'Preps'

Thames Pirate

Re: 'Preps'

Post by Thames Pirate »

Psy, I think you misunderstood my point. I know scheduling is not easy, and not everyone gets what they want. However, there is a big difference between a school that does its best to accommodate and one that doesn't.

Our current school has to balance three campuses, multiple subjects, and multiple grades, so obviously nobody gets their ideal--but the schedule is as just and fair as the powers that be can make it, with consideration to campus and course requests, number of preps, team balance, prior years teaching specific courses, etc. for the optimal balance for all. That is good scheduling.

I have been at a bad school where the standard full time load was 39 contact hours per rotation. One teacher had two preps--both MYP--and 24 hours, while another had 42 hours, 5 preps, DP/IGCSE/MYP (same pay save a small overtime bonus for teacher 2). These were in the same department, so one of those sections could easily have been given from teacher 2 to teacher 1 as he had prep periods during all of the meeting times. This would have significantly leveled the workload (3 vs. 4 preps, 29 vs 37 hours), kept the school from paying teacher 2 OT, and would have had teacher 1 working closer to the full time for which he was actually paid. The reason it didn't happen? School just didn't pay attention or care. They also had 4 sections of 6th grade history--taught by FIVE different teachers (yes, one section was split between two teachers). THAT is bad scheduling, especially when it could have been avoided.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

I understood your point, your most recent post did an admirable job or qualifying and clarifying your previous post.