If saving MONEY was the only objective, what country?

STEMteacher

If saving MONEY was the only objective, what country?

Post by STEMteacher »

I just want to work a few years and save as much as I can. I have a trailing wife, and a Master's of Ed in Math and Science for Teachers plus an engineering degree, certificate, and 7 years experience...

Where should I be looking?

Thanks!!
dragonguy

Re: If saving MONEY was the only objective, what country?

Post by dragonguy »

Anywhere in the Middle East.
Saudi or Kuwait you could probably save the most....nothing to do but save.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

Besides the Middle East, China is a another option.
Jay_Jay

Post by Jay_Jay »

China is only a good option if you live local like. (Unless you are lucky enough to land at one of the 3 top paying schools in BJ) (Otherwise, look at bringing home approx 3.5-4000usd a month)

*That means no taxis, taking bus and subway everywhere....Then you get to mingle with the cream of society, nose-pickers, loogie hawkers, non toothpaste users and all.

*That also means daily shopping in the wet markets to buy your meats and veggie, instead of eating out or going to Jenny Lu's.

*Living in resident communities, instead of apartment complexes. (lucky if the elevators run past 10:00pm)

Living as such, you would be able to save 2.5-3000usd a month, for a period of 2years comes out to 60-70k??
PsyGuy

Respponse

Post by PsyGuy »

Agree with @Jay_Jay, China isnt a fun place to live like a hermit to save some coin, and with a trailing spouse, shes not going to watch DVDs all day waiting for you to come home, month after month, year after year.

You want to go to the Kingdom, and a few other places in the ME. Theres little temptation to spend coin on, and the salary has potential to build quickly.

There are some Swiss boarding ISs in the middle of nowhere that there isnt much to spend coin on, and youll find high 5 figure salaries and some 6 figure salaries high on the scale.
marieh

Re: Respponse

Post by marieh »

> There are some Swiss boarding ISs in the middle of nowhere that there isnt
> much to spend coin on, and youll find high 5 figure salaries and some 6
> figure salaries high on the scale.

Would you mind sharing the names of one or two of these schools? Do Swiss ISs tend to have big enough student populations to support multiple sections of IB HL Math or AP Calculus/Physics?
STEMteacher

Re: Respponse

Post by STEMteacher »

> There are some Swiss boarding ISs in the middle of nowhere that there isnt
> much to spend coin on, and youll find high 5 figure salaries and some 6
> figure salaries high on the scale.

Hi PS...I would be curious too. Which schools would you be looking?

I worked in Shenzhen and it wasn't so bad and I saved a bit. These Swiss schools bording ISs in the middle of nowhere sound better though.

What are the top 3 BJ schools? Thanks...I am really new here.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

BJ=Beijing. Though I'd say the same is true for Shanghai, if you're coming in with 7 years experience and an M.A. You're going to start around $60-70,000 USD, and have housing, retirement, and other benefits on top of that. Living well as an expat (not eating noodles every day), it would be easy to save at least $3-4000/month. I know a teaching couple with a child that easily saved $80-90,000/year and took great vacations and ate at expensive restaurants.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I would also have a somewhat higher opinion of China for savings potential. If you are at good to great school in Beijing or Shanghai (or a few other large cities) you can live well and still save some good money. By living well I mean eating out, shopping at more western friendly places once in a while, taking some taxis etc. If you are going to go crazy and try live like an expense account expat then yeah, you are not going to bank much cash but if you have a good package (not necessarily one of the top 3, which we cannot name here), hunt around for reasonable accommodation and be moderate in your luxuries you can still pretty well.
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

I would imagine Venezuela would have to be near the top as well? Especially if you are being paid in USD.
jimmycajun

Post by jimmycajun »

45-50k savings in Kazakhstan without breaking a sweat. The tenge has plummeted but local prices do not reflect the exchange rate and remain low. If you're not in Almaty or Astana, good luck trying to spend 500 bucks a month.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

One way to save a ton, STEMteacher, is to get your wife certified and get two incomes coming in at a good school :-)
marieh

Post by marieh »

>>One way to save a ton, STEMteacher, is to get your wife certified and get two incomes coming in at a good school :-)

This is sound advice, but I would caution the OP about the realities of looking for two STEM jobs, as opposed to say one STEM job and an elementary position. In my experience, finding two HS level science/math positions at the same school can be difficult. This is especially true if you are looking at schools in hardship locations that have incredible savings potential, as they are likely much smaller than the high paying Tier 1s (ISB, SAS, etc).
STEMteacher

Post by STEMteacher »

shadowjack wrote:
> One way to save a ton, STEMteacher, is to get your wife certified and get
> two incomes coming in at a good school :-)

So true Shadow but she is 2 years into a hotel admin degree but in Colombia. Since she is bilingual, so I am thinking teaching asst. cert. if there is one....
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

STEMteacher - if she is going for teaching assistant - why not go for early primary instead. With your background, it appears that there would be schools who would offer your spouse a contract as well if she were certified. AND...she would make a lot more money and take a lot less crap.

Just saying...