Schools with many sections of Economics in the HS?

HereThereEverywhere

Schools with many sections of Economics in the HS?

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

A fellow teacher and I were talking about which schools in the international circuit had more than 5 sections of economics in their school. We only came up with 3 schools; American School Mumbai, IS Beijing, FDR(peru). I appeal to the masses, are there other schools out there that have 5 or more sections of Economics? AP/IB/IGCSE/whatever.
shadowjack

Re: Schools with many sections of Economics in the HS?

Post by shadowjack »

I would imagine SAS and SAS (bot campuses combined), UWCSEA would also be similar.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Thanks Shadow, Yeah, I'm familiar with SAS and I think you are right there. Not familiar with the UWC, but will have a look to confirm. There has got to be more though. Unfortunately/fortunately econ is a pretty popular topic in much of Asia and in some other pocket of the world.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Are you trying to find a place where one teacher would teach all the sections of economics?

My school has had more than 5 sections between 1st and 2nd year IB economics when you include standard level and high level, and it's not one of the schools that was mentioned. However, it's not just one teacher who teaches all of them. The economics teachers also teach other classes in social science and/or ToK.

There might be schools where Business and Management is taught in addition to Economics. I could see that adding up to a full schedule.

Eion
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

Last year Cairo American College had 6 sections of both years one and two. We combine SL and HL so we would have two more if the sections were organized in that manner. Next year our year ones will be four sections. We would offer 5 or more if our students body was bigger.

Jeff
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Lots of schools have 4 (2 grade 11s and 2 12s) and then business studies.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

ISs that are non-IB have even fewer as Economics is generally a one year course.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Even where it was a one year course, our domestic IS had at least 5, and some years as many as 7. I would imagine there are a lot of schools with numerous sections.