joe30

Re: Credential Question

Post by joe30 »

So in conclusion:

Apply for K-6 certification from UT.

Pass the Praxis exam.

Get the certification.

Apply for QTS in the UK.

Once QTS is granted you're licenced to teach anything (since UK QTS covers all grades and subjects, although of course you'd still have to convince the guy who is recruiting that you're able to teach specific subjects).

With the UK QTS granted I presume I could let the UT credential expire after 3 years with no issues?
fitlee

Post by fitlee »

Hi PsyGuy

You are right. Having to take all those classes, it is like taking a teacher preparation program or half of it. I do not understand why create a work experience route but require people to take back all those teacher prep classes. And, my first school was a school with approved accreditation from CT list.

1. I am not sure whether I should argue with them.

2. For UT exam, what is the different between before and after Jan 1

3. I am teaching in Asia now. Where can I get myself finger print or live scan?

4. For the further usage, are you saying that having the UT credential would help me to get CT credential? Do I start a new application? Also mean I do not need to take those classes?

5. Comparing UT and NJ options , what do you take?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@joe30

1) Apply for CRB: This is the longest, they are going to mail you finger print cards which will take 2-3 weeks to get to you. You can return them by EMS, but 2 weeks to get them, then X time to return then, 2 weeks to process them.

2) Complete PRAXIS exam: This can all be done online, plus travel to the testing center and back.

3) Apply for certificate: Takes a couple weeks

4) Apply for QTS: This takes a week.

True, QTS is not grade or subject specific, but within the UK there are assignment areas that are supported in the TCL registry. A maintained DS would have serious issues and problems assigning a DT outside their preparation areas.

Yes you could allow the UT credential to expire, there is no need to maintain it relying on QTS.

@fitlee

1) They rejected your experience for some reason. You dont need to argue with them, just ask why. Its possible they made an error.

2) Certification year is based on calendar year. If you apply in November/December, you will only be certified for a month or two before one "year" lapses on your certificate. If you wait until January you will get a full 12 months.

3) When you register for the UT credential you will receive fingerprint cards int he mail. You can have them done at the foreign residents or tourist division of the local police or sometimes you can get a consulate/embassy to do it.

4) No the UT credential would allow you to teach at a higher tier IS that is more likely to meet the experiential requirement of CT.
Well if you want to get the CT certificate now, you would have to take those courses, unless they made an error. They basically rejected your experience, so you would need new experience to continue with the experiential route.
Yes you would need to apply again, but you dont need to do anything over that hasnt changed.

5) UT, its just easier, and you just need a credential that completes your resume. Professionally there isnt a quality difference between the UT APT credential and the NJ CE credential.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

By CRB, you mean a criminal record check, right? It's called DBS in the UK- I had to get one to start this PGCE, but never needed to have fingerprints done. Would my DBS suffice or do I need some specific form to be mailed from the US? (then mail it back to them)

Regarding QTS and UK domestic schools, I've no intention of ever teaching in the UK so this won't be an issue.
fitlee

Post by fitlee »

1. Yes, it would be nice to ask why
2. I am against the clock of getting my credential before the full hiring season started. Hard to jump to a better school without a State certificate.
3. Any idea whether the criminal check is an FBI kind of a check or a quick local UT state police record check? FBI took longer I think. My experience with CA is relative pretty fast
4. I need to clear up with them…
5. Next step after UT is QTS (maybe)? And then some other states
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@joe30

Yes CRB refers to Criminal Records Bureau, and yes they are now called DBS (Database and Disbarring Service), they used to be called CRB in the UK. The term is now a generic one that refers to any criminal background review. You likely had to get an enhanced DBS with lists (use to be called ISA) CRB.

DBS checks are done based on document identity confirmation. They check your application against various identification documents (such as a passport) and then verify the authenticity of the identifying document (checking for watermarks and holograms, etc.).
In the US those types of checks are still done, they are called field based searches. Professions such as law enforcement and teachers however require fingerprint searches. They are done by computer (live scan) or more traditionally on finger print cards, which require rolling your fingerprints on a glass plate covered with a magnetic ink and then rolling then gingers onto the cards, hence collecting your fingerprints. When you register for the UT credential it will include having the finger print cards mailed to you.

No your DBS CRB is not acceptable. Once the UT department of public safety receives the prints, they are checked against the sate database and the FBIs NCIC (National Crime Information Center), the FBI will then obtain a records abstract from the Home office in the UK, it will be equivalent to a standard DBS CRB.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@fitlee

It is a state initiated local and national CRB, the state police will pull the abstract from the FBIs NCIC database. It takes several weeks.

Next step is QTS, after that it will depend on what experience you obtain.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

Thanks for the info.

I'm still shaking my head as to why I signed up for this PGCE course. Seems like I could have obtained the licence from a beach in South East Asia then jump to a third tier IS (which is what I'd be doing anyway after finishing the PGCE with no experience).
joe30

Post by joe30 »

Well I just tried applying for the Utah background check, apparently you need a US social security number to do it.

So looks like this particular avenue is closed to non-Americans. :(
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@joe30

This is a form limitation, but UT issues credentials to foreign DTs. You need to contact the UT DOE (go to their contact page) they will tell you what to do, and most likely will issue you a CACTUS number (your UT DOE number) or will give you other instructions.