List of Int. schools who pay into American Social Security

global_nomad

List of Int. schools who pay into American Social Security

Post by global_nomad »

Hi all,

I hope this topic won't be considered as "evaluative-type information" but I'd like to compile a list of international schools who pay into American Social Security. Many of us from the USA have worked mostly outside the US and need to accumulate 40 quarter to be vested in SS and Medicare. Here are some schools that either currently pay into USA Social Security or did in the past (so might be dated). Please feel free to add to the list if you know of other schools who pay into American Social Security or know that one of the schools below stopped paying into the program.

1. Taipei American School, Taipei, Taiwan

2. American Nicaraguan School, Managua, Nicaragua

3. International School of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya

4. Istanbul International Community School, Istanbul, Turkey

5. International College of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon

6. American Overseas School of Rome, Rome, Italy

7. American Community School, Beirut, Lebanon
sid

Re: List of Int. schools who pay into American Social Securi

Post by sid »

I'm really surprised to hear that schools are paying in. I thought you had to be working in the US or for a USbased company to be eligible for your employer to pay in. Or something. Live and learn.

I do know that you can self report any consultant type earnings, and pay SS tax on it. That could help you get some extra quarters if needed. Stuff like workshop leader pay, DP examiner, online teaching if you're not already paying SS on that, even tutoring I suppose. A finance guy should be able to advise you how to do it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

Not really, all of those ISs have a DOS connection or some other US based NPO that allows them to contribute to Social Security. You dont need to have "extra" work, you can individually choose to pay Social Security self employment tax as an independent contractor, its a flat 15%, which is kind of pricey (its both halves of the employer and employee contributions).
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Thanks for posting this. I need to do a stint at one of these schools if I'm going to hit 40 quarters. I could be wrong on this but I've heard in the past that SAS (Singapore) also pays into SS. Tough place to break into though.

Do any of the international schools in Japan contribute to SS?
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

Sid- This is how I understand it: In order for US citizens overseas to contribute to US Social Security and Medicare, they must be employed by a US entity. Schools that wish to do this will create a US foundation [a 501(c)(3)] and their US employees will have a contract with the US foundation and be seconded to the school. In this way the employees can contribute to US Social Security and Medicare. Keep in mind that the foundation is also required to contribute a matching amount to both US Social Security and Medicare. ISS (International Schools Services) does this for many schools and they also manage their foundation for them.

Those international school teachers (like me) who have not contributed to US Social Security and Medicare for the 40 minimum quarters would need to top up our quarters to be eligible to draw on these benefits when we retire. Many of us are not concerned so much with Social Security, as we have taken steps individually to secure our financial future (although any extra cash in retirement helps!). Many are more concerned with the remarkably high cost of health insurance and medical care in the US and would feel more confident handling retirement with Medicare. I'm surprised that the international schools who do pay into SS and Medicare don't market this more when recruiting.
sid

Post by sid »

I don't think I'll ever make it to 40 quarters. I'm less than halfway there. A few years back I investigated the consulting top up route, but ROI just worked out better if I invest rather than pay tax.
But I do have good memories. I worked at one of the schools on your list, and while we didn't have SS contributions, we did have an ex priest cohabiting with the director, and said ex priest fleeing the scene overnight when he was found to have been doctoring the grades of his favorite students. Ahh, good times.
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

American Community School of Amman, Jordan also pays in to SS.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@global_nomad

Most ITs in the states have state defined pensions they havent earned much in the way of SS credits, and many of them arent interested in retiring out of or putting in the time at the ISs (exception for Rome) that do have such a scheme.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

WBAIS Israel
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Schutz American School in Alexandria, Egypt.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

Updated List of International Schools that pay FICA for those Americans interested (Some of these are by "word of mouth" so please let me know if inaccurate):

1. Taipei American School, Taipei, Taiwan

2. American Nicaraguan School, Managua, Nicaragua

3. International School of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya

4. Istanbul International Community School, Istanbul, Turkey

5. International College of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon

6. American Overseas School of Rome, Rome, Italy

7. American Community School, Beirut, Lebanon

8. American Community School of Amman, Jordan

9. WBAIS Israel

10. Schutz American School in Alexandria, Egypt.

11. International School of Islamabad
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Also, American Embassy School, New Delhi, India
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Just thought I'd revive this thread as I'm sure some people are preparing to get reactivated on Search or elsewhere for recruitment for the 2019-20 school year.

Not all schools that pay into US SS advertise it as a benefit, so for those who are interested it would be good to have an updated list - any schools to add? I need to do a 3 year stint at one of these schools to hit 40 credits.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@buffalofan

Its not a benefit for all ITs, a UK IT is going to benefit zero from US SS, and what that advertises is that Brits get less comp than Americans, and if UK ITs know that going in to an interview then the recruiter has to spin it somehow that doesnt involve shrugging shoulders. Its better when you have selective benefits for a recruiter to address them only in those scenarios where it is an advantage to do so.

Even in those scenarios where the IT applicant is an American, you find a lot of US DTs/ITs that had state pension schemes and are so far behind on SS that they would ahve to work for the IS (or another SS contributor) for years and years, and then the IS has to either pay double to make the ITs contributions or convince them that making those contributions themselves is somehow going to pay back to them or be worth something.
Greer41

Post by Greer41 »

Riffa Views International School - Bahrain