Teaching South American Students

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

If I could get Swiss coin in Brazil (Sao Paulo) and have to do little more than show up and give out 6s I might be tempted enough to do that.
chilagringa

Re: Teaching South American Students

Post by chilagringa »

Well, I still like teaching and doing a good job...

BUT the workload where I am is manageable enough that I can do a great job without driving myself nuts.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

Yes, I agree that the lifestyle in Latin America has a lot of advantages. Here are some from my perspective:

- Most Latinos are full of life, kind, and anything but boring.
- The weather (there are some exceptions in the high altitude areas) is usually pleasing if you like a warmer climate.
- If you are single, both males and females can more easily date/make friends outside the "gringo bubble" of the international school environment.
- Spanish/Portuguese are easier for English-speakers to learn (for most).
- It''s a bit closer to home for North Americans (and in a similar time zone), which is pretty convenient if you have to get home quick.
- These schools tend to have lower work expectations for teachers. I was amazed when people would show 2 minutes before the first bell and then walk out with the students (with Admin. right behind them!). So the work/life balance is much better if you want to put in the minimum.

Some disadvantages:

- Schools, in general, pay much less than Asia, Middle East, and some in Africa and Europe.
- You have MAYBE 10 (liberally) decent schools in all of Latin America if you want a good lifestyle, savings opportunities, and a halfway functioning school (although I am amazed at what some really good teachers settle for just because they are desperate to work internationally.).
- Administration tends to be lower standard than other parts of the world.
- High percentage of schools have a local student dominant population with alumni parents.
- As a teacher you are not treated with the same amount of respect as you would at Tier 1 school in other parts of the world. Admin. (and local parents) attitude is, "Hey, if you don't like it here (or don't want to do what I want without backtalk), maybe you're not a good fit here. There are 50 more teachers who will take your place." Basically, they want you to shut up and do your job. BUT if you can do that with a smile, it's cake.
- Resistant to change. Even if the school has programs that are obsolete, don't make sense or aren't in the best interest of student learning, good luck trying to cull or even reform. Admin will justify by calling it a "cherished tradition" of the school and long-time parents and local hires will label you "culturally insensitive."
- Disconnection and bad communication school-wide: Human Resources tend to be unorganized and inefficient, Business office will make unilateral decisions about important things effecting pay and benefits but not communicate with teachers, one level of the school will have an important event but not inform the other levels, etc. etc.

Overall, I think working in Latin America should not be missed, however, it's much better to have your Latin American experience really early in your career or as a last posting where money is not an issue. The teachers who struggle the most in LA schools, from my experience, are teachers who have worked at Tier 1s in places like Asia or Europe and are used to well-functioning schools with supportive Admin (who are not top-down), supportive Human Resources and Business Depts., parents who let you do your job, and colleagues who are more professional.
marina

Post by marina »

Working here opens one's eyes to the horrors of Jeitinho and makes one yearn for orderly societies where things get done and get done well. Brazilian students, oh my, I will bite my tongue on what I really think until I am out of the country...
mamava

Post by mamava »

I have to disagree about Brazil. I work in a school that expects a good deal of work from us as teachers. Our administration is supportive of us as teachers. Compared to other countries I've worked in, Brazilian students are talkatiave and social relationships (with each other, with parents, and between parents/students/teachers) are very important. To underestimate the importance of a personal friendly relationship with the students is to ask for trouble. Many parents are wealthy (as they were in all the other places I've worked, including the US) and sometimes that does comes with a stronger sense of "I want what I want." There are people like that everywhere.

My husband and I are both experienced teachers who have worked in elite Asian schools and the ME--so both ends of the spectrum in terms of pressure and personalities--and we have found our place in Brazil to be a really good place to work and to grow professionally.