Getting Documents Attested

neehow

Getting Documents Attested

Post by neehow »

I am trying to get academic transcripts attested at State Department. They were sent close to one month ago and I have yet to hear back from office of Authentication. As I am overseas the only time I can try to contact Washington DC is 11 pm - 1 am my time (12 hours time difference) and I'm often on hold for close to 45 minutes. A family member back in US is my mailing address. Has anyone else gone through the same thing? I still need to get document given consulate seal (Middle East - KW) and then sent to school after receiving transcript and diploma back. Suggestions??
rake

Re: Getting Documents Attested

Post by rake »

Sounds familiar. The State Department authentication can take a long time (think 8 - 10 weeks). If they have your documents, there isn't really a way to speed them up. I've heard some have had a much easier time physically going to the authentication office in DC and having their documents processed while they wait. Your KW school may also call on your behalf if all of the paperwork for their hires is stalled; that may move you to the top of the pile. The good news is you have started your paperwork early and the KW consulate can turn things around quickly (think 3-5 days) and you will get your authenticated stuff back from DC with plenty of time for the consulate to process it.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Generally you want to use the state level secretary of state and not the US DOS. Authentications are done by comparing the signature of the notary or the state officer with an exemplar kept on file. The US DOS does not have many of those exemplars, as they only have federal national level exemplars, federal judges, employees of the executive and congressional offices, some armed services. The only exemplars they have at the state level are the SOS and governor. The typical process is document notarized, and authenticated (apostiled in the case of Hague signees) by the state SOS, then sent to US DOS for a second authentication (apostile) if required.

Assuming your transcripts are processed a few months for a wait is normal processing time. You can get it done in person on the same day or use a service provider (these are third . companies that you send your documents too and they self present on your behalf. Fees are high though and your often still looking at a few weeks turn around unless you pay the VIP rate, and use an over night courier, could easily cost you several thousand. There is one such business that provides 24 hour international turn around from the time they receive your documents, there are some stipulations/limits but its around USD$10K).