Egypt and Repatriation Policies/Compensation

senator

Egypt and Repatriation Policies/Compensation

Post by senator »

Would anyone consider teaching there now?

What is the repatriation policy/benefits if the school closes due to political unrest?

What about most repatriation packages in any countries/schools?
expatscot

Re: Egypt and Repatriation Policies/Compensation

Post by expatscot »

I can only speak for the school I'm in. Firstly, let's be clear - it is safe here. Yes, there are incidents as happened yesterday, and they will spark protests. But on the whole, they don't usually come near where the foreigners are so it's fine - my daughter and her friends go to restaurants and coffee shops near where that happened, and I'm happy enough to continue to let her do that.

In 2011, our school evacuated all staff to Sharm El Sheikh, along with a lot of others. Some staff were able to return home, while others stayed and enjoyed their time at the beach! (Sharm wasn't affected by the revolution.) Our contract allows for a certain amount of salary to be paid and a ticket home in the event of an emergency, but ultimately the school will want staff to return when it is possible so - based on 2011 - would probably exceed that if it was able to, but if you then chose to stay in your home country you wouldn't be breaking contract.

As I said, personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I feel safer here than I did at times living in London or Glasgow.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

Don't go to Egypt. The country is desolate and unwelcoming. The people are generally rude, entitled and hostile. They will lie to your face and say whatever is the easiest answer, and then do something completely different. My partner has been basically locked away at home because every time she goes out to do something she is heckled, harassed and grabbed at. Students run the schools and admin are vicious in their treatment of staff.

People say it is safe here, and if you go by who is targeted, then yes, teachers generally are safe. However, it feels like just an illusion of safety. The housing compounds are all gated with security, but 95% of the time those gates are just left wide open as security play cards or smoke cigarettes. Shopping centres have manned metal detectors but people just stroll in and out through them, with the machines going off, and no-one cares or checks them. Trust me, if anyone wanted to attack a school or a residential compound where foreigners live or anything like that, they would have absolutely no problem doing so.

I have hated this last year in Egypt. I am leaving and never looking back. I really, really encourage you to avoid this. You're often posting around these forums and I would imagine you can find other jobs.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt teach in Egypt, but I wouldnt have taught in Egypt in the past before the recent "crises". I visited Egypt, and have nothing good to say about it other than my usual position about the ME being a poo-hole (as a major contributor Im sure your familiar with it, and dont want to use your post as a soap box for another triad). If you have a keen interest in ancient history than its certainly worth a visit to see the sites, and tour the pyramids, etc. nothing more.

Of the ISs that have a formal repatriation policy (and many do not), its typically 1-3 months salary (two is typical), and return flights. Of the ISs that have an informal policy, its typically return flights and whatever the local/regional labor law requires when dismissing employees without advance notice. There are ISs that provide nothing and leave the issue of repatriation up to the individual embassies in terms of emergency evacuation.

You may be breaking contract, it depends what the ISs position is and if you depart on your own accord and if the IS ceases operation and for how long. There have been ISs that closed and reopened a short time later and expected all staff and faculty to return. Those that left were considered abandoning their contract. The premium agencies generally did not sanction those ITs but it was reflected in the reference.

@s0830887

I would strongly advise moving any discussion to the members forum, and either post directly in that forum or use the PM function available in the member forum. I wouldnt advise even posting initials of an IS.
As an alternative you could disclose your email address either in your profile (this requires logging in to view so is not available to robots, etc. or exchanging/publishing email in the open forums. I would then remove by deleting or editing your email to remove it from the message. If you require further assistance on how to do this please feel free to ask.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Response

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
"I visited Egypt"
-----------------------
Is that what you are now calling your very short stay in the Land of the Pharaohs? LOL.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Yes
senator

Post by senator »

Thanks, all.

No, I do not plan to go anywhere overseas again. I am acting as a "mentor" for lack of a better word, for another young math teacher who wants to try international education.

I told him to avoid Egypt, also.

I don't even know if he is suited for IE - he refuses to post on this site because he is afraid of being found out. I have and continue to ridicule him for this.

My experience has been that 20-somethings just don't have any balls today.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

s0830887 wrote:

> Don't go to Egypt. The country is desolate and unwelcoming. The people are
> generally rude, entitled and hostile. They will lie to your face and say
> whatever is the easiest answer, and then do something completely different.
> My partner has been basically locked away at home because every time she
> goes out to do something she is heckled, harassed and grabbed at. Students
> run the schools and admin are vicious in their treatment of staff.

I get that Egypt is a Marmite country. I don't know which school you are at, nor do I know where you live. However, in the interests of balance, here's my opinions.

"The country is desolate and unwelcoming." - There is a lot which is wrong with Egypt. Some of it can't be helped - the coating of dust which permeates everything is just a fact of living in the desert. Others, like the piles of litter and rubbish, particularly in Maadi, is a lack of organisation and proper rubbish collection (which Egypt has never had.)

"The people are generally rude, entitled and hostile. They will lie to your face and say whatever is the easiest answer, and then do something completely different." - I think you are confusing some things here. Yes, there is a tendancy to say whatever is the easiest answer, to say they can do something when they can't. But that's the culture - they do that to each other just as much as to Westerners. The fact is they don't like to admit they can't do something - pride is a huge thing here. It's something you have to learn to adapt to and work out how to deal with it. Landlords are a particular problem. But to describe them all as "rude, entitled and hostile" is a huge, huge generalisation. Some of the kids in the school think they are entitled and can get away with things - it's our job as teachers to make sure that, in school at least, they don't. Again, maybe your school is different, but in mine I feel that we at least get the support to do this.

"My partner has been basically locked away at home because every time she goes out to do something she is heckled, harassed and grabbed at." - Yes, again this is a problem. And it's not a pleasant one. But others have adjusted fine, and others don't have that problem.

I don't know which compounds you've been to, but Rehab certainly doesn't operate like you describe. There are only four entrances you can get in by car, and it is pretty difficult - note that the incident this week happened outside the compound, not in it as some media reported.

Will I stay beyond my two years? Right now, I don't know. That's because we feel we're ready to move somewhere else now, possibly the Far East, simply to try something different. And even if we did that, I wouldn't rule out trying UAE, nor would I rule out Egypt - I'm sure that even Psyguy would agree that just because one person doesn't like a country for whatever reason, doesn't mean somebody else won't like it. I would still rate Egypt as a good place to start in terms of IT, though.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I guess I should also throw in a qualified, positive plug. We were in Alex and not Cairo (pre-revolution) but generally enjoyed our time there. The biggest plus for us was (ironically) the people. We found them to generally be (there I go again generalizing) kind, friendly and honest (as far as not stealing you blind). Are you seen as a very rich person by almost everyone you meet? Sure but we still found the people to be a huge plus. We became great friends with our driver to the point that he wouldn't take our money any more but continued to drive us. In Alex, at that time, being harassed, grabbed etc was still pretty rare. It never happened to my wife or any of the teachers at our school.

If you are into antiquities then Egypt is simply amazing. Even just in Alex there were Greek/Roman ruins that you could get up close and personal with. Much more so than in more developed countries. Obviously there are many other places to visit and explore within Egypt.

Would I go there now? Honestly, probably not. The potential instability and other safety concerns are a factor. But, for the right person/family that can see past or even enjoy some of the rough edges, it could be a decent posting for a few years.