International Schools Paying $100,000+

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

The LW stated the position was in the US and was equivalent to 170,000CHF, which after converting into USD is $166,600.
shadowjack

Re: International Schools Paying $100,000+

Post by shadowjack »

No, he stated that it is equivalent to 170K CF in Zurich. Then you go - not 170K CF, but 170K CF in Zurich (a very expensive city). So he is NOT getting 170K US or 166K US but his offer is north of 100K US that would allow him to live a lifestyle of 170K Zurich.

But taxes and hidden fees will suck up a ton of that, so give me my 57K and let me go on my way :-)
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

We interpreted the LWs original letter differently.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

English is funny that way :-)
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

This may be the most fascinating post of 2016. It's sort of like a mystery you want to keep reading to find out who did it, or in this case, who is paying it?! But on top of that, how much is it anyway? If it 166,000 CHF or something far less is really the verbal equivalent to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I think that the choice of Switzerland may have been the OP's way of saying could he or she ever expect to make X dollars in Switzerland because he or she has just been offered that in the US and he or she really wants to take it! But, she or he would love to ultimately make that much in Switzerland one day.

But others think he or she (another mystery, but probably a she since the screen name) is saying that she would be living in the US like someone making $170,000 would be living in Zurich. I don't know of any Swiss school that pays $170,000 to teachers, but I do know some that pay that to admins. Yet, $170,000 in Zurich is the equivalent of making $141,000 in Washington, DC, $122,000 in LA, California, and $165,000 in NY, New York. Those are also salaries that are pretty much admin-only territory in those most expensive US cities.

The third and final option is that maybe she means that she would be making $170,000 in the US, which would actually like making far MORE than that in Zurich since the COL in Zurich is so high. Is it possible she is getting an offer of over $200,000 in the US?!!!

OP, please let us know how this story ends. I am riveted.
Oxalis

Post by Oxalis »

I'm not sure how to interpret the 170,000 equivalency either. You all have reasonable interpretations.

I'd sure like to know what countries/regions to work in to make 57,000/year that SJ refers to or just enough to replace domestic retirement funds. I am vested in my US state pension fund, but if I leave after only 14 years of service, my monthly checks may be about $1500-2000 less/month than if I stayed home. That and the loss of payments to Social Security make me wonder whether I can save enough for retirement.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@reisgio

All of those could be valid interpretations. I would highly doubt the LW would clear up the confusion on where, its a very small group of DSs/ISs that would have coin like that. I also believe the LW got their answer.

There are some Swiss salary scales that would get to that at the top end of the scale, and an IS can always wave the leadership wand and put anybody at a higher step on the scale if its what it takes to make the deal.
Those salaries in those US states arent admin only salaries, their are DSs/ISs that pay that much at the top end of their scale.

Regardless of the actual amount its a a six figure salary in western coin, however you cut it which is what the LWs title addresses (100,000+), and the consensus is that its a rare find. Super IT problems.

@Oxalis

Many elite tier ISs would provide you a salary in the 55K range, you can get that at a number of ISs in the ME.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Oxalis,

there are lots of schools out there that will allow you the 57K - you just have to do your research and work your way to them/target them. Many of the are not the Tier 1s you think about either. either.
marina

Post by marina »

I am sorry about the confusion. The offer was actually $100,000 even post- income tax. It was not inclusive of schooling for children, housing, or flights. But health care insurance was included. Before I let you know if I took it or not, should I have?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@marina

Yes

There are still some significant unknowns, such as:

1) What would you be leaving?
2) Without places for your children, whats the local DS options?
3) Whats the housing market like in the region?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Good points PG.
marina

Post by marina »

1. I would be leaving a school that pays more than 50% less than this offer but which does pay for flights, health care, and schooling of dependent children up to two children
2. Varied (public, private, and parochial) and of ok to good quality and ranging from free to $30,000/year per student
3. Below national average (not NYC, LA, DC, BOS, SF, SD)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Sounds like a no-brainer. With SS deductions paid into for retirement and the coin, sounds like you would do well there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@marina

Absolutely Yes.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

@marina

I feel like you are a child leaving home, leaving international education, but at least you are a child who is graduating on to bigger and better things as opposed to those who fail out and move in with their parents until they are 40+ (which could certainly describe the disposition of many an international teacher)! Great job and congratulations! If they ever reactivate PMs, please PM me the school you are going to join so I can join you there in financial paradise. Please keep contributing your international insights and don't just disappear into the ether.