edit

Jay_Jay

edit

Post by Jay_Jay »

edit edit
Last edited by Jay_Jay on Sat May 07, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muguet

Re: Teaching IB

Post by muguet »

MYP or DP?

You can start by reading the guides for each subject, which you can usually find on google if you don't have an IB logon yet. But surely they will be sending you to training right?
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

If you are teaching MYP, this will be fine. As someone stated - read the quides and make sure you complete one of the PD's for MYP Science.

However, if you are teaching DP Biology, Physics and Chemistry I feel very sorry for you. The classes might be small but you will have 6 preps instead of 3 (that't taking into consideration that you only teach 1 grade level). DP has two main levels - Standard Level and Higher Level. The HL option is quite challenging and most Science teachers do not have the base knowledge to teach all 3 at higher level.
Jay_Jay

edit

Post by Jay_Jay »

edit edit
Last edited by Jay_Jay on Sat May 07, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay_Jay

edit

Post by Jay_Jay »

edit edit
Last edited by Jay_Jay on Sat May 07, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muguet

Post by muguet »

Well, it's not so bad with just one SL student. I have found that the time some teachers allot for review in DP is sometimes overkill and I need to spend more time teaching it the first time around than is allotted on their calendars-- just find what works for you. The one thing I would definitely alert you to as you are planning a year-long calendar is the IA (internal assessment). Depending on your student population you will probably need to have piecemeal deadlines/checkpoints to make sure you have what you need to turn in to the IB by that point in the year. I've heard some teachers have students do it all outside of class, but I think that's really contrary to what the IB intends for it to be (and would definitely not work for my students).
Jay_Jay

edit

Post by Jay_Jay »

edit edit
Last edited by Jay_Jay on Sat May 07, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muguet

Post by muguet »

Become familiar with the assessment criteria early on and use them to structure your assignments and formative assessments. This will help you and your students become comfortable with the language and expectations.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Still feel sorry for you, thats a lot of preps, even if its all HL the difference is contact time between SL and HL. I imagine your one SL student isnt going to have any significantly different experience than any of the HL students in terms of prep and instructional time.

As far as review time it depends who you heard it from, if its the outgoing IT, they probably know their students and what they need, and 1 week of presentation 2 weeks of review isnt unrealistic.

Bio isnt any more theory than chem or phys, it really depends on your IS and its resources. Bio can be a lot more practicum than Phys is. The real difference is that: 1) Many international students get a lot of life science exposure in lower secondary and they come better prepared for Bio than they do Phys or Chem. 2) Most ISs have limits on access to lab resources and a small IS is likely only to have one chem lab, so the hands on/practicum type of classroom experience is going to be saved and seen for DIP upper secondary chem where the students and the IS have to provide them as part of the prescribed curriculum. You just cant do a lot of chem outside kitchen chemistry, measurement or demos without appropriate lab space.

IA isnt anymore difficult than it is in NCs, it just takes more long term planing. While the IB has a preference, with doing the entire ISs science DIP program, I would task students to do it outside of class instruction time and run a "project" ASP during the week for class students and those doing a science/laboratory based essay.

The DP guides are of course helpful to make sure your lessons hit all the assessment marks but they arent going to give you more than content objectives and scope and sequence.

IB training especially level 1 workshops are generally considered horrible to western trained ITs/DTS, they are more directed towards ITs that come from education cultures that are more drill & kill/chalk & talk ITs who are still focused on direct teach rote memorization.