quick question--time is of the essence!

martalin

quick question--time is of the essence!

Post by martalin »

If I already applied to a school for a position that wasn't actually the best fit, but now want to apply to the position that is the precise fit, how do I address that in my cover letter? Do I write a completely new cover letter even though the content will be mostly the same? Do I write an identical cover letter with slight differences and risk seeming generic? Please help, this is my dream job!!!!! I can't believe it's suddenly available and want to act fast!
fine dude

Re: quick question--time is of the essence!

Post by fine dude »

Write a focused cover letter addressing the requirements of that particular position citing examples from your professional practice. A generic letter will not cut through the pile.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

New cover letter, focusing on the specifics of the vacancy you are applying for. If the content is similar reword it and structure it into unique material.
Thats the safest approach, if you want to be lazy use the same letter as before with the slight customizations, but then if you dont get the appointment youre always going to be thinking ''if Id only rewritten the cover letter''.
martalin

Post by martalin »

Agreed. I'm over-complicating an obvious situation. That said, do I mention that I applied before and was overlooked for the not quite suitable position? Or just treat it as a brand new approach?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@martalin

If you had an interview in the past, I would briefly mention that, however if all youve done is applied unsuccessfully without any human contact, than I wouldnt waste the word count on mentioning it and treat it as a new application.

You really are over ana1ysing this, I understand theirs a level of stress and anxiety, but the answer is always going to be the one that takes the most time to prepare. Thats why those are referenced as 'safe' approaches, they minimize loss.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

I'd go with psyguy's advice on this one. Add in to the mix that, if you didn't get an interview, there's every possibility that your application wasn't actually read, then you are probably getting over-stressed about it (and that's never good!)