Teacher Ready versus Teach Now ?

missy

Teacher Ready versus Teach Now ?

Post by missy »

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has has any experiences (good or bad) with these programs and which one
is better ?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not an issue of which one is better, its which one is feasible for you. The field experience requirement is the essential factor.

Teach Now: This program through D.C. has a 12 week/3 month field experience. To do that you would already need an appointment/job at an IS or DS, or have a cooperating IS/DS that would give you a classroom for a term/semester. Thats a hard sell to pitch to a recruiter/HOS, ISs charge good coin, and parents arent paying so that their children can be lab rats for an intern to make their bones.

Teach Ready: Uses FL certification, the field experience requirement is one week/5 days. Thats a much easier position to make to a cooperating IS/DS. You must essentially be a US Citizen to obtain FL certification.

PGCEi: This is the international version of the standard academic qualification in the UK for professional educators. It does not directly result in a license (QTS), but the PGCEi is a working credential for many lower tier ISs. It is entirely based on academic coursework, their is no field experience requirement. It is the most practical option if you do not have a cooperating IS/DS.

New Jersey: If you are already in the states and can get to NJ, you can get a CE by doing a weekend/week long PD course and meeting the degree and testing requirements. The CE is a lifelong credential that doesnt require renewal.

There are some other minor differences between Teach Now and Teach Ready:

1) Both programs cost about USD$6000, but you would have to travel back to the States to do the Teach Ready program, as their testing component is the FTCE, which would have the extra cost of travel. Teach Now uses the PRAXIS which is available globally. The PGCEi has no testing component but you would have to travel to a cohort location for the program induction/introduction part of the program.

2) Teach Now uses a Cohort model, meaning you have set time frames and times you have to be available online and submit your work deliverables. Teach Readys model is self paced, you can work at your own schedule.

3) DCs certification is for 4 years, FL for 5. FLs application and renewal fees are a little higher than D.C.s. ($75 vs. $50)

4) You can add additional subjects to either certificate by taking the corresponding exam, again D.C uses the PRAXIS which is available globally, FL requires the FTCE, which is only available in the States.

5) D.C. has a bit more prestige and status over FL.

6) Both states have PD renewal requirements. Both require 90 contact hours (6 credit hours), but FL requires three credit hours (45 contact hours) in each teaching field you renew. Which becomes significant when you start adding multiple certificates. I would have around 35 FL certifications each requiring 3 credit hours, and 3.5 years of full time Uni coursework to re certify.

7) They have slightly different certification restrictions, Fl has engineering, and DC has home economics for example.
missy

Re: Teacher Ready versus Teach Now ?

Post by missy »

Thanks for the information.

I am looking to re-new my elementary certification and I am in the US right now. (I have taught overseas.)
If I understand correctly, Teach Now is better as D.C. certification (as you state) has more prestige ?

Also, what is a CE ?

I thought the PGCEi is only for UK teachers, not Americans ?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@missy

If you are eligible to renew your primary certification, why are you interested at all new initial certification programs? Is your primary certification not renewable?

Teach Now is a superior program in my view, because it:

1) Relies on more collaboration and direct interaction with your trainers and fellow colleagues. The Teach Ready program is certainly more convenient, but your doing the program in a bubble.

2) This cant be over stated, the Teach Ready field experience is 5 days, thats it. No one learns anything by experience in doing it for 5 days. Not that field experience is very valuable, but the Teach Nows field experience of 12 weeks/3 months your at least having to construct lessons within a scope and sequence, experience how assessment guides instruction. Experience and manage a classroom over an extended period of them and getting to actually know your student.
With a 5 day field experience your looking at doing someone elses lesson (you might do it, but your going to have very restricted flexibility in not meeting whatever the class is doing). Your going to give one end of unit/lesson quiz, and at most your going to be a visiting/guest IT/DT. Sure the students will be on a little better behavior with a stranger in the room, but your just borrowing someone elses class for a week, its not your class.

3) D.C. is easier to maintain. Its a lot easier adding additional certifications, the cost is lower, and D.C. is more lax on what they will accept for renewal. DCs certification is one year less (4 years) than FL (5 years).

DC has a little more prestige/status than FL. Your going to have more name and location recognition. Students in D.C. generally do very well compared to the whole of the state of FL. Its a bit elitist though, because the economically disadvantaged cant generally afford to live in D.C. service area. Most of the people that work in D.C. who arent consultants or government employees, live outside the district and commute, those students would attend local DSs in neighboring areas. DC is basically politician/lawyers kids and other countries foreign embassy kids, and most of them go to private/independent ISs. However, the difference isnt worth it if thats your only consideration.

CE is a "Certificate of Eligibility" its NJs initial teaching credential. Its not the most well respected credential, but it makes you legal, and its a lifetime credential, that never needs renewing. NJ recently changed their certification scheme, in the past you had to use reciprocity if you could (meaning you needed the equivalent of another states CE to apply), and outside of reciprocity applying for a CE, was done through your ITT/EPP program (a certification program), so you had to apply to the program, and pay before they would recommend you for the CE. Now candidates can apply for the CE directly.

A PGCEi is an academic qualification, the program is open to anyone who can pay the tuition fees and meets the admission requirements. Its not "only" a British/UK program. You can go to the UK and complete a Uni based PGCE program and receive full QTS as an American. You can even take your US teaching credential and apply for full QTS (Qualified Teaching Status), which is the professional teaching license in the UK. Its a 15 minute application, no fee, never expires.
Since your background is primary, once you have your teaching credential in the states again you can apply for QTS and then let your US certification expire.
missy

Post by missy »

Ok.....
and what is the renewal process once you have a DC teacher certification ?

Also it looks like the NJ teacher certification reciprocity has changed ? http://www.state.nj.us/education/educat ... rocity.htm

Can I PM you ?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> 2) Teach Now uses a Cohort model, meaning you have set time frames and times you
> have to be available online and submit your work deliverables. Teach Readys model> 6) Both states have PD renewal requirements. Both require 90 contact hours (6 credit
> hours), but FL requires three credit hours (45 contact hours) in each teaching field
> you renew. Which becomes significant when you start adding multiple certificates.
> I would have around 35 FL certifications each requiring 3 credit hours, and 3.5
> years of full time Uni coursework to re certify.
-----------------------------------
Florida now allows you to retake a subject area test so two hours and a passing score (and $220) will give you a quick 3 hours towards your renewal (and you can take it on a computer from overseas if you have access to the center, which I do :D).

Yes, I would also wonder why the OP doesn't renew her certificate through the state that issued it. If possible that must be the easiest/cheapest way to go. If not and the OP has experience she could look into Wisconsin. They seem to have a route to certification that gives credit for experience (mainly for private school teachers who are not certified).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@missy

One your certified in DC you have about 3.5 years to do 90 hours of professional development. DC will accept a lot of certificates from your IS (as long as the training is content or meds/peds related), or training like IB/AP workshops. You can find a lot of free stuff from various States and the UK. They will also accept Uni credit hours of which you need 6 credit hours. You can submit the application for renewal 90 days before expiration.

Yes NJ recently changed their requirements thats what I discussed above. Meeting the NJ CE requirements isnt very difficult if you can get into the 24hr PD course.

PMs are not enabled on this board.

@WT123

This is true, but while you and I could take the FTCE overseas most ITs dont have the access. Given the cost of travel to take exams, it would likely be cheaper to do 3 hours online.

The WI pathway with experience still requires completion of an EPP (assuming the LW did so initially, this must be an alternative certification route). All that aside though you still have to complete the equivalent of a portfolio requirement with the DOE. It would be easier to apply for the CT initial certificate based on prior experience (2 years) which is less than the WI requirement (3 years), and which would require the PRAXIS elementary exam which the LW may have already taken.
The other option is applying for a CA credential, CA doesnt require that the certificate actually be valid when applying assuming they meet the requirements for the CLEAR credential.

My assumption is that the LW had/has a certificate like the CA preliminary credential that cant be renewed and they didnt complete the requirements to transition to the professional certificate.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

If you're just talking about renewal, I used Missouri a few years back because their license is valid for 99 years from the date of issue. YES, 99 YEARS, with no PD requirement. This saves a lot of time and money. I don't know if it is still the same today, but you may want to look into it. All I had to do was submit proof of 4 years of teaching employment, transcripts, and copies of my not yet expired teaching certifications, and maybe a background check.
kjbar

Post by kjbar »

I have Missouri certification and upgraded from my initial certification to professional/career continuous a couple of years ago. If you have 10 or more years experience, a master's degree, or national board certification, there is no PD requirement and it's good for 99 years.

To the OP: if you have at least four years of experience (and meet the other requirements) to qualify for the professional/career continuous certification and you're looking for a good way to renew, Missouri might be for you. There's more information on the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's website. https://dese.mo.gov/educator-quality/ce ... on/teacher
missy

Post by missy »

@kjbar and Dredge : Thanks for letting me know about the Missouri certificate. I will look into that.

@PsyGuy : I notice that the Teacher Ready program is via the University of West Florida where as Teach Now is not through any college/university ? Doesn't that make Teach Now less credible ?

As for my teacher certificate- it is from Pennsylvania and it is not clear if it has expired as I have kept up with my Act 48 hours.
The college I got it from is unable to figure it out and has indicated that I contact the Pennsylvania Dept of Education.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The forum has had the Missouri discussion before. Essentially while yes Missouri issues a career certificate valid for 99 years, it requires a lot of work. Aside from the 10 years experience, a masters degree, etc for the career certificate at application, to transition the initial certificate to the career certificate you need 4 years experience, participation in a mentoring program, enrollment in a beginning teaching program, have a development plan and be evaluated within the state teacher assessment program. Thats a lot of work and time, and the options are actually easier.

NJ requires half the Missouri time (2 years), and aside from a degree and content mastery (PRAXIS testing), you need a hygiene course, and the NJ certificate is a Lifetime certificate.
CA is easier than Missouri, you need only two years experience, a masters degree, and an out of state ESOL certification (in addition to a degree, and testing requirements). It wouldnt really be practical to transition the Missouri initial certificate to the career certificate without returning to the state.
Lastly, CA enjoys great status internationally and even NJ has some international recognition compared to Missouri. NJ provides a lifetime certificate with no PD requirement and has easier application requirements.

Missouri has a place for IT, if you have a doctorate Missouri will give you an initial teaching certificate in your doctoral field that can be renewed indefinitely, without any form of EPP/ITT program.

@missy

Teach ready has several partners the two of any value are University of West Florida and Colorado State (global studies program). Teach Now doesnt have a university, despite having Masters programs (and their masters degrees arent worth much), but those Teach Ready credit arent worth very much either. You get a transcript with 12 hours on it, but Colorado only allows you to apply 6 credits towards the requirements for the degree, and UFM only allows you to apply 9 hours towards a Masters degree, because those credits are essentially elective credit.
if your interested in a Masters program, look at Masters programs. As an EPP/ITT program what matters is if the program is approved by the regulatory authority and where in the NASDTEC agreement its located. Unless a program is attached to one of the Ivys of the world (Harvard, OxBridge, Sorbonne, McGill, etc..) a non traditional certification program completer isnt going to mean much of anything. Youre very unlikely to get step for credits that are less than a degree (some ISs do, but 12 credits isnt going to meet any threshold for partial step).

Whats going to matter in comparing any certification program is:
1) How long the field experience is?
2) What was the extent of your responsibility?
3) How you were evaluated, and what the evaluation, reference/recommendation says.

In Teach Ready, no one learns anything about anything doing it for 5 days.
In 5 days your responsibility was pretty much to deliver that ITs lesson, or an approved lesson that fits in their scope and sequence. Your substituting for a week, with an ITs thats not actually absent.
What would you expect leadership who supervised you or cooperated with you to say after only 5 days? Your lessons were polished, your performance was organized, and you didnt run screaming from the room. Stay for 3 months and you may actually get a reference that has utility going forward.

As discussed above the issue is what type of access you have for your field experience, Teach Now will give you more utility/value but you need an IS/DS to give you a classroom for 3 months. If you cant get that but you can get a week/5 days than you do Teach Ready. If you cant get an IS/DS at all you do a PGCEi.

I would strongly contact the PA DOE, and find out. What does the PA online search state about your license? If it 'looks' valid, apply for QTS now, you may slip through a crack.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

@Psyguy

Yes, but if you already have a Masters and 4 years experience, it's the best option out there to maintain certification...forever without having to jump through hoops every few years. Although, I lost one of my certifications because it didn't match in Missouri.
missy

Post by missy »

@ PsyGuy.....I do not have a Masters degree....just a BA plus 2 Pennsylvania teacher certifications. One is good for 99 years but the other certificate (elementary) is the one I am concerned about. It states that it was issued in 1998 and is valid 6 years YET
I have been taking classes (Act 48 hours) every couple of years to keep it valid. What I do not understand is why this does not show up on my certificate. ( I was able to check on line and it shows that I have been keeping up with my Act 48 hours).
I guess I will have to contact the Pennsylvania Department of Education.

As for Teacher Ready vs Teacher Now....if I already have plenty of teaching experience in the classroom, wouldn't it be fine to do Teacher Ready as I don't really need the classroom experience ?

I am concerned that Teacher Now not only has no university/college attached to its name but that its Masters program seems to be really not worth the paper it is printed on ?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Dredge

No its not, NJ would be a better option. 99 years isnt forever, NJs certificate if "life" thats forever in terms of scope for one human being. If you also had an ESOL certificate CA would be a better option, and it would be worth the fee every 5 years.

@missy

You do not need Teach Ready, Teach Now or any other certification/credentialing program. Keep up with the PA DOE, this may likely resolve itself, as nothing more than a data error. You still have a valid PA educator credential, you just need to move your certification to a new state and add primary/elementary to it.

How much current experience do you have? If you have two years, apply for the NJ certification, you may have to take the PRAXIS for Elementary, but you will get a NJ standard certificate with lifetime validity, and you never have to think about it again, or keep up with PD (Act 48).
The other option if you dont have current experience is to apply for DC certification and then take the Elementary Praxis and add Elementary to the DC regular certificate. You could then apply for QTS, and either build the experience for NJ or rely on the QTS qualification.
Taking a PRAXIS exam is far less costly, and less time consuming than another EPP/ITT program, and both Teach Ready and Teach Now would leave you with state certifications that require PD for renewal and 4/5 years to complete it.

I would agree Teach Ready is more convenient and easier to accomplish, and with a well built resume of experience no one is going to care what or how you did in the field experience.

Teach Nows Masters isnt worth the paper its printed on.
The concern regarding the certification program however isnt valid. Lots of US EPP programs arent attached to academic institutions and the credentials they recommend for are no less or more valid (legal) than the teaching credential you would be recommended for through a traditional Uni certification program. Those 12 hours from Teach Ready arent going to impress anyone and their only worth a couple class electives in a Masters Program, but thats something.
You can do the Teach Ready Program and then use the FL certificate to apply for DC certification if those hours are valuable to you, and DC certification appeals to you. There is however nothing wrong at all with FL certification, and again a handful of minimally useful hours is still more than nothing that youd get through Teach Now. Teach Ready would be the better option just in terms of being self paced and requiring far less in terms of field experience.
missy

Post by missy »

@PsyGuy Thanks for all of this information.
Today I looked up my certificates on-line on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website. It says that the CE status is "active" and that the validity status is "valid".
However, I still see that the elementary certificate has an issue date of 1998 that is valid for 6 years....to me this is confusing
so I will call the PA Dept of Ed tomorrow to figure things out.

Yes, I have several years of teaching experience (in the US and overseas) so I am leaning towards Teacher Ready (only if it turns out my elementary teacher certification has expired) as I already have the classroom experience. I just hope that the whole process will not be a waste of my money.

Again, many thanks for the time and effort in responding to my questions.