Packing List

chanidee

Packing List

Post by chanidee »

I'm sure this topic has been discussed here in some capacity but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for (lots on shipping though so that's helpful)...and it's April so a combination of exhaustion and anxiety is setting in. I will be moving to southeast Asia. This will be only be the second time in my adult life having to pack and move (not counting college). I will luckily be moving into a furnished apartment. I don't have a lot of stuff in general so I likely won't go the shipping route and just pay for the extra bag(s) at the airport.

What do I bring with me? What do I leave behind? What do I just buy when I get there?

Aside from clothes and shoes, I already know that I will be bringing a year's worth of medication (OTC and prescription), hair and beauty products (including toothpaste, deodorant), and copies of all my important documents. That's it! I'm on the fence about everything else.

Do I bring bedding, pots/pans/cutlery, seasoning (someone suggested this and I see the logic behind it), electronics (personal printer, plug adapter), workout equipment (dumbbells etc)? I know I should bring some teaching supplies, but what?

Thanks
teller

Re: Packing List

Post by teller »

The best advice I can give you is to contact your school and ask them these questions. Some schools have checklists or recommendations as to what to bring. Your school also might put you in contact with current teachers who can answer these questions as well. You said SE Asia but unless you tell us the country forum members may have difficulty answering specifics.

If its a furnished apartment I'd say leave the pots and pans and bedding--the only time I've needed sheets were the flannel variety--don't think you'll need those in SE Asia! Many electronics today have dual voltage (check the cord, and if reads up to 240v you're good to go--just need an adapter) but I'd probably purchase a new printer rather than lug one halfway around the world. If you like to cook, definitely bring your favorite seasoning blends but also be excited for all of the new spices you'll find in Asia.

Here's some info about adapters in SE Asia:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... heast-asia
chanidee

Post by chanidee »

Thanks Teller!

I will be in Indonesia.
The school does have a list of suggested items (I pretty much have all of those covered), and in a month or so they will be assigning a "buddy" that I can annoy with all my questions lol, but I'm getting anxious!

I guess I also wanted some thoughts about those one off items that people forget to include on the general lists
sid

Post by sid »

What size are you? If you're petite, you're moving to happy land for clothes and shoes. If you've every been considered tallish or largish in any way, you will probably have a very tough time finding clothes and shoes, so take extra.
You'll probably be wearing a lot of sandals. They will wear out fast, especially if you get caught in the rain, and you will. If you have feet that are too big for Indonesia, bring more shoes than you think you need.
Most seasonings are easily available, but there are a few that can be hard to source in SE Asia. Tarragon and cumin come to mind. And curry is sold in massive bags, so if you prefer to deal with a US sized spice bottle, bring your own.
Sheets and towels are very individual. Schools often provide (check on this) but when they do it's typically pretty low quality stuff. If you like a little luxury in this area, bring towels, and be prepared to buy sheets on arrival. Bed sizes are different and you can never be really sure what size you'll have in the end, so very little point bringing your own sheets.
Pots and pans are often supplied, but ask for a list so you can see what will and won't be there. Usually they supply just the basics, and low to medium quality. My friends have often been perfectly happy with that, but since I take my cooking way too seriously I have "needed" to supplement and/or completely replace what I've been given.
No need to bring toiletries like toothpaste, shampoo, basic vitamins. It's all available. Maybe bring a couple months supply so you're not having to find it all on your first day, but unless you have very specific needs, you'll find most everything. Try googling Indonesia plus drugstores and see what's out there. Guardian and Watsons are pretty good. For higher end products, the malls have beauty counters with all the big names, and the fancy hairdressers sell international brands.
Go easy with medication too. Bring written prescriptions to match everything in your bag, and remember that OTC drugs are pretty easy to get. Again, bring some stuff to get you started, but you won't need a year's worth. And you don't want to be explaining that amount of drugs, of any kind, in your luggage.

Talk to your school. Ask your buddy about specific brands. And be ready to try some new stuff. What's the point of moving if you're just going to recreate your life back home?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I travel lite, checked baggage and my carryon. To start it really depends where your going, and how big of a city your headed too. My suggestion list:

1) Medical: You dont know when your health insurance is going to kick in, when youll have a chance to see a doctor, and a lot of other factors. Generally medication is MUCH cheaper out of the states. Have your prescriptions written in their chemical/empirical formulation (Tylenol is not Acetaminophen its Paracetamol). Have your doctor write a letter listing all your medications, dosages, and what you take them for. Have your doctor stamp it with their department of health stamp. Have your optometrist do the same for your glasses/contact lens. If you use contacts research in advance whats available. Some of the newer lenses arent available yet in many places. Having that little white prescription slip, just isnt the same. Some places require a medical examination and blood work for a visa/work permit. Talk with your school about this in advance, some schools will want you to have it done in advance some schools will take you to a clinic when you arrive. Understand that many Asian countries will not admit you if you have HIV or TB (thats the reason for the blood work and chest x-ray). You might want to have a physical before you leave and a letter about any chronic or current medical conditions you have. Im on the fence about vaccinations. Im vaccinated against everything practically, but unless your teaching out in a very rural or undeveloped area (such as a jungle) about the only thing id really recommend is hep a and hep b. If your traveling to Africa you HAVE to have a yellow fever vaccination, even if the area isnt endemic now, you dont know how it will change.

2) Documentation: Bring AND have uploaded a copy of your contract, work permit, airline itinerary, passport, drivers license (including international driving permit/IDP). You should also have copies of your kids birth certificates and your marriage certificate (as well as their passports and other documents).
If your planing on driving in your new country you might need an IDP. They are only good for a year, but Ive heard people get and pay for 2 of them and just have them dated for subsequent years. That said if your REALLY going to drive you need to get a local license at some point, try to AVOID giving them your USA drivers license as in some countries they find their way on the black market. Your passport is the most important document, and you should register with the nearest embassy/consulate in your area when you arrive. Avoid walking around with your passport, yes you can be asked for it anytime, but the only time you really HAVE to have it is when your going to the bank, checking into a hotel, going to the consulate and registering at the police/immigration office. The rest of the time carry a photo copy of the ID page and your visa page. If you ever get stopped and asked why you dont have the original tell them your very sorry, and you didnt know, but loosing your passport is a time consuming and expensive process, you have to replace the passport AND the visa. Once you get a PR/or alien registration card, carry that with you. Lastly have copies of important banking, including credit card numbers and checking account and routing (ISBN and SWIFT) numbers if you have bills back home to pay or plan on doing a wire transfer.

3) Personal care: So basically unless your really brand loyal to a certain product (shampoo, shaving cream, makeup, razor blade) you can most likely find a local available brand. If your happy with any shampoo for instance you will be fine. When you start getting picky thats when you have problems. Most stores will have one (maybe 2) international brands and unless you understand the language you will recognize them from their packaging. These tend to be the most expensive as well. Some things are just not available (if you use a new razor, you might not be able to find the blade refills), in which case you have to consider the cost of ordering them online or having someone back home send them to you, or switching. Its very impractical except for small things that have a long reuse time to bring enough of something for a whole year (things like soap, shampoo, mouthwash, etc). Ive had several ethnic coworkers who were very unhappy they couldnt get certain hair care products.
Personally, the two things i have trouble with finding are antiperspirant and contact lenses. I use to have a problem finding rubbing alchohol, but then i just bought a bottle of 180 proof grain alchohol and problem solved.
Woman have it harder, guys need like a dozen things tops woman seem to amass a never ending number of bath/beauty stuff (i had a teacher this year who couldnt find a ped egg, (i dont know what that is), but took her months to stop complaining about it). If you HAVE to have proactive or some other very specific bathroom thing, you need to find out if its available and then decide if its important enough to you to order and ship overseas. Lastly, if you ever need to find something the airport may have a shop that carries your specific item, and also try asking or checking at one of the international hotels in your area. Sometimes the concierge can direct you to a supplier, or you may find that a shop in the surrounding area has it. You may also be surprised what you can buy from a hotel directly. I had the hardest time finding frosted flakes and was at a hotel brunch once that had frosted flakes, and then talked to the restaurant manager who was happy to sell me boxes of it (though it was expensive).

On a side note hotels are AMAZING resources. Need to send an international fax, no problem. Need something translated, they can do that. Want to go for a swim, ask about a daily facility pass. Want a bottle of Moscatto, the wine steward can take care of you. Need a haircut with someone who understand English, they probably have a salon, and if they dont have it, they can tell you where to find it. Want to find a certain place, walk up to a hotels front desk and say your sorry but your trying to get to such and such place and they will write the name of the place down on the back of a business card in the local language then write the name of the place in English on the front and show the card to a cab driver.

4) Clothes: It should be no surprise, that you should find out the weather on your region and plan according, (you will not need a lot of sweaters in Singapore, but you will need a light jacket, sweater or wrap. Outside Singapore is hot and humid but INSIDE the air-con is set at 65-70). Some places have wet seasons where everyday you need an umbrella, dont bring one but buy one there. Check or ask about your schools dress code, some schools are fine with casual dress (khakis and shirt), some expect business attire (shirt/tie/jacket). As far as wardrobe stick with one or at max two themes. Blacks and neutrals work well for me., these type of overall themes are easy to adapt with accessories (Its easier to bring one black suit, and 5 ties, then 5 black suits and one tie). Woman have the hardest time with this because they have "outfits" that are composed of individual pieces that dont work with anything else in their wardrobe. Thats a lot of space for one days cloths. I think everyone should have one stunning piece and thats it. Understand that you may or may not have a washer and dryer. You will likely have access to a washer, but in a number of countries they dont use have dryer, you line dry your cloths. As such you should bring clothes that are machine washable, and anti wrinkle or no iron. Plan your wardrobe for longevity. There is little use in bringing 20 pairs of socks, socks are cheap and easy to find. Same thing with button down shirts and other "basics".

The only two things that are must haves are 1) large sized shoes (above a 10) and large cupped bras (above a B) are next to impossible to find in a lot of asian countries. if your loyal (or your kids) are to "American" brand anything like A&F, Aeropostale, Hollister, etc, those brands are not likely to be available locally, or at very high (almost couture) prices. 2) Deodorant/Antiperspirant. Asians dont sweat like some Caucasians do. If your one of those people that will soak a shirt in perspiration after 30 minutes in the heat buy a lot of t-shirts when you get there, but bring whatever your deodorant/antiperspirant is. Even if the brand is available locally its likely not the same formula. Most of the stuff you find in Asia is deodorant (it covers up the smell), but isnt an anti-perspirant (reduces the amount of perspiration you do).

5) Electronics: Bring your laptop, tablet, etc. Make sure you brink the adapter and a plug convertor. Be wary of other computer devices, most of them will need transformers and things like hard drives could easily short or overload. Things like hard drives, scanners, printers, are affordable and readily available. Of course if you need the hard drive because of the data, then you need it.
Smart phones are a maybe, if you have a GSM phone and can get it unlocked then bring it. If your on Verizon, or Sprint or other CDMA carrier, know that most of the rest of the world uses GSM, and your phone isnt likely to work. Maybe if you have a high end SLR camera, and wont settle for a phone camera bring that (but thats a lot of bulk). Aside from that the only other thing id recommend are an electric razor (if its dual power). Hairdryers and other small electronics are generally inexpensive cheap.
DVD's are a maybe, on one hand you can watch them on your laptop, and there isnt likely to be a lot of English language or American programing. Everywhere Ive gone there has been only a couple channels. That said region 1 DVD (USA) probably wonk work in a foreign DVD player, and an American DVD player (NTSC) is not going to support a foreign video standards. In many asian countries DVDs can be DIRT cheap, like $.25-$.50 each (yeah they are counterfeit), but thats the way it is.

6) Personal Items: I always travel with a very high quality chefs knife, its hand made (I made it) and it almost never needs more than honing (Ive had it sharpened once). Why? I can cook stirfry or pasta and a sauce in any pot, but I cant reduce vegetables or other raw food with a cheap knife that has no edge. I personally would pass on the spices. Ive yet been to any location I cant get what i want, sometimes it takes a while or I just buy from a hotel (pricey) but my spice need are generally basic: salt (some regions have a wide variety of salt) pepper, oregano, basil, rosemary and cinnamon. I do have a weakness for vanilla bean and saffron, but id prefer to buy them local then take them with me.
If there are items you really really are attached to and you can get them in your baggage than fine. Keep it to a minimum though. Try to minimize any valuables such as jewelry, watches, etc. A man needs a wedding ring and a wrist watch. A woman her wedding band, necklace and a watch. Thats it.

In regards to linens, if you bring them because you want high quality sheets, bring flat sheets (the ones without elastic) as opposed to fitted sheets (the ones with elastic) fitted sheets are multipurpose you can use a flat sheet as a fitted sheet by tucking the access material under the mattress. Fitted sheets may basically not fit. Skip the towels entirely, they take up to much room and you can buy them cheaply.
As for pots/pans, im not that much a foodie, but the space they take up isnt worth it, you can get quality items just about anywhere. There is going to be a restaurant supply store that sells cheap but high quality items.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I would agree with a lot of Psy Guy's comments (although not always his reasons).

I would ask specific questions of your "buddy" about the quality of the furnished items. I've gotten aluminum silverware that bent on pasta, pans so thin everything burned the minute they hit the heat, towels that didn't dry, etc. For many things you can buy them when you arrive, so you have figure the start-up versus shipping costs. If you have an Ikea near, then you're really OK because you can get good quality low cost things.

I always bring towels, and fitted sheets. I also bring 2-3 good knives, and a good pot and a good frying pan. I bring tampons and shampoo/conditioner (because I have a specific need). I bring a year's supply of a cold medicine that really works and a 3 month's supply of everything else which allows me to get settled. I usually bring a lot of sunscreen and bug spray--it's pricey overseas and we go through a lot.

For spices I bring ones that are harder to find overseas--taco, chipotle, jerk paste. We usually bring some pre-packaged marinades and rubs, too (I have a crockpot and it makes family cooking so much easier on busy days). I also bring turkey gravy for Thanksgiving!

I also make sure I always bring a few things that are meaningful and will make the new place feel like home. As our storage back home piles up, we do carry some things with us that remind us of other places we've lived. I want my kids to have every home feel like home quickly, and familiar objects are part of that. We leave the big things behind for sure.

It really does depend on your location. Our first few years we way overpacked instead of just getting things in the country. When we were in Asia and Saudi, we could pick things up easily at markets and Ikea. In Brazil, the cost of living is crazy and the valuation of the currency means we take a hit on our income so picking things up here is ridiculous--I can pay $12 for 1 piece of tupperware. We've made do our first year and lived very minimally--but I'm bringing back a LOT from the States and it will be cheaper to pay for an extra bag than purchase everything here.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

As a brief commentary to @mamava, really think about your cooking needs. Yes you can get cheap aluminum flatware that bends and you can get flimsy steel pots and pans that burn easily, but a big issue is how much do you plan on cooking and whts the eating culture of your destination. Do you need a big western breakfast everyday, or is a pastry and juice/coffee more you and your families style? Are you going to prepare lunches for everyone or eat at your IS? Its very cheap to eat out in Indonesia especially in Jakarta and Bali compared to the cost of food preparation at home (your likely going to have a 2 burner gas range or similar, and no oven). It wouldnt be uncommon at all to have a 'continental' breakfast at home, eat at your IS and eat out for your evening meal, at least on weekdays. On the weekends you have 1-2 sit down full meals (dinner) what do you need to make those happen?
In addition to the lack of an oven, you wont likely have a dishwasher (you will likely have a sanitizer) and your cold box/refrigerator may be small. This means at a certain point your doing a lot of soups/stews, pasta/sauce and rice/stirfry dishes because thats what you can do on a stove top burner.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I have lived in a number of mostly developing countries (although not in Asia) and I have found the following things hard to find, to varying degrees:

- chili powder
- brown sugar
- good-quality earplugs
- BC pills (depends on the country)
- sunscreen
- bug spray
- CONTACT LENS SOLUTION (this one is almost impossible to find in some of the places I've lived.)

I wouldn't bring a lot of household goods. Instead, bring stuff that will make your new home feel like home.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I'll approach this from the other ending - leaving!
Of course it also depends on how long you intend to stay. I usually travel in light with my maximium baggage allowance and carry on. I have certainly shipped out of a country with more - including a container load of furniture, etc but that won't happen again any time soon. I have previously met two veteran teachers who travel with 2 container loads of their personal furniture and stuff and while that meant their accommodation was home from home it seems like an insane burden and cost even if you planned to stay put for 5 years or more.
In terms of electrical goods, I have been lucky in working in the ME where the goods I have bought can be used without adapters 'back home' since the voltage and plugs are the same so keeping rather than selling on worked out for me. North American colleagues have not had it so lucky.
Depending on where you are in Asia, electronics can be pretty reasonable or ridiculously expensive (Philippines).
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I would definitely recommend citronella lotion for keeping the bugs away and if the location requires it a good quality mosquito net (and deet refresher spray). Being a big chap with big feet I have to rely on my brought-with clothes and shoes for many areas. Personally I almost always replace the usual school provided plastic kettle with a quality stainless steel one - healthier in my opinion.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

So much of this depends on the region you go to, and has many factors.

1) Something like Chili powder may be difficult to find because its not a spice itself but a composite of spices blended together. You nay not be able to find chilli powder but you could probably find the components to make your own, such as combining: 6 parts whole cumin seeds, 6 parts garlic powder, 3 part dried oregano, 1 part smoked paprika, and then the amount of dried/roasted/steamed chillies you want to taste and that are available (if desperate you can substitute red pepper flake). Put this is a cheap coffee grinder or blender and blend until its a fine powder wait a minute before opening the grinder blender for the dust to settle. Pour slowly into a jar and it will keep about 6 months to a year.

As an alternative do a search for a tex/mex restaurant in the area, and on a slow day ask to speak to the kitchen manager and offer to purchase some of their chili powder, this is expensive but convenient. The chef/manager may as an alternative just direct you to their supplier or know a local retail supplier you can find it.

2) Brown sugar is another one of those items that is difficult to find only because its not an actual product but a composite ingredient. In the states brown sugar is sugar that isnt fully refined into white sugar. In most other regions it is artificially created by adding molasses to white sugar, slowly folder together and allowed to try for some of the water to evaporate. You can do the same, if you cant locate molasses (its not common) you can create a close substitute by combining 5-10 parts white sugar with 1 part maple syrup (easier to find). Mix the ingredients in a bowl (or zip lock bag) and leave exposed to air for several hours (depending on the humidity, dry arid air less time, humid tropical air more time) and then either move to a airtight jar or just seal the bag and either store unrefrigerated for up to a month (i recommended making it when you need it) or store in the refrigerator for up to a month.

A local alternative you can often find in Asia is 'palm sugar'. It comes in a large pressed disk wrapped in plastic and you just break of the amount you need.

3) While expensive the best location Ive had in my experience for earplugs is the local international airport. Pricey but you will likely find recognizable international brands. Again, these can be pricey.

4)Sunscreen is often not found in non-beach resort locations, and when it is its found in small bottles that are designed for applications to the face and are located in woman's skin care products in a large pharmacy or can be found at a local infant/baby store pharmacy.

5) It depends on what you mean by bug spray if you are referring to products such as "Raid" these may be highly regulated. Talk to your ISs maintenance department and ask for a suggestion, they may be able to direct you to their supplier or may be able to sell you what you need on their next order. If that doesnt work, approach you nearest convenient international hotel that has an outdoor pool, they usually spray the area in the morning before opening to provide their guests with a better experience.
If your looking for products such as "Off" your best option is to ask around. if you cant find it readily available. My experience is that such products are available but usually at a specialty store.

6) BC pills (Birth control): I advise bringing enough for a year, especially if going to an Asian location as the dose is slightly higher for westerners and the local Asian brand may not be available. If you dont bring enough talk to your home health care provider about modifying local availability. You may have to use dual packs and take 1.5 tablets (on day X for example, you take 1 tablet from that monthly supply for that day, and half the tablet of another monthly pack for that day. Essentially 2 packs will last you 3 months of the local available product.) I would also advise having your health care provider write you a script for 'Plan B' for a couple doses/events, as outside of Europe this is often unavailable especially in the ME.
If your a guy (or active in the social scene) condoms are another item to be highly vigilant about. The issue depending on the region (such as Asia) doesnt often have high quality control, and it may be difficult to discern latex type condoms from animal skin condoms. Sometimes you just need trial and error. Start with asking a local pharmacist (and ask for the manager), what to use and what you want. Dont be foolled by brand looking names you can find "Trojans" that are knockoffs or counterfeit. This will sound odd, but secondly, ask the local sex worker or love hotel what they use. Go early in the evening (as lunch is a busy time) and just as the receptionist at the love hotel or the the tout handing out business cards for various "introduction services" and call the number the person answering the phone often has a decent amount of English proficiency and just ask what they use and where to get them.
Lastly if you are being treated for ED (Erect!le D!sfunct!on) ::sigh:: bring enough to last however long you need outside of the WE. Honestly its to much hassle to find the real thing in a dosage you will be happy with. Especially if you are a western Caucasian in Asia. Face is very important in Asia and no local would ever use such a product. Male verility is just an assumption that is often treated with a m!stress not pharmacology. The other issue is that V!agra may be available as a street drug, but its often counterfeit and may or may not have enough (or any) active ingredients, you may be getting more than a blue colored placebo.

7) Contact Lens solution is often available from an optometrist or pharmacist and not available in a general good shop. You will often find when it is available its a local brand and maybe one international brand (my experience has been that "Renu" is the most common). Be prepared to accept a substitute and ask the manager on duty (who is likely to have the best English ability) how its used (big difference between the enzyme multipurpose solutions and those that use a hydrogen peroxide system. In some regions the heat disinfectant solution is still the most common system which uses a plug in or battery powered case and normal saline to disinfect contacts. This process greatly reduces the life of contacts as the heat tends to deform the plastic used in contacts. As a last option you can always switch to daily disposable contacts and disregard the need for solutions, but this is expensive). Before looking take a photo of your bottle on your phone (even if it is in English) and use Google translate to translate it into the local language. Someone somewhere will have it though you may have to travel to a larger more metropolitan area to get it. A local pharmacist may offer to order it for you, so plan in advance.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

A lot of that sounds like a lot of work!

I'm a generally lazy person, so brown sugar and chili power goes in my bag.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

Fair enough.
chanidee

Post by chanidee »

Ok! This conversation got super specific and I love it lol. Thanks a lot guys, very helpful