When can I ask my principal for a letter of recommendation?

marieg0219

When can I ask my principal for a letter of recommendation?

Post by marieg0219 »

Hi fellow teachers,

My husband and I decided that next school year will be our last in our current school. I began making a Search profile hoping that I could work on it over the summer, but I see that we need the 3 letters of recommendation to activate our profile. Is May too soon to ask for a letter?
sid

Re: When can I ask my principal for a letter of recommendati

Post by sid »

Ask whenever you want. Jobs will be posted over the summer, and you might be able to lock one in if your file is complete.
If you're really asking when to tell your boss that you're leaving, that's a little different. I'd recommend a soft approach, as in "I'm looking around and considering my options. I haven't decided yet whether to stay on. Your letter will help me keep my options open for now, and to feel good about my decision when I make it. I promise to keep you in the loop along the way, and give you timely notice when I decide."
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

May is not too early, but you can ask whenever you want. Many ITs will ask when they submit their notice of intent. Be sure you are complying with your ISs policy and your contract.