Valencia Venezuela

2468teacher

Valencia Venezuela

Post by 2468teacher »

I may have an offer in Valencia Venezuela.

I would love to hear from people who are living there, or who have lived their.

Its the usual dilema. Great school, great pay, BUT.... you are in Venezuela.

Any recent feedback would help, im in a bind.

Im single male, and can handle most things, but maybe the money is not worth it?

Thanks in advance.
mamava

Re: Valencia Venezuela

Post by mamava »

Have you see the news??!! Power cuts that limit almost the whole country to a 2 day work week and shortages everywhere...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A single guy with coin in Venezula, you could do a lot worse.
marieg0219

Post by marieg0219 »

I lived in Venezuela (not in Valencia but a similar-sized city) and my husband is also from Venezuela, so we go back often to visit.

The pros: You are a short drive away from truly incredible beaches. Travel within Venezuela is almost impossible without having the proper visas and access to currency, which you would have, so I see it as a great opportunity to travel a hidden gem of a country. You will have a relative amount of freedom in your school to teach how you like, and Venezuelan parents are generally supportive and grateful that you're there teaching their children. You will also be able to save a ton of money in dollars as the cost of living is quite low due to inflation of the local currency (the dollar is very strong... you can buy lunch for about $1 or $2).

The cons: You are in a country on the point of economic collapse. It works in your favour if you earn USD (which you would I think) and if you are not picky about having imported food or luxury items you can get by just fine. The news stories you see about people waiting in line for hours to get food are for the subsidised government grocery stores, but you will be able to afford to shop at a regular supermarket. You'll have all the produce you can imagine as well as other basics. The electricity blackouts are unavoidable but hopefully not permanent as the country runs on hydroelectric dams and rain should be coming soon....

Venezuela is an amazing country. I am so grateful for the time I lived there, even with blackouts, shortages, and government instability. You will be able to skate by most of this if you can stay cool under pressure and go in with an understanding that Venezuela is not a developed country and does not operate like one. Be patient and try to enjoy the experiences, even the crazy ones. I hope this helps!
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I'm teaching in Valencia, Venezuela now. I've been in Venezuela for about four and a half years now.The school is awesome, the kids are friendly, and the resources are pretty fantastic too.

Some days I never want to leave and other days there is no electricity for a few of hours, the water in your apartment doesn't work for half of the day, and your car just broke down for the fourth time in a month after being "fixed". When life gets too annoying inland, we just head out to a nice Caribbean beach that is only about an hours drive away.