Experienced teacher wanting to start working internationally

Oxalis

Experienced teacher wanting to start working internationally

Post by Oxalis »

Hi ISR forum folks,

I am looking for any advice anyone is willing to share about getting into international teaching.

I have/am...

-late 30s female, no dependents, never married
-13 years experience teaching, mostly in middle school science, some leadership/PD leadership experience
-BA in physics and an MAT in education
-taught high school physics (not AP)/physical science over decade ago, but have been teaching middle school science for 11 years
-certified in middle and high school physics.
-also certified in chemistry, biology certification, but those are not my areas of expertise or experience
-math certified too, but my state says algebra and below, unless I pay more money and wait more time (6+ months) to test and add advanced math. I would be absolutely fine with teaching any level of math.
-I have taught in poor, domestic, public schools, so I wasn't teaching AP or IB because they simply were not offered. However, I do have quite a bit of experience teaching language learners from many parts of the world.

I know the hiring season is pretty much in winter. However, I didn't make any attempt to find a job for 2016-17 because I had family responsibilities that ended when a relative recently passed away. I just started updating my CV. I have a job right now, but I am eager to try something new, if the right position comes up. However, the reviews on the paid part of this site give me pause in many cases. I'm also don't want to work in most of the Middle East or super-polluted areas of China. Generally I'm open to places because I don't have EU citizenship or experience with the British school system or anything that seems required for most positions.

Questions:

-Is it advisable to wait another school year for more opportunities/better schools? Is it a bad career move to settle on a not great school because I am looking last minute?
-What regions/countries are good places to work/live?
-If I have high-demand (I'm assuming) certifications, is an agency worth it? I realize my lack of IB/international teaching experience is a problem. I have had friends recommend Search.
-What other advice are people willing to share to someone in my position who is wanting to start out?

Thanks so much in advance. I have been reading posts here and it really makes me want to move abroad.
shadowjack

Re: Experienced teacher wanting to start working internation

Post by shadowjack »

Oxalis,

if you want the best opportunities, stick around, do your math certification to teach HS math which should include calculus.

Then, for next year, see if there is a chem/physics job in your district you can port over to.

Those two positions - senior math including calculus, and chem/physics, are the positions that will open more doors than MS Science.

Then again, MS science might be the way in and then advance to HS - HOWEVER, good schools will want to make sure they have someone with current experience doing the senior classes.

So - apply far and wide, take the best that comes along, get your two years in and start moving up.

Good luck!
Oxalis

Re: Experienced teacher wanting to start working internation

Post by Oxalis »

Thanks for the advice, Shado.