No job!

MartElla

Re: No job!

Post by MartElla »

Prime recruiting season is pretty much gone by the time the big fairs (Bangkok, London, Boston) have finished. That was months ago. You missed the boat for most jobs.

It doesn't mean that there aren't still jobs around. However, most if not all Tier 1 schools will have wrapped up all recruiting months ago, except for last minute things cropping up.
bounty

Post by bounty »

Thanks for the advice ; it was all very useful. I have a job in a good school in Egypt now. It was not the number one destination (with planes falling out of the sky etc) but I think I will enjoy it. And as others have commented, you sometimes need to broaden your horizons and take a job in a less popular place on the international scene. It can be a competitive market.

I seems landing a job in a top International Schools relies on a bit of luck as well as experience in knowing the game/timing of top jobs. And learn how to smile in 5am skype interviews!!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@bounty

At least you didnt have a captain underpants at those 5am interviews.
bounty

Post by bounty »

@psyguy

ha ha.

No, I did consider wearing underpants for a interview (with a suited upper body of course!) as I needed to turn off AC and fans due to the noise. I just decided to sweat it out.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@bounty

Its really just a bias standard. Im sure if a male recruiter was conducting an interview with a female lingerie model and there was a captain underpants event, the candidate would be offered a contract.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I once heard of a principal doing a phone interview completely naked because it was so hot where she was. I had a short notice phone interview that I did in my pyjamas once. Part of the IE experience if you ask me. Congrats on the job!
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

I did a Skype interview in a shirt and tie, pyjama trousers and slippers at 8am on a Saturday morning. Got the job though!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Clothing isnt an issue for a Phone (audio) interview, I was referring to a video interview.

@expatscot

I dont wear slacks or trousers when doing video interviews. What Id really like is some type of Skype Filter that would put a shirt, tie, jacket and I could wear a T-shirt.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I know; I was just sharing an amusing anecdote. Not everything needs to be an argument.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Its arguable whether your anecdote is amusing.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Oh, for crying out loud! You don't have to attack everything I say! Give it a rest. If you don't find it funny, ignore it and move on.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

I dont attack everything you write, only 1) The material that is wrong and 2) The material I disagree with.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Well, since this was neither wrong (both were true anecdotes) nor an opinion (again, both were true anecdotes) . . . .
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

It is very much your opinion that you are amusing, which based on the evidence of your anecdote, I disagree with.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

For starters, I never said I was amusing. I just found the anecdote cute and posted it because I thought others might agree. Certainly you are entitled to consider it boring and even post to that effect, but you instead made it about me personally ("you are not funny") rather than about the anecdote--which, if people didn't find amusing, they ignored as most normal people would. Do you always make a scene when someone posts a stupid meme? This is about your not liking me ever since the ISS/Search thread and attacking almost every time I post.

This is inane. Feel free to attack for the sake of arguing if it makes you feel like your life has a purpose.