Traveling with a small dog

Teach1010

Traveling with a small dog

Post by Teach1010 »

In considering which regions/countries I would be interested in working in, the biggest deal breaker has been the requirement for dogs to arrive as cargo or be subjected to quarantine upon arrival. I have traveled with my 10 lb. dog as carry-on luggage within the U.S. several times before with no problems. I just had to pay a $100-$200 fee. Each airline has its own policies on accepting carry-on pets and I am willing to research and select the airline that will be most accommodating, but as I understand it certain countries (UAE and Oman, to name a few) will only allow pets to be imported as cargo and other countries have required quarantine time, regardless of the health of the dog (China and several small island nations). I've read too many horror stories about dogs escaping while in cargo or arriving dead or injured and the same could be said for quarantine. While I'm sure only the bad stories are reported, I just don't think I could subject my dog to either of those situations knowing the risks.

In the U.S., it is not uncommon for people to have a psychiatrist prescribe and register a dog as an "emotional support animal" in order to have the same benefits that someone with a service dog for a physical disability (like blindness) might have. In terms of air travel, this means they would avoid the $100-$200 fee and be allowed to have the dog travel in the cabin and be out its crate. Airlines are too worried about being sued for denying the rights of someone with a disability. While I've never done it myself and I feel that it is morally questionable, at best, to "fake a disability" in order to avoid paying $100, I would be willing to consider it in the name of the health and safety of my dog if it would allow him to bypass quarantine or avoid having to fly as cargo.

My questions is this: has anyone done this or heard of someone else doing this while traveling internationally to avoid quarantine or cargo requirements? I'm sure it varies by country since not all countries are as concerned about the rights of the disabled as we are in the U.S. Have you heard of any other creative ways that people have avoided restrictions on traveling with animals?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

An ESA letter will get your pet on the plane but will do nothing for avoiding or evading a regions quarantine or laws regarding the importation of live animals. Those US rules for ESAs are supported by the ADA and the US ADA regulations/laws have zero authority in another country. At best you would want to ficus on a country or region that had minimal quarantine laws or ideally allowed you to complete quarantine requirements while still in the US (this process when available essentially amounts to certification by your vet that they are disease free, and then a prescribed length of time in boarding or other facility, even at home where they do not have any contact with outside animals, and then another certification evaluation before leaving).

Depending on the country, quarantine is actually pretty nice, its likely more stressful on you than it is the animal. Like you I was limited in information to horror stories, but having met ITs who brought pets, the number of horror stories is exceedingly rare, if anything the airline not the quarantine facility is going to be the one to abuse your animal.
chilagringa

Re: Traveling with a small dog

Post by chilagringa »

I think that if you look at the number of dogs that fly every year you will see that the horror stories are few and far between. My dog probably has more chance of running intro traffic and getting hit by a car when I let him off leash at the park, than he does of dying when I fly him to my next post.

PsyGuy is probably right - moving a dog is often more stressful on the owner than the dog. A friend of mine flew her dog to my current international school. She was a complete wreck all day, but the dog just wagged his tail excitedly when they reunited.

That said, I would probably avoid moving to a country with long quarantines (like China) for MY sanity in addition to my dog's health. And whenever possible I will drive far, far out of my way so I can take a direct flight.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

FYI, China's quarantine policies vary depending on where you import the dog. In Beijing it's a month. In Shanghai I've heard it's either 1 or 2 weeks. In Guangzhou you are supposed to observe a "home quarantine" of 30 days, but as long as you come with the proper documentation, you can take them home the same day whether they are brought in as excess baggage or cargo.

Specifically for China, if you are bringing animals in as cargo (excess baggage is much more manageable), you pretty much need a company on the Chinese side to sort it out. The bureaucracy is extreme and even being a Chinese speaker won't help you.

I've known lots of colleagues to bring dogs and cats into China successfully. I would share your concern with animals dealing with quarantine here.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@eion_padraig

Another option specifically for China is to come through HK. The bureaucracy is much more manageable by yourself, and less expensive to fly in to HK and then take a regional.
koda

Post by koda »

Hi,
I travel with my small dog, and she always goes in cabin with me. I make that a stipulation when booking my flights. In fact, when choosing schools I always ask can I bring my dog with me and share my concerns about traveling with her. So far, I have not run into any problems. European airlines are incredibly friendly towards animals and I loved traveling with her there. Going to Asia is far more difficult, but also manageable. There is a Korean airline that will allow small animals in cabin, most of the other Asian airlines require the pet to be cargo or excess baggage. Quarantine requirements are also more specific in Asia, but if you do your research, you can find which airports to go into. If you are going to China, there are a few airports that have "home quarantine" rather than institutional quarantine- many people will fly first into those airports and then move onto others. You can always contact a pet travel company and ask your questions without committing to using their services. I used one the first time I went to be double sure the paperwork was correct. But then I learned what to ask, and how to do the paperwork, and I've done it on my own ever since. Let me know if you have specific questions. I know how important our little dogs can be- and I've loved having her with me, and she has loved every home we've had. My friends in the state are jealous, as she's traveled more than they have!