirements. The more the merrier.

Do your research on int'l schools and countries and you should be fine. I started with certification and 2 years of SPED experience and have managed to have a very nice life overseas. I am now teaching SPED with DoDDS and loving that too.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I have taught learning support from grades 1-8 in Asia, the ME, and SA. It's very different than the States, much lighter in terms of the severity of the disabilities. What really varies is the way programs are structured, staffing, and how much the program is valued/supported by admin. Those critical aspects can make doing learning support really a great job, or make life hell. Lots of schools do offer some type of learning support program.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You would have good a probability as any other IT in SPED/LS/LD/SEN. You would be far more marketable in EC and primary than in secondary. The advantage for you is that while SPED is growing, its still really practiced in upper tier ISs, this means your not going to have to contend with a lot of lower tier ISs as they just want have vacancies for you.
SPED as you understand and experience it is not what you find in regulated DSs in western regions, its "Sp.Ed lite". No IS provides services that reach the expectations and requirements as you would find in regulated DE systems. You arent going to find life skills or a BMU, what your going to find is mild needs and some acute or managed ED.
The production of documentation is also much different. You will have a tracking report once a week or so, and likely be a part of the admissions committee that creates an action plan or IEP, and its going to be much more basic and fundamental to learning objectives. If accommodation cant be agreed on or implemented the student just wont be admitted or they will have admission withdrawn.
You will mind more of an emphasis on inclusion or resource. Self Contained classes are rare.

The standard bar of entry into IE is 2 years post certification experience. Three years will get you into the door. Given your broad job search, a premium agency would be advised, and given your experience i would concur that SA (Search Associates) would be the right choice. I would also add TIE as well, and it costs nothing to review TES job vacancies as well.

DoDDS would be difficult for you to get into at this stage of your career, but SPED is one of the higher needs in demand fields. You really would need for qualifications within SPED and more experience. It is well worth the time however to apply.

LS can mean a lot of different things. In some ISs its just a name for an IT with no real resources who provides some additional tutoring or another set of hands in the room. In some (elite tier) ISs its well resourced and implemented.
Midori4040

Post by Midori4040 »

Hi @wrldtrvlr123

I've been following this thread and wanted to know how you were able to accomplish this (it's from the FAQ on the Teacher Ready website):

Yes you can to your field work at a DoDEA school but there are additional application documents and additional field work required by DoDEA. DoDEA requires a 9 week full time student teaching experience at the end of TeacherReady instead of the one week we normally require. They also require a special application which can be found on our website under “forms.” Attached to that application must be a clear background check. Even if a background check is in the DoDEA computer system, a copy must be physically attached. Further, if you are currently working at a DoDEA school as a para educator or even a substitute, you must attach a SF-52 leave without pay form for the last 9 weeks of your TeacherReady program experience. These DoDEA applications and attachments are due in October of each year for the spring semester and April for the following fall semester. You will need to arrange volunteering until your 9 week placement begins. Most DODEA schools will allow volunteering.

You did Teacher Ready, if I recall. I'm on a similar path as you and just want to be sure I keep all of my options open and choose the best route to certification. Thank you
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Midori4040 wrote:
> Hi @wrldtrvlr123
>
> I've been following this thread and wanted to know how you were able to accomplish
> this (it's from the FAQ on the Teacher Ready website):
>
> Yes you can to your field work at a DoDEA school but there are additional application
> documents and additional field work required by DoDEA. DoDEA requires a 9 week full
> time student teaching experience at the end of TeacherReady instead of the one week
> we normally require. They also require a special application which can be found
> on our website under “forms.” Attached to that application must be a clear background
> check. Even if a background check is in the DoDEA computer system, a copy must
> be physically attached. Further, if you are currently working at a DoDEA school
> as a para educator or even a substitute, you must attach a SF-52 leave without pay
> form for the last 9 weeks of your TeacherReady program experience. These DoDEA
> applications and attachments are due in October of each year for the spring semester
> and April for the following fall semester. You will need to arrange volunteering
> until your 9 week placement begins. Most DODEA schools will allow volunteering.
>
> You did Teacher Ready, if I recall. I'm on a similar path as you and just want to
> be sure I keep all of my options open and choose the best route to certification.
> Thank you
---------------------
Hi. No, I actually was certified in Florida at a time when they were desperate for SPED teachers. I was able to use my BA in a related field, take the subject area test and get a temporary certificate. I then got a teaching job and was going to do Florida's alternative certification program (basically mentoring, portfolios, video teaching samples etc) but then found out that Florida was going to credit me with 6 hours college credit for teaching full time for two years, only leaving me like two more teaching classes for a professional certificate. So, I did that. I later went back and got my Masters in SPED and was picked up by DoDDS shortly thereafter. So technically, I never did have a full time student teaching experience. Shhhh!

9 weeks is a bit of an ask, but you might be able to find a way to get it done. If you were overseas near a semi-dodgy int'l school you could probably find someone willing to have some free help and fine with signing whatever you might want. If you are in the states you could probably find some semi-dodgy private/charter school to do the same. Maybe not the best places for on the job teaching but probably not fatal and more willing to work with you. Good luck!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Midori4040

There are still pathways into an educator certificate without having field experience. CA has both a Peace Corp and Private/Independent experience pathway. CT will exempt you from field experience if you have 2 years previous teaching experience in a private/independent DS.

DoDDS requires a field experience as part of its requirements but will accept one year of full time teaching experience as fulfillment of that requirement. @WT123 has nothing to be concerned about as they were teaching full time for 2 years at the point they obtained the FL professional certificate.

The requirements for "volunteering" in Teach Ready have a much lower standard. You only need the IS/DS for observations as your clinical practice will be 9 weeks instead of 5 days. Anything but an ES of almost any quality/tier will suffice. A Charter DS stateside will certainly suffice.