CV writing question (especially for any ex or current Heads)

expatscot

CV writing question (especially for any ex or current Heads)

Post by expatscot »

Just starting to re-write my (and my wife's) CV for jobs so we're ready to start applying as soon as possible in August / September (I know it's early but there will be a lot of teachers moving on from my school as many came in at the same time, and want to make sure the head has no excuse for dithering over references!)

We both had other jobs before becoming teachers - me for 15 years, my wife for 10 - in fields completely unrelated to education (law and financial services.) This means that both CVs go over 2 pages long - in my case it can reach 4 or 5!

I want to get the CV as short as possible but still get the message across. That means leaving in the personal statement thing, and details of our teaching experience and qualification. But what about the other jobs? Could we just give a summary, or does every single one have to be spelt out?

Help!!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The difference in IE between a resume and a CV (Curriculum Vita) is that the CV has everything, its a professional life chronology, a resume is a piece of your CV thats focused on the field you are applying for.

You are wasting space on a personal statement, thats what your cover letter or intro email message is for (the same with 'objective').

The unrelated education experience is best aggregated into a single entry with a generic title, the dates, where (specifically where your licensed) and then a bullet point containing a general description, another bullet point of the firms/agencies.

Depending on a number of factors you will get at most 2 pages, and your first page needs to be worth turning to the second.
sid

Re: CV writing question (especially for any ex or current He

Post by sid »

The personal statement is a separate document.
If you're applying for a teaching post, the unrelated jobs are irrelevant, but need to be represented in some way. You can either group them together like "2001-2005: Series of full time positions in the legal field". Or list each one just briefly, employer, dates and job title only. One line each, no more. If you're putting in details about your responsibilities, you're wasting space and everyone's time. With either method, the school finds out what it needs to know, and if they want more, they can ask.
Under no circumstances should you go over one page, front and back.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

ISs rarely request personal statement when they request other essays, its usually a statement of teaching philosophy.

I generally agree with @sid, the outside education experience is usually irrelevant, but it may be relevant in a few applications, such as applying for a business studies economics vacancy and having a background in finance. An IS may give you some step credit for it.

The experience is worth posting to your resume, but as discussed previously its not worth more than one entry.
expatscot

Re: CV writing question (especially for any ex or current He

Post by expatscot »

Thanks folks. The personal statement thing I meant is just a short two or three sentences outlining teaching philosophy and thought rather than a long essay - I just couldn't remember what to call it!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

Teaching Philosophy is a separate document, its not something to include in a few sentences on a resume. It will waste valuable space on your resume and you wont convey anything meaningful in a few lines.