Question for Brits - NowTV

Helen Back

Question for Brits - NowTV

Post by Helen Back »

Not a teaching related question, but as someone asked about book apps, I thought I might ask this.

I was in Vietnam recently and the TV in my friends hotel room had a little internet box that streamed all the free UK channels. Didn't get the name of the box unfortunately. Has anybody else done this? The NowTV boxes are available on Amazon for less than £20. Would it require a VPN? It seems doubtful that this hotel would have a hotelwide VPN. But I would have thought the box was geo-blocked. Thoughts?
overseaslifer

Re: Question for Brits - NowTV

Post by overseaslifer »

I would guess the VPN was installed on the wifi router itself. That way all devices connected to the wifi are covered by the VPN.

You can do this with your home wifi - apparently it's not that complicated although I have yet to try it with my own connection.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Hotels much like airlines can negotiate special packages of programing that simply are not available to consumers. Likely the box accessed and decoded a satellite stream that was specially authorized to carry that line of programing under contract from a provider.
expatscot

Re: Question for Brits - NowTV

Post by expatscot »

www.filmon.com

This has all the UK freeview channels, all the French channels bar TF1, and a number of others too. It has apps for iPad and iPhone too, so really useful just now for the rugby ;-)
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

Thank you, very nice.