Same-Sex Trailing Spouse... Worth Attending a Fair?

tellyrules

Same-Sex Trailing Spouse... Worth Attending a Fair?

Post by tellyrules »

Hi,

I did a search for similar threads, and I did find a few but the information seemed to be several years old.

I'm a certified elementary teacher with 3 years of experience; two of them in PYP. I'm looking to change to a new school for the next recruiting season, and was wondering about approaching the job search. This time though I will have a trailing spouse on my hands :)

She doesn't teach, but has a master's in economics and wouldn't mind helping out or tutoring kids in math, etc. depending on what she can do. She is Eastern European, and that's where her credentials are from.

Having said that, do you think it's worth it for me to attend a fair next year? We're pretty flexible on location, just probably not the Middle East or Africa, as we value our safety and freedom!

I was reading the statistics for the UNI fair, and they said 95% of folks who obtained an offer were either single with no dependents or part of a teaching couple. That for example makes me feel like it's not worth the effort...
shadowjack

Re: Same-Sex Trailing Spouse... Worth Attending a Fair?

Post by shadowjack »

There are schools who will hire you - but you have to beat the bushes to find them. And with you not in a high needs area, even with the PYP, it makes it tougher. I wouldn't give up hope, but it won't be easy.

You might want to ask this on the paid side forum...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You would likely feel very frustrated given the costs with attending the fair, and the likely outcomes. The issue is a couple factors.

1) A number of recruiters have very traditional values. They may not be open about them, but they are common.

2) A recruiter that isnt bias, may have ownership/parents that would not approve.

3) In some regions your marital status is not recognized, and the IS would not be able to provide your spouse a dependent visa. In some regions your relationship would be illegal.

If your insistent on a fair consider one of the LON fairs, UNI isnt worth your time given your IB/PYP experience.
tellyrules

Post by tellyrules »

I'm not that insistent on attending a fair, but rather was wondering whether I should attend one or not. I would rather not make the investment if it isn't going to be worth it.

I haven't heard of the LON fairs though? Do you mean the London fairs through Search?

I definitely want to concentrate my efforts online if it makes the most sense to do so. And I'm also thinking of trying to shoot for Department of Defense schools as well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@tellyrules

My typical advice in these scenarios is to apply to ISs in the fall and determine what interest you get. If you can arrange a sufficient amount of advance interviews (ISs that will commit to a time slot, not just a "stop by our table) then you can determine if it will be of sufficient value to you to travel to the fair site. If you attempt to do a fair cold, I believe you would be frustrated and disappointed.

LON (London) is a mega fair event the SA (Search) and COIS fairs run into each other. There is a significant amount of IB recruiting at the LON fair (which may be advantage or disadvantage).

DoDDS recruiting has recently started, the application deadline is 1 June, and quickly approaching. You will likely have issues with DoDDS. There is only one IB program DS, and primary DTs are typically local hires. You will also have some issues passing your security screening (not to be confused with security clearance).
It is completely worth applying though the application takes 30 minutes and updating it yearly takes a couple minutes.
Heimtun

Post by Heimtun »

My husband and I went to UNI in 2015, and with three dependents, we knew that the statistics showed there was a slim-to-none chance of scoring a decent job somewhere. We ended up having interviews at all our top choices, and got an offer at a wonderful school. Not in the most desirable part of the world, but I'd venture to say there are much worse. We're just wrapping up our first year, and we've had a terrific time exploring new lands while saving more money in a year than we did in our entire adult lives combined in the States.

The morale of my story is--go for it. While some admin may have 'traditional' values, they all don't--my school has all kinds of people from all kinds of places, and that's part of what makes it such a nice community.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

You may find this ISR Blog helpful.

https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... -overseas/