school benefits

jboeh2

school benefits

Post by jboeh2 »

Hello, I have been working at my current international school for almost two years. It has been a great fit, yet wanted to know your thoughts on a few issues. As I am nearly ready to resign another 2 year contract, I made a request for an additional benefit.

Current benefits include:
flight home for myself (when I renew a contract), yet not my wife or two children
health insurance for myself, yet not my wife or two kids.
kids schooling is covered
meals are currently covered.

I requested if in the new contract, insurance could be covered for all, yet this was declined.
secondly, I was told that some benefits, such as meals for kids and other administration feels would not be covered under the new contract. I was a bit surprised, as the benefits seems to go down, instead of up.

What are your thoughts on this? What are common benefits offered to families? (I know it can depend greatly on the school) I was told that in most international schools, teachers still need to pay 20-35% of the schooling fee for their children to attend, yet I haven't heard of this much myself.

Thanks
marina

Re: school benefits

Post by marina »

They are completely screwing you. What do you do for insurance for the rest of them? I hope you are in a first world country with great public health care. Have you started looking at listings? This school sounds horrible. Are all the teachers who are expats singles?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Where are you located? If youre in a region with a great social insurance scheme than providing private global insurance could just be a frivolous cost.
Benefits and OSH packages vary greatly mostly based on tier and region.

Benefits have been inching downward, especially in the area of tuition/fee waivers. In the past traditionally however many children the IT had got waivers. Now more and more ISs are imposing limits that are about 1:1 ratios. Each employee gets one full tuition waiver, a teaching couple would get 2 waivers, and then additional children either pay the full fee or get a further discount, somewhere around half or 50%.
While the effects of the global recession has continued to shrink, much of the way multinationals do business has changed. The housing recession saw a lot of corporate entities cutting costs mostly in travel and overseas postings. More and more of corporate business and management is being handled digitally and remotely. The days of multinationals sending western employees to overseas posts is disappearing. Fewer expats on corporate overseas packages means ISs have to redirect enrollment effort towards the host nation locals, and this often means competing for students tuition fees with other options, being competitive means reducing fees and adding value. The general/typical value of a tuition fee waiver is about USD$10K/year, and the average (very gross average) of IT salaries is about USD$30K, adding two tuition waivers increases the cost of that OSH hire by 67%. That cost can be mitigated in an IS that has empty places or is below capacity but at an IS that is at capacity and has waiting lists thats real cost. To think of that in scale if an IS has 100 OSH employees and there is an average of one waiver per hire, thats USD$1,000,000 in unrealized revenue.
Kids are cost, and big cost, they add nothing, and its why ITs who have travel ratios higher than 1:1 have increasing problems recruiting. Your ISs leadership has probably decided that they can hire an IT who is single or a teaching couple/no dependents.

Where I agree with @marina, is that typically current faculty are "grandfathered" into such new policies, so that they get the benefits of the previous contract and incoming faculty get the new contract benefits. While it may be possible that due to labor regulations an IS cant do that (they cant compensate the same class of employees differently).
Insurance is usually a minor benefit, and typically has very modest costs as part of an OSH compensation program. Your IS may not be able to negotiate a favorable policy premium at this point in their current insurance contract, its more likely that your value to the iS isnt as great or as high as you thought it was.

You are an expensive logistical hire, you fill one classroom but you have a trailing spouse and 2 children, meaning an IS has to travel 4 people to fill that one classroom. It would appear that your IS is growing and those tuition/fee waivers as well as other costs now represent actual revenue loses. The insurance issue is likely just their opportunity to disclose the new OSH compensation and benefits structure.
The last possibility is that they dont want you anymore and are trying to motivate you to leave.

My reaction would be that your at a very young IS, and in the beginning when the IS had lots of room to grow you werent seen as an expensive hire, since you paid most of the travel costs out of pocket. Housing is probably inexpensive in your region and the allowance (if any) between you and a single wasnt significant. To be a lean IS means attracting a lot of singles and teaching couples with no kids. Now the IS has grown and is getting closer to capacity and your package is now representing actual losses and costs your IS doesnt want to absorb.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

jboeh2 - it sounds as if you were hired as a single hire, yet given additional benefits (tuition for 2 children, for instance). I have been in the situation where even though I was willing to pay the difference in insurance, my school declined for some reasons they gave me. As long as the school isn't baiting and switching you, then you know what you are in for.

My question is, unless you are already in WE, why are you only now signing your renewal? If you are in WE, then you already have coverage through the government plans, making the other redundant in many ways.

I too have been in a situation where my benefits were changed. It certainly changed my attitude and when I had the chance, I moved on and have never looked back.

I would see if you can renew for ONE year (two years locks you in) and see if your wife can get certified. But you should know that there are many schools out there that will not give you tuition for two kids, and will only give you a flight for you and one dependent unless your wife is also teaching at the school. That said, if your wife is a professional are there places you can go that she can get a job and get benefits too?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Its possible the IS delayed contract renewals until late in the season, potentially restricting the recruiting opportunities of current staff while the IS adapted new contracts and policies. Their rational being that even with a less favorable contract ITs would have few options.

My assumption was that they had already renewed and were considering resignation in light of the changes. Even if the renewal wasnt prolonged, the modifications to the contract in terms of compensation and benefits no longer meets the requirement of a meeting of minds and voids the earlier/prior renewal, allowing the IT to resign and pursue other opportunities.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

OP says he is nearly ready to resign a new 2 year contract. Not sure if he means re-sign or resign. Gotta love English.

Any school that doesn't let you know by end of October at the latest what is going on isn't a school I would want to be at. Too restrictive to finding the next gig.

Keep us posted OP, and clarify?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Thats English for you.
jboeh2

Post by jboeh2 »

Thanks for your replies.

So, I meant re-sign, not resign :)

The school is late in sending out the re-signing contract (I don't think it was a purposeful delay of contract). It is a newer school (6th year) and are growing. With that said, our children do not take up anyone else's place at the moment, as both those classes are quite small (smallest two classes in the school). I do think they are trying to get new policies in place for the future, yet don't understand taking away a benefit that I had on a previous contract. I understand I am an "expensive hire" having a family, yet as I said, they don't cover insurance or travel for wife or kids, so we are not actually costing them that much more at the moment.

We are not in a western country, so medical care is not too expensive ($200 per month for the family). Since I moved though, on-site housing and my flight (upon renewal of a contract) are included, so those are some benefits which went into effect mid-contract.

With this all said, I know the school is trying to improve the benefits for everyone's contracts. For single teachers, the benefits have gone up with housing and flights now included. It just isn't sufficient for a family. We have enjoyed our experience here though and given the job market, don't think I will stand a very high chance elsewhere. I am Special Ed, plus have 4 years classroom (Primary) experience, but as PsyGuy said, I might be too "expensive" to go elsewhere. Not sure how to approach this issue or just "suck it up" and take on the extra expense.

Thanks again for all your feedback!
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

I just had to login to comment on this. Your school is pretty horrid if they "know you and like you" and wouldn't budge on the insurance issue for your family. I know that it is a young school, but please, respect yourself more than this. Start applying to other jobs now that come with insurance included and other perks you are now seeking. See if you can re-sign for a one-year period in the interim. If not, re-sign for a two-year contract. As soon as you get a job offer, quit this current school and get out. They have no respect for your family; you should have no respect for this school after your years of service there. Teachers' who are willing to martyr themselves for a job don't just hurt themselves, they make schools think they can get high-quality people who will sell themselves out. If you are a high quality teacher, make schools suffer the humiliation (with their paying constituency of parents) of getting poor-quality teachers willing to sell themselves out.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jboeh2

If your IS is getting contracts out now, this is REALLY late in the season, if its not on purpose its gross incompetence or negligence.

Whats to understand, they arent going to give you any better a package than a single just because you have a family. Your family isnt adding anything to their bottom line, why should they pay subsidize it? Especially for a primary IT who are very plentiful. They like you, and another IT is an unknown factor, but convenience and comfort have a cost and they appear to have drawn the line in the sand. Taking a way a benefit reduces their costs. Your family just isnt their problem, and while it doesnt cost them that much, its too much for them.

You are expensive and for a primary IT your not going to get full OSH package for your family at anywhere that isnt a first tier IS, but there are plenty of ISs that will give you full places for two children and family health insurance. Those are some of the easiest benefits to negotiate, especially if the IS is below capacity. You basically havr a local package, and only subsidized tuition/fee waivers.

SPED is a different issue, you really only find fully developed SPED programs at first tier ISs, but its a difficult vacancy to fill.

I wouldnt make an issue of the contract length, it might tip off your IS that your unhappy and looking, and they might decide to dismiss you. Just take whatever contract they offer, and if you break contract, plenty of ISs will understand. You got hit with a renewal late in the year with no real options.

@reisgio

They might not be able to budge. Insurance contracts are usually multi year agreements and their may not be a provision to add dependents under the contract. Doing so may require a whole new policy or rider on the existing policy and to do it for one family or a small number would likely be not better than the retail cost of the insurance. In which case your giving the IT a comp allowance equal to the cost of the insurance. This could have issues with other staff who arent getting the extra coin, etc..
jboeh2

Post by jboeh2 »

@PsyGuy

we are all already under the school insurance policy, we just need to give back $200 per month to cover these costs. I get the points you are making. From a business point of view, they are doing what they need to do. I am not very business minded though, so don't always understand these decisions.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jboeh2

They brokered and arranged the policy and they collect the premium from you, its still very likely a retail or near retail rider on their policy. You could likely have found similar coverage on your own, but it would still be at your expense. They dont want to absorb the cost.