Additional Income Rules

Teach1010

Additional Income Rules

Post by Teach1010 »

I've read in some reviews that schools frown upon or prohibit working outside the school (i.e. tutoring). I'm sure it varies, but does that rule tend to be decided on a school-by-school basis or is it by country? Would schools take the same take on working during the summers in your home country or teaching online for a school in your home country? I also understand that some schools enforce it more strictly than others. I would just be nervous to break labor laws in another country or be in violation of my contract.
sid

Re: Additional Income Rules

Post by sid »

Best to ask. It varies considerably from school to school and country to country.
Most schools are pretty flexible about you doing any work which doesn't interfere with your duties or create a conflict of interest. Which means tutoring has to be removed from your students or even any students at the same school in some cases.
Some governments forbid it but generally ignore it. Still, it would leave you in a tough bind if anything went awry.
And of course, in one country where it was completely illegal to work for anyone but your sponsor, the government informed my school that it needed my services for x hours per week, during school hours, sent a car for me weekly, and paid me handsomely to do curriculum work. It went on for months. It was work that I was happy and qualified to do, but the arrangement was totally illegal.
That might not be relevant, but it always made me laugh.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

All of those observations are generally true, its such a grey area that its really asking "how long is a piece of string". To address your questions:

1) Some regions enforce exclusivity by regulation and law, your visa is sponsored by a specific organization and you are permitted to work only for that organization. You cant technically work for a nother IS/DS or even privately.

2) Your visa allows you to work in a certain profession (such as education) and your work permit/license is sponsored by a certain organization. In such cases you could apply for a change to your work permit that would authorize you to work for another IS/DS. However you cant sponsor yourself to provide private instruction. In such instances your contract (a civil agreement) may or may not address exclusivity. Your IS can dismiss you if you break it, thats a big if and requires that they find out.

3) Your ability to work isnt regulated by law, but your contract does, as above this means your IS has to find out and then exercise their right to dismiss you for it. They could also potentially file suite against you for damages. Some ISs will urn a blind eye, but make record of outside instruction and then use it at the end of contract as a cause for withholding benefits.
Your IS could also report you to authorities or more often use it as a potential threat to report you to authorities.

4) How commonly and how actively this is enforced is very location dependent, answers vary. You need to be careful who you ask ETs in ESOL may be fundamentally both in rule and practice different than ITs. Ask around at your IS after-hours, and find a local expat pub and ask ITs from other institutions what they have heard. It also generally depends what the outside work is. Are you teaching ESOL and how, where, to what market. Your IS may not care if you tutor Uni students but not secondary students who may be students of the IS. The other 3common outside instruction is fine arts (mainly music) and performance arts such as athletic coaching. Lastly you have hobbies coaching such as chess, etc. You need to find out what other ITs/ETs are doing in your location.
In general (very broad strokes) most regions allow or permit or do not enforce a certain degree of outside work. The more you do privately, with cash under the table the easier and better off you will be, while minimizing risks.
Teach1010

Post by Teach1010 »

My situation is that I have been teaching part-time for an online school in the Sates for many years. It's pretty slow during the regular school year - I may be responsible for at most 7 students at a time who are all working at their own pace. It's strictly grading and answering any questions they have by email. There's no direct instruction. There are a lot more students during the summer (mostly kids recovering credit for a course they failed during the year). I could be responsible for as many as 100 students during the summer. It's very lucrative, especially during the summer, and I wouldn't be willing to give it up in order to work for an IS. It's part of how I intend to have a wider array of options of schools. Without that gig, I would have a lot more financial limitations as to which schools/regions I would be able to work for.

I believe it was a GEMS school in the UAE that I read about being very strict with the "no outside work" rule. I understand not being allowed to tutor or otherwise work in the country, but I'm wondering if since the work is technically in a different country if it would be subject to the same rules. I'm sure it varies widely by school, if it's something that most schools tend to turn a blind eye to, I may choose to omit my online work experience from my résumé in order to keep suspicions low. It still just makes me really nervous to not follow the rules in another country, though!
sid

Post by sid »

Most schools would be fine with that. No conflict at all. Governments would never notice. I'd bring it up at second interview just to clarify, but I really think it would be fine.
senator

Post by senator »

@Teach1011

How do you get a job teaching online?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Teach1011,

you will also need to consider your time zone vs your students' time zone(s). In the summer your school isn't going to care what you are doing - but summer starts later at some schools and ends earlier at others, so you would want to check that out.

Giving feedback via conferencing with students at 3:00 AM your time quickly gets old.

Shad
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Teach1010

Thanks for writing but thats about as close as a non-issue gets too rainbows and pixie dust. Plenty of ITs work on the side as examiners, tutors, consultants and proprietors of online market places.
I would disagree with @sid, dont tell them, dont bring it up. Its the ME everything you say may some day come back to bite you.
Teach1010

Post by Teach1010 »

@Senator - I would check to see if your home state has any virtual schools. This particular virtual school only hires current, local secondary teachers. Since I'm already on and have been there for several years, I don't think they will have a problem with me moving out of state as long as I still have my teaching license. It's a really good gig and there are people beating down the door to get hired there. I applied several times with no luck and then I just got lucky by knowing the right people and applying at the right time.

@shad - There is no video conferencing so I doubt that would be a problem. Like I said, it's really just grading and nagging the students to do their work! I'm sure the summer terms would not line up perfectly, but I'm prepared to deal with that.

@PsyGuy - This is the comment on ISC for a school in Abu Dhabi that prompted the question:
"You are not allowed to work and make extra money anywhere else besides the school. I have heard at other schools that the government has cracked-down on those teachers and has fined those school 50K AED."

Logic tells us it wouldn't be a conflict of interest, but one only needs to read a few ISR reviews to see that logic often doesn't prevail at ISs. I don't want to risk getting fired, fined or deported. My name is on the website for this virtual school, so if someone searched my name it's one of the first things that would come up. I believe that it won't be an issue at a vast majority of schools. It just worried me because I was really focusing on UAE as a possible destination and that comment led me to believe that a side job would not be allowed anywhere in the country.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Teach1010

Yeah, this is the ME, ISs will say all kinds of things to mitigate control over ITs, some of those ITs buy into it entirely, its how fear mongering works.
I could see potential risk if you were actually tutoring on the side locally, had a potential for a conflict of interest and actually had some way of being found out, but this isnt the case. Just dont say anything to anyone (including colleagues, someone on the faculty is a spy), you lead a dual life. Dont access that email address from your IS, dont leave papers around, or print anything related to it from the IS (you might leave a document around), treat it like a mistress, and you will be fine.
Chadekni

Post by Chadekni »

I agree with Psyguy on this one.

The extra work is online and likely to be conducted in the privacy of the teachers own accommodation, so there is no way the school or host nation will ever know unless you open your mouth about it. Unlike tutoring locally, there is no chance of a conflict of interest or being 'caught in the act'.
sid

Post by sid »

Chadekni wrote:
> there is no chance of a conflict of interest or being 'caught in the act'
Unless of course, someone googles your name.
PG's advice is frequently the same: "Don't tell the school." Doesn't seem to matter what "it" is, he doesn't advocate telling. Except when he advocates lying to the school.
My advice here is simple. This form of work is extremely unlikely to cause any issues for the school. Disclose it at the start, get approval, and keep doing what you're doing. That why, you're all good.
If you don't tell, it becomes very easy for the school to use it as a tool against you any time they wish.
There's no downside to telling, and a potential downside to not telling. So what's your best play?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Google is not likely going to reveal the identities of faculty working in a VS. Its often my advice because its good advice. @sid is also an administrator, whose goals are not aligned with those of ITs. @sids response is typically on the side of disclosure, theyre an admin. Of course they want to know, knowledge is power. Leadership can only use against you that which they know. This is also the ME and the potential downside is:

1) Youve given the leadership political currency. What an admin approves of or accepts or turns a blind eye to today, is something they can withdraw tomorrow. Why because they can, and this is the ME, they are simply going to invoke whatever the policy or contract is. Even if they write it into the contract in black and white. If they want to they can change a policy, or give you notice of contract change. What is your recourse, well nothing, you stay and take the money you do what they say, you dont, goodbye. This is the ME you have no rights. Your borrowing against your leadership before youve even begun, essentially 'they have something on you'.

2) Its leverage, this is the ME and leadership can always make the claim that if you have the time to do your VS job thats time that you are not and could be applying towards your IS job. Leadership in the ME will keep taking and taking and taking, and as long as they know about it they can keep applying pressure. Dont have time for another ASP, what about that side job thats taking up your time. Its going to become leaderships boot against your throat.

3) The conflict of interest is a red herring, the policy doesnt require you divest yourselves of a conflict of interest but to follow the contract and the policy which is far more explicit, your not allowed to work for anyone else. That is a policy and term that can be applied and enforced upon you at any time.

4) If the IS finds out thats A) work they have to do and B) They have to be successful. C) They have to be willing to use it, and the only time an IS is really going to do so is if they want to dismiss you, and at that point they are going to dismiss you anyway, the side job is just an excuse.

@sid is in error and has an agenda, there is no upside to disclosure, approval/acceptance means nothing. If there is no issue, than the IS has no need of knowing. Many leadership believe erroneously that they ahve a 'right' to know everything about you, and they perceive keeping your private and personal life private is some form of dishonesty. You are entitled to your privacy, and if this isnt an issue than its not an issue they need to know about.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

My contract states I'm not allowed to do outside tutoring either of my school's pupils or pupils from another school. I'm fine with that - I wouldn't do it anyway because I like my free time, but others find that difficult.

It's actually not that different from UK schools - under my contract in Scotland, I had to get permission from the headteacher and the local authority (my employer) but I was specifically not allowed to tutor kids who I was teaching in the classroom. That makes sense to me.
redster

Post by redster »

You might want to consult a tax expert as well, if you are issued a W-2 for work from a US based source for months you are claiming an overseas status, it could get sticky. I would be curious about the answer if anyone knows.