Brazil, Norway, Philippines

wanderworld

Brazil, Norway, Philippines

Post by wanderworld »

I am having a very informal discussion tomorrow with a school in Southern Norway. A school in Curitiba, Brazil also reached out yesterday to talk, and I'm looking at a position in Cebu, Philippines. I really don't know much about any of these places, but especially not Brazil or the Philippines as I've never been to these parts of the world. I've at least traveled extensively in Europe. Any suggestions/opinions, etc on life in any or all?
Thanks!
mamava

Re: Brazil, Norway, Philippines

Post by mamava »

I am currently in Brazil--great people, great weather, good food, big cities. The economy here is struggling--prices are VERY high (I'm in Sao Paulo which is often considered the highest, but our travel experiences to Rio and other places have shown much the same). The dollar to real tanked and so your income is significantly impacted, esp. when you send money home. If you are talking to a school in Brazil, I would ask very straightforward questions about what is provided, is that enough to cover expenses (housing allotment, for example), are there income protections in place (our school provides a percentage of our income guaranteed from fluctuation), what if prices go up past the amount given (again, housing), etc. It didn't stop us from coming and we had our new teachers hired pretty early, but for many others, it was enough to have them move on. That's the biggest issue here--lifestyle, travel, and everything else in Brazil is lovely.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends what you want to know. Norway will probably be the most western for you. If you want something warmer and more island life the Philippines will give you that. Brazil would be the best location in CSA. A lot of factors depend on what type of IS it is.
Nomad68

Re: Brazil, Norway, Philippines

Post by Nomad68 »

Cost of living in Norway is very high - it would be doable as a singleton but of you have a family to support I think it might be hard to save anything. More of an experience/lifestyle choice location. Cebu is ok but not as good as Manila and the salaries I have seen offered there are low. The IS I know of in Cebu is 3rd tier and a low payer but a happier place to be at since the previous Head moved on.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

While the cost of living in many of the fennoscandia regions is high, you get value for those taxes. Amazing health care, lots of paid leave for medical (maternity and paternity leave, disability leave), great transportation, free or nearly free tertiary education, etc. Yes you have high taxes, but those taxes come back to you, not some corporation or other organization that at best wants to sell you something.