Antwerp

wanderworld

Antwerp

Post by wanderworld »

After a trying recruitment season, I've been offered a job in Antwerp (!). Anyone have any information about life there? I feel like I've read mostly good things, the cost of living seems relatively affordable, etc. I will be coming with my husband, who is not a teacher, but works in IT. It would seem, with the proximity to Brussels as well, that there would be opportunities for him to work--anyone have any insight on that? Thanks for the help!
ffmary

Re: Antwerp

Post by ffmary »

Your pick, an umbrella or burka? Why not both? Have fun! Ekeren isn't bad in all seriousness.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@wanderworld

Antwerp is pretty boring and sleepy, which might be an advantage or disadvantage to you. You will find just about everything you need is available, but you will probably travel into Brussels on a regular basis. Antwerp is usually described as the "burbs" of Brussels, its an easy trip though about 40 minutes. It really depends what lifestyle you want. Belgium isnt very exciting as a whole but living in Brussels is a little more exciting than living in Antwerp. You could commute back and forth if you wanted too, but housing costs are less expensive in Antwerp than Brussels.
There really arent any disadvantages to living in Belgium or Antwerp, its one of the more affordable cities in WE, and everything works with little difficulty. Belgians are very "wellness" conscious, if your one of the yoga pants and ponytail types you will fit in well with the culture. Belgians tend to behave and act as moderation in all things. Belgians kind of have a reputation for seeming shy, they arent once you get to know them.

Yes your spouse would find opportunities to work but for a full time job they would need a company to sponsor a work permit for them. Those opportunities are going to be in Brussels, meaning one of you will have to commute. Your spouses biggest issue will be the language barrier (English isnt the preferred office language), and lack of a work permit.
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

One of the best pubs ever is in Antwerp...Kulminator...vintage beers! I had a 1983 Chimay when I was there last! If you or your husband is into beer, then Antwerp would be awesome! Nice campus. Quiet with lots of trees. Excellent access by train to everything
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

One of the best pubs ever is in Antwerp...Kulminator...vintage beers! I had a 1983 Chimay when I was there last! If you or your husband is into beer, then Antwerp would be awesome! Nice campus. Quiet with lots of trees. Excellent access by train to everything in Europe
wanderworld

Post by wanderworld »

@psyguy Thank you for the information! That is helpful. Do you think he will have an easier time targeting American companies over there? Since they know I would be working, would that have any benefit? I am hoping he will be able to get on my visa and be eligible to work--is that a thing?

@tommypizza--that sounds delicious, I will have to check it out! I'm a little bit of a beer snob, so that's good to hear :)
martalin

Post by martalin »

For what it's worth, the Search Associates website says "no" under local opportunities for non-teaching spouses.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@wanderworld

He may have an easier time arranging an independent contractor arrangement, but it wouldnt come with a work visa.

No there is no such thing as your spouse "getting on your visa". A dependent visa allows you to leave/enter and reside in Belgium. Hed be eligible for social insurance (health), but there is no work/employment eligibility. The only way hed get a work visa is if a organization sponsored a work visa for your spouse.
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

You are a beer snob?! Haha...well, you are looking in the right place. Belgium is THE place for beer. As far as your chances for hubby's work...well, I would throw caution to the wind and go for it. He could at least sub at the school...if he can deal with it. If he has some moxie and such, he can find something to do there. The problem with Americans is that we are taught to fear too much...play it conservative...but if I was you...seeing that you are a beer snob...I would go for it. At worst, it's an incredible 2 year adventure. If hubby doesn't find work...again, he can sub at the school and pick up a few extra euros...then you try to travel on the cheap. So many discount airlines in Europe...often times even cheaper than taking the train. I taught in ISs in Europe for 7 years and it was great. Yes, I didn't save a lot...I was able to save some...but Europe is a great lifestyle!!
wanderworld

Post by wanderworld »

So we accepted the post in Antwerp and now have family that is not so happy. They're telling us how unsafe it is and that we should not be going. I think this would be anywhere in Europe but especially since Brussels was recently attacked. I've honestly only read good things about Antwerp in terms of safety, so I didn't know if you all had any input on that? Are those of you in WE feeling safe there still? Is there something about Antwerp I've missed in terms of safety? Thanks again for the input.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@wanderworld

Your family and friends would have been worried about anywhere you would have gone.
Yes Belgium was the target of an attack, because they were an easy target of convenience. The reason being that Belgians arent really anyones enemies, and until that time in the modern age they had no reason to be concerned about direct terrorist confrontation.
If your not 'safe' in Antwerp, your not safe anywhere, and thats just the reality today, no one knows who will be next, anyone anywhere could be the next target, thats how the terror in terrorism works.
REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

I agree with PG.

I am from the Netherlands myself and travelled around Europe extensively. Any city could have been a target, not only Brussels. We saw the same in Paris and Istanbul recently and London and Madrid a couple of years ago. If you are afraid to move to Europe because of that, I would suggest to move to the USA where everything is 'nice and safe' (apart from that every nutter is walking around with a firearm... but ey, it is a constitutional right, no...).

Anyways, people exaggerate. You will be fine. Enjoy the beer and the lifestyle!
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

Clearly, your family is suffering from the "CNN effect". I once turned down a job in Tel Aviv for the same reasons...in hind sight, I wish I had gone there. What everyone is saying is true on this forum. Antwerp is as safe as anywhere else in Europe. Lots of hasidic Jews in Antwerp making millions on diamonds...not sure if anyone would ever target that though. The whole country must have upped security which means less of a chance now. I would feel safer there than every big city in the USA. Tell your family to chill and come enjoy a trappist beer with you :)