Teacher Ready versus Teach Now ?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@missy

I dont know how the PA DOE TIMS currently reports their data. It may be that the system is reporting your certificate is valid and was initially issued in 1998. If your certificate had expired, than it wouldnt say valid, so no expiration date in needed to report it.

You really dont need Teach Ready, you just need to transfer your certificate to another state and take the PRAXIS. A couple hundred USD in testing and application fees is much cheaper than $6000 for the Teach Ready Program, and the testing will take you a day to do, much less work and time than 9 months in Teach Ready (and youd still have to take the FL exams).

I would highly recommend you complete the QTS application at the link below, you dont even need a letter from the PA DOE, they can and will check the online record. There is no fee or other documents to submit.

https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... n/OTTPage1
missy

Re: Teacher Ready versus Teach Now ?

Post by missy »

@PsyGuy-the link you posted does not work ?

I just called the Pennsylvania Dept of Edu and they stated that they only count actual years of service.
Since I only taught in Pennsylvania 2 years out of the 6 years (the rest being overseas) that my certificate is valid....the person said that it has not expired. I asked if I could get something in writing that stated that so I could provide it to the next school overseas that wants to hire me. According to them, I do not need such document as it clearly states that on "expiration date" column there is no date as I only taught for 2 years in Pennsylvania.

I still find this confusing .....
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@missy

Try this link instead:

https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... ecognition

If there is no expiration date, you are fine unless your IS is demanding such a letter. If that is the case, move from calling to email, and direct your email to the following:

Russell Breindel
rbreindel@pa.gov

Explain briefly you are working at an IS overseas, and there i some confusion about your certificates validity, and you need a letter of good standing, then follow their directions.

A number of states only count service years to expiration for years worked in the state. Some other states allow an IT/DT to "freeze" their certificate, effectively stopping the clock on their expiration.
missy

Re: Teacher Ready versus Teach Now ?

Post by missy »

@PsyGuy

Thanks for the contact information. I looked him up and saw that he works at the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
I have emailed him a detailed message today explaining my situation in hopes that I can get it resolved.

I also tried out the link you posted and I was surprised at how easy it was to apply for the QTS on-line and it is free!
It takes 20 days for them to review all documents.
The only part that I wonder about is how a QTS from an American teacher will be received at international schools ?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@missy

I strongly advise applying for QTS for newly certified DTs/ITs. The TCL really has really modernized the process of global reciprocity in educator credentials. USA, CAN, AUS could really take a lesson in recognizing that meds/peds is highly congruent, and leave it to local authoritys and employers to determine what is acceptable subject specific competence.

QTS is just as much a professional credential as a US state credential. ASs hire British ITs and BSs hire American ITs. One is not better than the other. The issue you will run into is that upper tier BSs are going to realize very quickly that you have no familiarity with the system and lexicon. Like many curriculums it would be highly advisable to study those systems and terminology so that you can talk about it intelligently with recruiters.
Also understand that the UKNC in a maintained DS in England is often going to look differnt than a BS IS, its not uncommon to find a BS thats 'British lite'.