Applying to British Curriculum w/ US background

coin_operated

Re: Applying to British Curriculum w/ US background

Post by coin_operated »

Chances are, 2nd tier British schools in high demand areas won't mind hiring Americans with teaching certs and experience. However, due to national educational policy changes in the UK more and more British teachers are getting fed up and working abroad. At the end of the day, a school is reasonable to hire the candidate with curriculum experience over the one without, assuming all other factors are the same. Curriculum knowledge as a qualification is a vicious cycle: schools don't really want to hire someone without curriculum experience, but you can't get curriculum experience without being hired. Less popular schools in less popular locations are more likely to bend this rule.

If you've been browsing the websites of British international schools, you'll probably notice that many run dual curricula, usually IGCSEs in the first half of upper secondary school and IB Diplomas for the second half. As a result, having IB experience could make you look more attractive to many British international schools.
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

Not really sure Traveller's ideas about British teachers are helpful to this site, nor to this topic which was apparently about curriculum, rather than an attempt for those with an axe to grind to rant about a whole nation's teachers and profession. As a teacher I try to consider the merits of both students and fellow teachers as individuals, rather than lumping them together as one nationality. Having worked at both British and American schools, I have not considered either to be representative of all teachers or all schools relating to that country. That seems to be beyond his or her capability that's a shame for them. We can all pick random anecdotes about negative dealings with people from a particularly country or ethnicity and make random, stereotypical generalizations, but is that really desirable?

There are both good, great, and awful American and British teachers, or Australian, Canadian, South African or indeed local hires. I'm sure most on here have met examples of all.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

First of all, let's make one thing absolutely clear. What is taught abroad is not the British Curriculum - there is no such thing. It is the ENGLISH National Curriculum - of which Wales and Northern Ireland use parts, but not all, and Scotland has something completely and utterly different (Curriculum for Excellence.)

Secondly, shouting at pupils is certainly NOT standard in UK schools. In fact, as a recently trained teacher in Scotland, we were specifically taught not to do that. It may well be that teachers who take this approach have actually been leaned on to leave the UK system and teach abroad because in OFSTED or HMIe inspections they have been found out. The real problems come later on when in secondary pupils who have been accustomed to being screamed and bawled at in primary cannot, or do not know how to, react when that doesn't happen.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

Yes, and its not an "American" Curriculum, there is no such thing each state and territory has their own curriculum, but its American enough for IE purposes. USNC and UKNC are a lot easier to write and lastly of all the ISs using the "English" NC they mostly have "British" in their name.
expatscot

Re: Reply

Post by expatscot »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @expatscot
>
> Yes, and its not an "American" Curriculum, there is no such thing
> each state and territory has their own curriculum, but its American enough
> for IE purposes. USNC and UKNC are a lot easier to write and lastly of all
> the ISs using the "English" NC they mostly have
> "British" in their name.

It's just the mini-Scottish Nationalist in me getting out! (but no, I don't vote for them...)
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

I suppose you can take the Scotsman out of Scotland but not Scotland out of a Scotsman.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

MartElla wrote: "Not really sure Traveller's ideas about British teachers are helpful to this site, nor to this topic which was apparently about curriculum,.."

This is a bit like shooting the messenger. Read shadowjack's comments about his/her experience in a UK school, never mind a British international school. A friend worked at a British school in West Africa, and left because of the shouting by management. Look, I recognize that it happens in many places and teachers from a range of nationalities shout at students. That really isn't the issue. The issue here is that the ethos in British schools seems different to that in American schools and philosophically the systems, methodology and approach is different. To say my ideas aren't helpful to this site because I've shared my experience and what I've heard from colleagues runs counter to the whole purpose of this site. Twoteachers, who started this thread, said they were American and wanted to know if or how they could get into a British Curriculum school. I've worked with good and bad teachers from both countries, and I've worked in US and UK schools, the ethos is different.

Perhaps you'd like to comment on the news report on Sky by the education authorities that some teachers were trying to sabotage and undermine the SATs tests? Or why parents of 5 & 6 year old children were threatening to pull their children out of school to prevent them writing national tests.

Shadowjack wrote: "However, as I have posted elsewhere, Twoteachers, the UK system is all about predicted grades and tests. Students will come to you in KS 2 or 3 or 4 with predicted grades. Woe betide you if they don't meet them! Best for you that they exceed them, as you become 'value added'. This is not a comment on the quality of the teachers in the UK, its a comment on the approach, mindset, ethos, philosophy, and what is valued in British education. If this is not true then say so, otherwise you have to recognize that an American teacher, like twoteachers, could end up in a situation that they hate and feel trapped in. I understand that you may not recognize that the UK system could be a problem for American teachers, at least let someone else share the good news.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Traveller1 wrote:
the ethos in British schools seems different to that in American schools and philosophically the systems, methodology and approach is different.

Yes - I would agree. It has also got worse in recent years do to the changes brought about in England since 2010 - most of which were in the teeth of British teachers.

Traveller1 wrote:
Perhaps you'd like to comment on the news report on Sky by the education authorities that some teachers were trying to sabotage and undermine the SATs tests? Or why parents of 5 & 6 year old children were threatening to pull their children out of school to prevent them writing national tests.

This is true. Although I have also heard of similar stuff going on in the US over common core, and the PYP where it has been introduced.

Traveller1 wrote:
Shadowjack wrote: "However, as I have posted elsewhere, Twoteachers, the UK system is all about predicted grades and tests. Students will come to you in KS 2 or 3 or 4 with predicted grades. Woe betide you if they don't meet them! Best for you that they exceed them, as you become 'value added'. This is not a comment on the quality of the teachers in the UK, its a comment on the approach, mindset, ethos, philosophy, and what is valued in British education. If this is not true then say so,

It is what is valued at the moment by the powers that be in England. (Scotland and Wales have their own systems, and are largely rejecting this kind of nonsense.) Does it suit the mindset and philosophy of British teachers? No, which is one of the reasons why so many are fleeing the UK at the moment. UK schools overseas do not have to implement all this kind of thing, and there are plenty of independent and international British schools that have a more holistic view of education.

Incidentally I am glad to see that you have dropped the claims about shouting, bell curves and wedges.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

First, we need to differentiate between DE/DS from IE/IS. The experience of working in a maintained DS in England is like most comparisons of maintained/public DSs very different from independent/private DSs.
I agree that the ethos can be different but looking at BS ISs and AS ISs, FSs, and EUSs its little more than variations of quality in what is a highly homogenized experience. Unless someone told you you probably couldnt tell the difference between any of them based on typical observations. Many overseas BSs do not look much like maintained DSs in England. The same is true of ASs .

Second, I dont see a lot of variations in approaches to Meds/Peds, most Uni professors/tutors havent been inside a K12/KS classroom in decades. You would see yelling at students in the all in some regions of the US and in some regions of the UK, just as you would see various degrees of inquiry and student centered practices as well as direct teach/lecture practices.

Third, I agree with @shadylane, parent rebellion regarding assessment is true at many levels regardless of curriculum.
Standardized and high stakes testing is becoming more and more the priority in big national education systems. GCSEs are becoming all about the testing marks and less about the coursework. The same is true of a lot of national curriculum.

Fourth, Predicted grades is much more an issue at upper secondary, why because a lot of stake holders want valid and reliable data, and they have a need to explain deviations. Again, this is true in lots of education systems and curriculum, especially in maintained/public education. Accountability is popular everywhere.