Should I pursue this opportunity?

neehow

Should I pursue this opportunity?

Post by neehow »

I am currently teaching in China and will be teaching in Middle East next year. I have some questions about new school. One of my issues is visa attestment. Both my wife and I were hired (myself as teacher and her as teaching assistant). I spent 3 months getting documents getting attested and now they have them (with ME consulate seal). They know want my wife's documents attested which is very difficult as it's not a US university (it's India). I only get one or two word answers to my emails and questions - only 3 months until school year starts. On the other hand, my school in China was right on top of everything in terms of visas, etc. and very communicative. I would hate to be stuck in a ME country at the airport in 50C heat with no one to meet me nor no support. I don't know whether to go back to the US at this point, to continue to pursue this opportunity or to find another position as something does not feel right there.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its very, very unlikely your spouses documents will ever get attested/authenticated to the point they will be acceptable to anything in the ME (my reflex is that your position is in the Kingdom). Your IS will likely have to expend some political currency and resources to get your spouse approved.

Its really not an issue though, I dont know why your IS is being so vague. For a teaching assistant once your in country, even if she comes on a dependents visa she would still be able to be a TA, at least part time. Even if they couldnt get her a work permit they could always channel her salary through you.

This may be the ISs way of changing the offer and giving you a soft rejection on your spouses appointment/hiring. They still want you, they dont want your spouse (its probably nothing personal), and they are using the visa process as a way of making immigration the bad guy (its not their fault its immigration fault, so sorry, but theres nothing we can do). They may be hesitant to expend any measure of resources to get a work visa for a TA.

I would suggest contacting them about some options in making the current dual arrangement work, and if they are receptive to that then that really might be the easier route, and its not worth going through the formal immigration work visa route. If they are unwilling to explore other options, than its more likely they just dont want to employ your spouse.