Resume Set-up

bing1980

Resume Set-up

Post by bing1980 »

Hey everyone,

I'm updating my resume and wanted to see what the general resume set-up is out there.

My general set-up is

-Objective
-Teaching Experience
-Education
-?
-References

In between education and references is where I'm unsure what to add or take-out. A couple things I'm considering are

Profile of skills - ex, technology use, certifications
Coaching/Clubs -
Volunteering -

Any ideas or recommendations are welcome

Thanks
esther434

Re: Resume Set-up

Post by esther434 »

I suggest you google it, as I did. I spent weeks researching different styles and layouts. It all depending on what you want to highlight or not. Also, you can look at the format that is used on Linkedin.

You might like to start with footprintsrecruiting.com. Here is their list:
Full Name
Address
Contact Information
Date of Birth
Nationality
Objective
Education History
Relevant Coursework and Certifications
Relevant Work Experience
Work Experience
Volunteer Experience
International Experience
Awards, Merits, Certifications
Hobbies and Interests

Best of luck and Saludos.
Last edited by esther434 on Mon May 02, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I would argue to put your skills above your educational experience/history. Why? Because they can see the extras you bring to the school without having to flip the pages. Often it is the unique skill set that sets the candidate apart from the rest - many candidates are equally solid or good teachers.

Just my two halalas,

shad
bing1980

Post by bing1980 »

Thanks,

I have been googling, just thought I'd get a second opinion on here.

shadowjack, that's what I was thinking!

Thanks again.
chanidee

Post by chanidee »

I like the "teacher resume" set up.

section 1: name, contact info

section 2: teaching subject area (elementary education teacher, special education teacher, geography teacher, etc)
that "heading" is followed by a short almost vision statement

section 3: qualifications summary so basically all your special skills, curriculum expertise, etc

section 4: education and certifications

section 5: related job history
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Shadowjack:

What would you consider skills to put on there? Technology? Workshops? Specific teaching such as Reading and Writing Workshop?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Skills - comp skills, coaching skills, organizational skills, anything you have done that will make you stand out - taking athletes to state championships, winning league championships, etc.

If you have specific training, such as national coaching, Writing Workshops, CRISS instructor, etc, red cross trainer, etc then put them in there as well. The objective is to showcase you outside the classroom in a constructive fashion. Everybody teachers classes, designs dynamic lesson plans, mentors students, etc etc.

Just my thoughts,

shad
bing1980

Post by bing1980 »

Shadowjack, thanks for the tips.
creativeteacher

Post by creativeteacher »

Shadowjack:

Question regarding negotiating contract prior to Masters completion.

I am completing a program which ends in June (next year) but the fairs start in January. So, if I am negotiating in Jan/Feb, can I do so based on what I should receive with a Master's? Obviously the job will start in August, how will this affect negotiations, in your opinion? Any feedback you could provide would be most helpful. Would it be easier to PM? Thank you very much for your time.

shadowjack wrote:
> Skills - comp skills, coaching skills, organizational skills, anything you
> have done that will make you stand out - taking athletes to state
> championships, winning league championships, etc.
>
> If you have specific training, such as national coaching, Writing
> Workshops, CRISS instructor, etc, red cross trainer, etc then put them in
> there as well. The objective is to showcase you outside the classroom in a
> constructive fashion. Everybody teachers classes, designs dynamic lesson
> plans, mentors students, etc etc.
>
> Just my thoughts,
>
> shad
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Creativeteacher,

any school worth its salt will upgrade you in August when you present your degree, or statement that you have been awarded the degree. They likely will NOT give you it upon your sayso in an interview (what if for some reason unrelated you do NOT get the degree?).

When I received my masters my school automatically updated me - and backpaid me to the time I had finished my program. I would not want to be at a school that told me (after finishing my masters in June) that I would be bumped up August of the next year (14 months later).

It would certainly tell you something about the school though!

Just my two halalas,

shad
creativeteacher

Post by creativeteacher »

shadowjack wrote:
> Creativeteacher,
>
> any school worth its salt will upgrade you in August when you present your
> degree, or statement that you have been awarded the degree. They likely
> will NOT give you it upon your sayso in an interview (what if for some
> reason unrelated you do NOT get the degree?).
>
> When I received my masters my school automatically updated me - and
> backpaid me to the time I had finished my program. I would not want to be
> at a school that told me (after finishing my masters in June) that I would
> be bumped up August of the next year (14 months later).
>
> It would certainly tell you something about the school though!
>
> Just my two halalas,
>
> shad

Thanks so much for the info, I kind of thought that was the case and it would make the selection process easier for choosing and eliminating schools, or once you have been in the game for a while the schools eliminate themselves. Question regarding spouse getting their degree. How did you do you from abroad? Were you still considered a local? I've looked into Athabasca Uni but costs vary b/c of not being a resident. Any programs which you might recommend would be greatly appreciated. Simply looking to become a 'coveted' teaching couple.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I did my masters through a Canadian university. As a Canadian citizen, I received Canadian tuition. If Athabaska Uni is trying to tell you they must charge you extra because you are not a resident, you might want to indicate their legal position. When our overseas kids return to Canada to uni, tuition is based on passport, not on residency.

However, if your wife already has a degree and is looking to get certified, I would recommend Teach Now out of Washington DC. You need to find a school that would allow her to do her practicum teaching at the school (and ideally one that also has a need for teachers who might be inclined to hire her after she is done). Another program is Teacher REady out of Florida - but you need to be a US citizen. Lakehead U out of Thunder Bay used to offer a 1 year certification for those with degrees, but it is now a 2 year program.

If you are not planning to teach in Canada again, you could also do something like The College of New Jersey's Global Program (courses in Taiwan, Thailand, Spain, Portugal, and South Africa).

Good luck!