Returning after broken contract

sand_fan

Returning after broken contract

Post by sand_fan »

I have a former associate who is currently stateside. She had a 2 year contract in Kuwait and left at the end of the first year (broke contract). She now has a potential opportunity at anther Kuwait school and wants to return. Anyone have any ideas for what, if anything she should expect with ministry, etc? What is typical response from potential new school to such things?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Ghost the experience (it didnt happen, dont put it on the resume). Kuwait immigration doesnt perform contract enforcement, assuming her application is in order and supported by the new IS, she will not have issues with the prior IS experience/problem.

If you dont tell them there is no typical response.
sid

Re: Returning after broken contract

Post by sid »

It's going to really depend on exactly how she left. A broken contract may have nothing or everything to do with the ministry. Worst will be if she did a runner and her visa never got properly cancelled, in which case she may be banned. Or if the school reported her in some way.
If there's any question, best to level with the new school so they can look into it before she flies. If she gets there and gets rejected, she could face high costs, paying back the school for her tickets and shipping and possibly recruiting costs.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Does she have to go to Kuwait? I am sure she pondered this, but there are at least 195 other countries in the world.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Dredge wrote:
> Does she have to go to Kuwait? I am sure she pondered this, but there are
> at least 195 other countries in the world.
-----------------------------------------------------
This. If the combination of school and/or country didn't offer her enough positives to allow her to see out her contract/prevent her from doing a runner then she should think long and hard before going back to the scene of so much unhappiness. The are so many other/better places she could be considering.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sand_fan

@sid is also an admin in leadership, and not without an agenda. ISs always want to know everything.

While I fully concur with @dredge and @WT123, I assume that there is some motivation or incentive for returning to Kuwait. Maybe they left behind a relationship they have a second chance with?
sand_fan

Post by sand_fan »

@psyguy - I think you nailed it
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

sand_fan wrote:
> @psyguy - I think you nailed it
-----------------------------------
That's actually worse and so I'll double down on my previous comment. If the combination of school and/or country/AND OR ROMANTIC INTEREST didn't offer her enough positives to allow her to see out her contract/prevent her from doing a runner then she should think long and hard before going back to the scene of so much unhappiness. But then again I suppose the worst that could happen is that there is a sequel to The Running Girl.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Have you been married so long, that you have forgotten that the heart wants what the heart wants? That people will go to all corners of the world and endure countless trials and tribulations to to reach their hearts desires? What wouldnt you do for your wife?

Maybe their was a obstacle in the way that has since been removed or changed? Maybe the parents or a parent opposed the relationship. Maybe there was a maturity issue, or a personal or family tragedy? Maybe there was something scandalous (an arranged future marriage perhaps). Whatever it is I know of few people 'in love' who will not give their soul mate another (or infinite) number of chances.

You work with children and even SPED/LD students have to learn how to manage their hormones and relationships, surely some part of you remembers what it is to be a romantic, those butterflies in your tummy.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

It's not really a fair/relevant comparison being that it's my wife (as opposed to some unknown/undefined/possibly non-existent person). But even meeting you there halfway, if the person meant that much I wouldn't have left in the first place and/or if I really had to go and I meant that much to that person they would have left with me.

On the other hand, having to go/stay and live/teach in Kuwait would probably be a deal breaker for me (shudders).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Since when are matters of the heart fair?

Though again meeting you half way, at one point in the past your wife wasnt your wife yet, what would you not have done in that time between rings?

What if they HAD to leave? What if it was a choice between staying and being stoned/imprisoned or leaving with the possibility of reuniting???

~~~That fate favors a determined heart. . .
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Reply

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> What if they HAD to leave? What if it was a choice between staying and
> being stoned/imprisoned or leaving with the possibility of reuniting???
-----------------
LOL. You're not really making much of a case for returning to Kuwait. I stand pat.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Not making a case for Kuwait, making a case for love.